NowTV PS4 (Pro) Playback Problems

Found 11th JulEdited by:"Kidmonkey"
Hi,

I've looked online and it does look like I'm not alone in seeing problems but there is a sea of old news and fixes etc, which no longer seem accurate...

I've just signed up for a 14 day NowTv trial (movies) and the playback on my PS4 is terrible! It seems temperamental at best with a 50:50 chance of it opening and running smoothly but then when I do get to play something it plays for perhaps 3-5 mins before I experience lag and get those spinning balls on screen.

Anyone clued up enough to know of a fix/workaround for this?

For additional context, I don't have the same issue on my laptop - I have a different one, the picture quality is dire. My mobile is 'ok'. And my internet speeds are @ 52mb.

Help! Failing that, I'll just cancel, save £9.99 a month and stick to Netflix

Note: I never mentioned previously, but this is a PS4 Pro if it makes a difference?

Cheers folks
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Who is your broadband with? This might sound silly but have you tried connecting with a VPN or tried the same device at another house with a different ISP?
Run a speed test on your PS4 (Settings > Network > Test Internet Connection). It's often far slower on console.
Ours did this too, was like it for a couple of weeks. Seems to be working ok now, so not sure what was wrong.
I have the same BB speed as you and have no issues at all. I’m sure I read a while ago you should have a bit of memory free on your console. Maybe worth freeing a bit up if you haven’t got much spare.
Dannyrobbo3 h, 42 m ago

Who is your broadband with? This might sound silly but have you tried …Who is your broadband with? This might sound silly but have you tried connecting with a VPN or tried the same device at another house with a different ISP?

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. I am with BT Broadband, I haven't tried another VPN though no. Trying from another house is tricky right now as I'm off work with back problems and everyone I know is at work lol - plus I'd struggle to carry the console right now
jamie0152 h, 27 m ago

Run a speed test on your PS4 (Settings > Network > Test Internet …Run a speed test on your PS4 (Settings > Network > Test Internet Connection). It's often far slower on console.

50.3mb download and 6.5mb upload
niceroundpound1 h, 11 m ago

Ours did this too, was like it for a couple of weeks. Seems to be working …Ours did this too, was like it for a couple of weeks. Seems to be working ok now, so not sure what was wrong.

Oh... If it suddenly starts working then it gives me an excuse to keep checking lol not that I need one...
INDUSTRYHATER58 m ago

I have the same BB speed as you and have no issues at all. I’m sure I r …I have the same BB speed as you and have no issues at all. I’m sure I read a while ago you should have a bit of memory free on your console. Maybe worth freeing a bit up if you haven’t got much spare.

861.4Gb spare... Hopefully should be enough lol
Kidmonkey1 h, 32 m ago

861.4Gb spare... Hopefully should be enough lol

If you have any games suspended then try closing them before using now TV
INDUSTRYHATER17 m ago

If you have any games suspended then try closing them before using now TV

Hiya, nope. Nothing
Kidmonkey3 h, 8 m ago

I wasn’t talking in particular about speeds more that (they are not supposed to do it but still do) there could be some throttling going on. They all have their own competing services. Try a vpn on the laptop and see if your quality improves?
I get the same problems too. There seems to be a pretty fair split between Now TV not loading at all, films randomly buffering or playing absolutely fine. No problems with anything else on the PS4.
monkelus16 m ago

I get the same problems too. There seems to be a pretty fair split between …I get the same problems too. There seems to be a pretty fair split between Now TV not loading at all, films randomly buffering or playing absolutely fine. No problems with anything else on the PS4.

Who is your broadband with
Dannyrobbo20 m ago

Who is your broadband with

Ha! Sky, they’re doing to themselves
monkelus44 m ago

Ha! Sky, they’re doing to themselves

It can’t be that then, I’m with virgin media and there were some rumours they were throttling some services and with a VPN I know I didn’t suffer.

on PS4 try changing the DNS settings to Google’s at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Kidmonkey6 h, 16 m ago

Very odd, hope it sorts itself out!
jamie0151 h, 57 m ago

Very odd, hope it sorts itself out!

Just settling to watch England win, it can wait a few hours hehe
Dannyrobbo3 h, 13 m ago

try changing the DNS settings to Google’s at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Oh, didn't know you could do that on a PS4... Good idea in a couple of hours...
Kidmonkey1 m ago

Just settling to watch England win, it can wait a few hours hehe

So am I, amazing free kick!
Kidmonkey36 m ago

Oh, didn't know you could do that on a PS4... Good idea in a couple of …Oh, didn't know you could do that on a PS4... Good idea in a couple of hours...

You can, Cloudfare's is faster though. I use a SmartDNS to access Hulu on PS4.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants