Now TV

Posted 7th Jan
Thinking of cancelling our Virgin Contract, I’ve just got a free 7 day trial of Now TV, it’s got all the channels we need on the entertainment pass. Is there any sort of box we can get that records a few channels at a time & pauses etc like the V6 box does & will it record the now tv or just what’s on freeview?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

42 Comments
You can download tv shows on nowtv
12345432107/01/2020 19:47

You can download tv shows on nowtv

Didn’t know that. How long can u keep them for & how do u download?
claire751907/01/2020 20:14

Didn’t know that. How long can u keep them for & how do u download?

You can keep them for as long as you have your pass. There should be a download option when you click on one
39617845-NPz29.jpg
There are Now TV set-Top boxes that also have freeview built in.
But as all the sky channels and freeview channels can be watched on catchup (iPlayer, ITV player, UKTV) or through the inbuilt boxsets on the now TV there isn’t really need to record anything anymore.

To answer your question though- I don’t think there is a way to record shows.
12345432107/01/2020 20:17

[Image]

This is on your phone on the now TV app yeah? - you can download for watching on the go - but you can’t download on the stick/box on your TV.
adamtattonreid07/01/2020 20:24

This is on your phone on the now TV app yeah? - you can download for …This is on your phone on the now TV app yeah? - you can download for watching on the go - but you can’t download on the stick/box on your TV.

Yeah but you can cast from your phone to the tv
12345432107/01/2020 20:25

Yeah but you can cast from your phone to the tv

True, but I’m fairly sure you can only download the ones available as boxsets anyway. But useful if you were away from home.
You can also do the same with amazon prime video and cast to a TV - we did this from my sons tablet when we went on holiday last year.
Ok thanks.

The reason I wanted a record option is the worse half loves all the Sky TV American crap, he binge watches it when I’m not here. He’s got loads on record at the moment.
Just rang Virgin and the cheapest package they’ll give me is £80.50
claire751907/01/2020 20:38

Ok thanks.The reason I wanted a record option is the worse half loves all …Ok thanks.The reason I wanted a record option is the worse half loves all the Sky TV American crap, he binge watches it when I’m not here. He’s got loads on record at the moment.Just rang Virgin and the cheapest package they’ll give me is £80.50

If you have the app on a spare phone or tablet download what you want on there then you can cast better option imo than paying so much

Ok thanks.The reason I wanted a record option is the worse half loves all …Ok thanks.The reason I wanted a record option is the worse half loves all the Sky TV American crap, he binge watches it when I’m not here. He’s got loads on record at the moment.Just rang Virgin and the cheapest package they’ll give me is £80.50

What sort of American crap? Now TV has thousands of USA series boxsets on there from Fox, Atlantic, Crime etc if that’s the sort of thing?
adamtattonreid07/01/2020 20:47

What sort of American crap? Now TV has thousands of USA series boxsets on …What sort of American crap? Now TV has thousands of USA series boxsets on there from Fox, Atlantic, Crime etc if that’s the sort of thing?

Take a look here: nowtv.com/gb/…hts

We’ve had now TV for a couple of years now- we have kids, entertainment and movies and pay less than £20 a month and barely touch most of the boxsets on there.
39618263-vOhj1.jpg
The trick is to choose to cancel your pass when it’s about to run out - choose ‘it’s too expensive’ as the reason and you’ll immediately be offered a deal for the next 3-4 months at about 50-60% of the full price- these are what I’m currently paying for unlimited TV and Movies! Saving hundreds of pounds a year.
adamtattonreid07/01/2020 20:20

There are Now TV set-Top boxes that also have freeview built in.But as all …There are Now TV set-Top boxes that also have freeview built in.But as all the sky channels and freeview channels can be watched on catchup (iPlayer, ITV player, UKTV) or through the inbuilt boxsets on the now TV there isn’t really need to record anything anymore. To answer your question though- I don’t think there is a way to record shows.

But apart from BBC iplayer all the others have loads of adverts that you cannot fast forward. You can on recordings.
Craig201807/01/2020 21:02

But apart from BBC iplayer all the others have loads of adverts that you …But apart from BBC iplayer all the others have loads of adverts that you cannot fast forward. You can on recordings.

No adverts at all on the sky channel catch up shows, only itv player and more 4 etc.
And to be honest- 5 mins of adverts per show to save £60 a month... no brainer.
adamtattonreid07/01/2020 20:53

Take a look here: …Take a look here: https://www.nowtv.com/gb/watch/entertainment/highlightsWe’ve had now TV for a couple of years now- we have kids, entertainment and movies and pay less than £20 a month and barely touch most of the boxsets on there.

NCIS & all that sort of stuff, didn’t realise it was available for 30 days once it’s shown. We have a smart TV so can get now TV on that so just need a free-view box with a recording option for the FV channels. Just seen you can watch on 3 different devices for an extra 3 quid a month too which is even better, thanks so much for your help, going to go ahead & cancel VM tomorrow
Edited by: "claire7519" 7th Jan
claire751907/01/2020 21:29

NCIS & all that sort of stuff, didn’t realise it was available for 30 days …NCIS & all that sort of stuff, didn’t realise it was available for 30 days once it’s shown. We have a smart TV so can get now TV on that so just need a free-view box with a recording option for the FV channels. Just seen you can watch on 3 different devices for an extra 3 quid a month too which is even better, thanks so much for your help, going to go ahead & cancel VM tomorrow

Excellent- glad I could help. Fairly sure they stay on there longer than 30 days - my wife is into all that stuff and has been re watching Bones, suits, CSI, Dexter etc from series 1 this past few months.

You can watch on 2 devices at the same time as standard. We have 3 in our house but rarely need to be using more than 2 at once so don’t pay the extra for 3.

All the best.
Keep your eyes on cdkeys for passes once you get crap retention offers. Never pay full price.
This might help get you started - just for the passes alone! hotukdeals.com/dea…839

NCIS & all that sort of stuff, didn’t realise it was available for 30 days …NCIS & all that sort of stuff, didn’t realise it was available for 30 days once it’s shown. We have a smart TV so can get now TV on that so just need a free-view box with a recording option for the FV channels. Just seen you can watch on 3 different devices for an extra 3 quid a month too which is even better, thanks so much for your help, going to go ahead & cancel VM tomorrow

If you can get NowTV app on your TV can you not get Freeview?

If you can you maybe be able to connect a portable Hard Drive/usb flash to record direct from telly

Your smart tv may be able to record freeview just by plugging in a USB storage device
Can someone tell me with Now TV is it all catch up or can you watch a programme on it that’s being shown the same time on sky
360finder08/01/2020 00:16

If you can get NowTV app on your TV can you not get Freeview?If you can … If you can get NowTV app on your TV can you not get Freeview?If you can you maybe be able to connect a portable Hard Drive/usb flash to record direct from telly

Oh god dunno, how do I find that out 🙈
rwf382008/01/2020 08:49

Can someone tell me with Now TV is it all catch up or can you watch a …Can someone tell me with Now TV is it all catch up or can you watch a programme on it that’s being shown the same time on sky

You can get a weeks free trial to have a look, I’m sure it’s on at the same time cos it’s the same channels on there.
jco8308/01/2020 00:24

Your smart tv may be able to record freeview just by plugging in a USB …Your smart tv may be able to record freeview just by plugging in a USB storage device

Thanks will have to find out how to do this

Almost all of the Now TV content is catch-up or box sets so no need to record. There are a few shows only on the live streams (no catch up) but everything really worth watching you just find and press play, no need to record or download.
rwf382008/01/2020 08:49

Can someone tell me with Now TV is it all catch up or can you watch a …Can someone tell me with Now TV is it all catch up or can you watch a programme on it that’s being shown the same time on sky

Both. There are live streams of the Sky channels and there is catch-up and box sets. A small number of shows are not available on the live stream due to rights issues but I think they resolved that years ago.
A few shows (like the Simpsons) aren't on catch up either.
claire751908/01/2020 09:23

Oh god dunno, how do I find that out 🙈

A quick Google of the TV model number should give you access to instructions. But if it can it's literally plug and play (long as the usb port gives enough power)

If it's just to live pause then A small usb flash is ideal.

If it's to record then as large a drive space as you can afford possibly with a separate power supply (plug, like a WD My book)
360finder08/01/2020 09:40

A quick Google of the TV model number should give you access to …A quick Google of the TV model number should give you access to instructions. But if it can it's literally plug and play (long as the usb port gives enough power)If it's just to live pause then A small usb flash is ideal. If it's to record then as large a drive space as you can afford possibly with a separate power supply (plug, like a WD My book)

Yes it’s got Free-View just to find out how to get it now
claire751908/01/2020 10:15

Yes it’s got Free-View just to find out how to get it now

Aaaah. No aerial?
claire751908/01/2020 10:37

No Does that mean I can’t get it?

You need some kind of signal to receive any kind of picture.

TV aerial - rooftop or internal for Freeview
Satellite dish - SkyTV or FreeSat
Cable - Virgin Media
Internet - Catch up TV + Subscription services.
jon81uk08/01/2020 09:33

Both. There are live streams of the Sky channels and there is catch-up and …Both. There are live streams of the Sky channels and there is catch-up and box sets. A small number of shows are not available on the live stream due to rights issues but I think they resolved that years ago.A few shows (like the Simpsons) aren't on catch up either.

Thanks for that so what’s the difference between staying with sky or going with now TV other then the price
rwf382008/01/2020 11:01

Thanks for that so what’s the difference between staying with sky or going …Thanks for that so what’s the difference between staying with sky or going with now TV other then the price

Now TV has fewer channels (it only has the main Sky channels plus a few others like Comedy Central) and is mainly based around catch-up and box sets.
Now TV as standard is only 720p, you need to pay extra for 1080 and not all devices support 1080. Whereas Sky offers up to 4K I think.

But for the price difference I really don't get why Sky is so expensive.
claire751908/01/2020 10:37

No Does that mean I can’t get it?

Correct. Perhaps via Virgin, free channels remain viewable without a subscription? (I don't know). A quick web search will tell.
Else, live tv is available on the BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub, not so sure about All4 and Demand5. And live tv is available for NowTV channels as someone has already said. You'll be able to find a list of those channels on the NowTV website. I know they have their main Sky channels; Sky One / Atlantic, I think they also have channels like Syfy and Fox amongst a few others. These NowTV channels stream live via the internet as do the BBC / ITV (and possibly channel 4 and 5) services. Whether it be via an app on your smart tv itself, or a smart box/stick connected to your tv.
360finder08/01/2020 10:39

You need some kind of signal to receive any kind of picture.TV aerial - …You need some kind of signal to receive any kind of picture.TV aerial - rooftop or internal for FreeviewSatellite dish - SkyTV or FreeSatCable - Virgin MediaInternet - Catch up TV + Subscription services.

In luck, managed to shift the tv unit with the massive tv on .. god I’m dead if he sees me doing this & there’s an aerial socket on the wall 🤞🏻
claire751908/01/2020 11:42

In luck, managed to shift the tv unit with the massive tv on .. god I’m d …In luck, managed to shift the tv unit with the massive tv on .. god I’m dead if he sees me doing this & there’s an aerial socket on the wall 🤞🏻

Great.

Now just need to make sure it works!
360finder08/01/2020 11:47

Great.Now just need to make sure it works!

Ok searched 4 times, only getting 29 programmes & 16 radio, nothing’s ever straight forward
claire751908/01/2020 11:53

Ok searched 4 times, only getting 29 programmes & 16 radio, nothing’s ever …Ok searched 4 times, only getting 29 programmes & 16 radio, nothing’s ever straight forward

But are you sitting thinking, damn missing that channel. Or do have everything you would watch but expected more?
360finder08/01/2020 11:58

But are you sitting thinking, damn missing that channel. Or do have … But are you sitting thinking, damn missing that channel. Or do have everything you would watch but expected more?

Yeah missing quite a few
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions