Now im pretty sure that the IPOD was not an mp3 player!

Edited by:"GwanGy"Found 26th Aug 2017
as the title I am old enuff to remeber the ipod coming out and thinking yeah, its great an all BUT IT DOESNT SUPPORT MP3 so it will never catch on.

Obviuslly Jill Bobs relented and added MP3 support later (sooner) but every article I read fails to state that. Apple keep trying to introduce their own standards (a bit like Sony) but this is one attempt where the masses won and Steve jobs didnt.
firewire, special connectors, all desperate attempts to lock people in. IOS too.

HA where do they think that strategy will get them!?

this question should have been on QI as s fry is a big apple fan

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
12 Comments

Whats the question?

So you're not 100% sure but pretty sure. I'm not sure what you mean by the masses as well because it was a pretty bespoke device at launch. Most mp3s at the time were illegal downloads as well.

OGG FTW

The goal is isolating the consumer base and creating an insular eco system to put people off buying out or using non Apple services and products.

Apple phone? Get an Apple watch.

Need certain file types? Might aswell purchase via iTunes as you know they work.

Mandela Effect?

We had slighly bigger problems in my day!

31806563-SAq41.jpg

You're definitely misremembering. Here's a link to the original press release from October 2001 when the iPod was first announced. It clearly states: "iPod plays music in the popular MP3, MP3 VBR (variable bit rate), AIFF and WAV formats" Support for AAC was only added in April 2003. It was then that the iTunes Store launched, selling music in AAC format with DRM which meant only Apple products could play them, I think that's what you're thinking of.

It was Mac only for the first 2 years, that's why it didn't catch on immediately. It was developed as an accessory for Mac owners who had firewire, which wasn't proprietary it was open to others to use, they generally weren't in the business of making hardware or software for Windows machines previously, they just saw how desirable it had become and realised there was more money to be made by opening it up than leaving it closed in the hope of driving Mac sales.

please tell me you didn't refuse to buy Apple shares based on that incorrect assumption?

the first gen of iPod came out in 2001.. I remember my parents renting a VHS Player along with the film...

I'm with the OP, I remember that you had to convert MP3 to AAC through itunes to sync to ipod. Apple did later add MP3 support

But I might be remembering wrong too though

Nope, people remembering wrong. The first iPod with the scroll wheel played AAC, MP3, Wav and AIFF files. The major thing was the lack of PC compatibility because of FireWire and the lack of iTunes. When Apple moved to USB chargers that really opened up PC use as it coincided with iTunes for PC.

iPod 'Classics' and minis from start to finish had to either be formatted for Mac or formatted for PC via iTunes as well. iOS devices have never had a 'disk mode' so never needed formatting specifically for either a PC or MAC user.

In terms of pushing standards Apple never really pushed AAC over MP3, example is their marketing "5,000 songs in the palm of your hand"..... the caveat being that's in MP3 format, not lossless codecs.

The one major area Apple went against the norm was the use MP4 and their own variant M4V for video files, the MV4 contains meta data such as pictures and text for actors names and descriptions. The iPod video only supported MP4 which at the time was a pure pain, most if not all videos online were PC/Microsoft formatted WMV files so had to be converted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants