Groups

NowTV setup/settings help required

I've been tasked to setup a NowTV box for family and I've never used one - help please
    They want to cast media from laptop and/or smartphone to NowTV box
    I've tried Playto app - already installed on NowTV and installed Windows version on Win10 PC but can't seem to find how to add external sources
    I've also added the device on Win 10 but when I select mp3 and cast - Win 10 cannot find any casting device
    They've also questioned sideloading Plex but I'm thinking they'd need to pay

Any advice would be appreciated

10 Comments

Plex is free, have a look at some guides for the correct colour of now TV box google.co.uk/sea…F-8

if it's YouTube media you can cast it to YouTube app on now TV box, otherwise no clue about that.

For casting I think that your laptop needs to be Miracast compatible or something like that. Googles Chromecast is the easiest solution for that.
    As for the Plex client (assuming you have a Plex server) -> lmgtfy.com/?q=…box

Original Poster

bryanhaines399

if it's YouTube media you can cast it to YouTube app on now TV box, … if it's YouTube media you can cast it to YouTube app on now TV box, otherwise no clue about that.

- it's external (downloaded music/videos etc)

but thanks for link re plex

philphil61

- it's external (downloaded music/videos etc)but thanks for link re plex

​yeah installing a Plex server is straightforward enough, there's probably enough info on the Plex website otherwise do a search and there will be plenty of YouTube guides.

bryanhaines399

​yeah installing a Plex server is straightforward enough, there's p … ​yeah installing a Plex server is straightforward enough, there's probably enough info on the Plex website otherwise do a search and there will be plenty of YouTube guides.

I am probably mis reading this, but is he looking to install a Plex "server" on the NowTV box? Not the client?

Enet

I am probably mis reading this, but is he looking to install a Plex … I am probably mis reading this, but is he looking to install a Plex "server" on the NowTV box? Not the client?

Yes, you're misreading it.

loads of places to find Plex instructions and it works really well for both movies and photos

Original Poster

bryanhaines399

Yes, you're misreading it.

But

Do I need plex server on the external device to allow plex on the NowTV box to access the media files?

I looked and used plex years ago for my DLink NAS but now use Kodi only because plex was a nightmare at the time

philphil61

ButDo I need plex server on the external device to allow plex on the … ButDo I need plex server on the external device to allow plex on the NowTV box to access the media files?I looked and used plex years ago for my DLink NAS but now use Kodi only because plex was a nightmare at the time

​yes, you need Plex server for the client to be able to connect to something. I have Plex server on my NAS and use plexbmc addon in kodi, it's the dog's.

philphil61

ButDo I need plex server on the external device to allow plex on the … ButDo I need plex server on the external device to allow plex on the NowTV box to access the media files?I looked and used plex years ago for my DLink NAS but now use Kodi only because plex was a nightmare at the time

Yes you can install Plex server on your PC. I have it on my laptop. Then I watch stuff from it on my other laptop, Roku box and Android phone.
    They difference with Kodi is that the Plex server does all the work for playing or transcoding the thing your are watching. So it needs to be half decent. Whereas with Kodi each device you use plays the media.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help please - pc issues57
      2. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed68
      3. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1419
      4. Import charges from USA11

See more discussions