Now TV or Roku Streaming+?

Found 4th May
As a technophobe, and despite reading all the posts, I’m still struggling here. I’m getting rid of virgin media and am getting Vodafone broadband. Have 2 young kids so was going to get a Now TV streaming stick with the kids pass until I saw the streaming resolution. I’m also upgrading my tv but I don’t know what to yet. Question is, what size and spec of tv would benefit from a roku streaming+ stick rather than a Now TV stick, if that makes sense......or is that a question that’s too difficult to answer given all the differently specced TVs on the market?
Community Updates
6 Comments
What will you be streaming, and what resolution does that provider stream at? That's the first question you need to ask.
ibblackberry139 m ago

What will you be streaming, and what resolution does that provider stream …What will you be streaming, and what resolution does that provider stream at? That's the first question you need to ask.

Don’t really know - we just watch normal tv at the moment
Roku has all of the apps on it (such as Prime Video) but Now TV only has a selection of them. Now TV will be getting Netflix soon though.

Both sticks are made by Roku, but Now TV boxes are locked down to make you watch Now TV/catch up services.

Resolution on the Now TV stick is stuck in 720p - it will be updated to Full HD (1080p) in the future. However, the Roku Express already supports Full HD (Roku Streaming Stick+ supports 4K but is more expensive).

If you are buying a TV, look for a 1080p one at the least. Roku looks like the better buy at the moment
If you're getting really poor resolution when streaming (irrespective of what stick/box you're using), you might want to check your broadband speed ... especially if you might get more sticks/boxes and have programmes simultaneously streaming on different devices. There are still some poor buggers on really low Mbps.
if you are getting a new tv hold off on the stick as most now have built in smart apps and they are generally quicker and easier to use and in many cases the tv will upscale as well. I would also hold off on the vodafone broadband as long as you can after cancelling Virgin as they normally call you in a couple of days to offer better deals.
NowTV streams at 720p works out around 2.5Mbs at 720p HD, it will reduce in Quality if the Bandwidth drops rather than just cut out.

So as a rough guide 2.5Mbs per Box, call it 3Mbs to allow for Buffering so typically a Broadband providing 10Mbs should support 3 x NowTV Shows at the same time..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants