Now Tv only in black and white.... HELP!!

Found 12th Nov 2015
Can anyone please help? I bought a white now tv box and have tried to connect to my tv via the av cable. Everything works fine all except it only shows on the tv in black and white. I have tried it downstairs using hdmi and that works in colour. I want to use on a older tv.
Community Updates
AskNow TV
26 Comments
I have the same issue with an old CRT tv. The NowTV box works fine with the HDMI cable and AV cable on a flatscreen but not on the CRT. I think it is probably something to do with the CRT tv
One of two things. You've got it set to RGB scart and the scart socket you're using doesn't support it. Try swapping to the other scart socket. The other thing could be that the CRT doesn't support 60Hz (Pseudo PAL/Quasi-PAL)

Just looked at the box and it doesn't even have a scart socket. Looks like a composite video lead with L/R audio connectors Oldskool
Edited by: "kester76" 12th Nov 2015
Have you definitely got the yellow RCA connector plugged into the Video in socket on the TV ? Composite not Component video
kester76

Have you definitely got the yellow RCA connector plugged into the Video … Have you definitely got the yellow RCA connector plugged into the Video in socket on the TV ? Composite not Component video

I'm using the 3 colours on the side of my tv. The Red, Yellow and White. These are the same for the av cable i'm using to connect to the now tv box.
ultimateyou

I'm using the 3 colours on the side of my tv. The Red, Yellow and White. … I'm using the 3 colours on the side of my tv. The Red, Yellow and White. These are the same for the av cable i'm using to connect to the now tv box.

Can you read the model of the TV ? Should be on a label on the TV.
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/LqAAAOSw2XFUdU6R/s-l225.jpg
This is the cable that i am using
This is my tv (not my photo found on google)https://ssli.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY1WDEwMjQ=/z/7yYAAOSwT5tWK5KP/$_86.JPG
ultimateyou

This is the cable that i am using

Yeah I saw the cable for £5 on their website. Do you have the model of your TV. I can check online to see if there's a PAL/NTSC colour conversion button. It sounds like the Roku/Nowtv box is pushing out a colour signal the TV doesn't like.
ultimateyou

This is my tv (not my photo found on google)

I need the model code off it.
kester76

I need the model code off it.

btv183dvd/F
ultimateyou

btv183dvd/F

I can't find a manual for the unit but I found a webpage with it's specs. Looks like the unit supports both NTSC and PAL. Is there a button on either the remote control or the TV that's a PAL/NTSC switch ? It should automatically sense the signal but in your instance there could be a switch between the two colour formats.
The manuel says - Television
Picture Tube: 14" (34cm "V") measured diagonally 90 degree deflection.
Television system: UK 625 Lines 50 Fields, PAL I
Tuner: Electronic Tuner
Receiving Channels: UHF: 21 - 69
Arial Input: UHF 75 ohm unbalanced
Audio Output Power: 1.5W+1.5W (max.)
Speaker: (3.8 x 6.9 cm 8 ohm)x2
kester76

I can't find a manual for the unit but I found a webpage with it's specs. … I can't find a manual for the unit but I found a webpage with it's specs. Looks like the unit supports both NTSC and PAL. Is there a button on either the remote control or the TV that's a PAL/NTSC switch ? It should automatically sense the signal but in your instance there could be a switch between the two colour formats.

I can't see a button or switch on tv or remote.
ultimateyou

I can't see a button or switch on tv or remote.

Would it be under display?
ultimateyou

Would it be under display?

Could be. I would give it a go as it's designed to switch between the two colour formats.
kester76

Could be. I would give it a go as it's designed to switch between the two … Could be. I would give it a go as it's designed to switch between the two colour formats.

If display doesn't work, what else could switch?
Do you think if i connected the 3 colours to a scart would that work?
ultimateyou

Do you think if i connected the 3 colours to a scart would that work?

Possibly but it's also possible that the two lines are connected to the same video circuit.
I'm really not an expert on this, but doesn't the Now TV box output in the NTSC format? That means that older tellies that can't handle NTSC properly show a black and white picture. Seem to recall this from many moons ago when i had a VCR that played NTSC tapes but my TV wouldn't.
Is it possible that you've accidentally fallen down some kind of wormhole and travelled back in time?
dealpickle

I'm really not an expert on this, but doesn't the Now TV box output in … I'm really not an expert on this, but doesn't the Now TV box output in the NTSC format? That means that older tellies that can't handle NTSC properly show a black and white picture. Seem to recall this from many moons ago when i had a VCR that played NTSC tapes but my TV wouldn't.

It's an all in one combo so the video processing chip should support NTSC/PAL as both the built in VCR + DVD support it. It's probably not the smartest at selecting the correct video format from external composite video. The B&W picture is good so it's definitely the unit not processing the colour format.

Double checked with amazon etc and your right about the unit outputting in NTSC/60Hz which is strange as it's a PAL region. There must be a switch/button to select the correct video format on the TV.
Edited by: "kester76" 13th Nov 2015
Over The Knee

Is it possible that you've accidentally fallen down some kind of wormhole … Is it possible that you've accidentally fallen down some kind of wormhole and travelled back in time?

That was my first thought, but then it occurred to me that perhaps he only has a TV license for a B&W set...
miikeyblue

That was my first thought, but then it occurred to me that perhaps he … That was my first thought, but then it occurred to me that perhaps he only has a TV license for a B&W set...

Well apparently the OP had applied for a colour TV licence, but the carrier pigeon ate it...
miikeyblue

That was my first thought, but then it occurred to me that perhaps he … That was my first thought, but then it occurred to me that perhaps he only has a TV license for a B&W set...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z0coqO3-H9A/U5M-r59kBKI/AAAAAAAAC1s/jIZ6UfB2mbg/s1600/mini-tv-system-converter.jpg Would one of these work?
??
This worked, thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions