Nursery fees and coronavirus

Posted 18th Mar
Do you have kids who attend nursery which is now closed due to Coronavirus, are you expected to continue to pay fees?
My sons been sent home as they claim he's got a temperature however I've monitored him at multiple points and not seeing any temperature and feel they trying to fob us parents off.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Time to examine those T&Cs on your contract.
Yes. Almost certainly you’ll have to pay.
Their T&C’s have been written to screw parents over
Yes I was hoping this would be considered an exception.

Their claim is he's unwell
My claim is hes not

They've taken one temperature reading this morning and sent him home.
I've taken 4 readings each hour at home all are have been under 37.3. I can only assume he was running around in nursery and was hot when they checked.

I’ve since been informed the nursery is still open, if he been around these people for last couple of days surely they should be isolating everyone.
Edited by: "samosa" 18th Mar
As others have said, check your T&Cs. I would imagine though it won't be too much longer and there will be a closure across the country so the situation for you might well change.
They are businesses with salaries to pay and will lose money (and probably staff) when they are forced to shut, surely it is only fair that you pay for your child's place?

I am in the same boat but with a child minder, if they are forced to close, I will continue to pay as she has other staff to pay and might not get money from insurance companies as this is an 'act of God' and not in anyone's control.
Jason18/03/2020 14:17

As others have said, check your T&Cs. I would imagine though it won't be …As others have said, check your T&Cs. I would imagine though it won't be too much longer and there will be a closure across the country so the situation for you might well change.

I found the clause but i guess it would be moot.

The clause is we have to pay for absence due to illness however I feel I've been advised not to bring in rather than me keeping him away.

Hoping it is as you described and closures are announced soon.
Edited by: "samosa" 18th Mar
I've now pulled mine out of nursery as can't wait on the government to make a decision but there's expected to be an announcement this afternoon to follow both Scotland and Wales in closing all schools from Friday. I'll worry about fees later as my girl's health comes before anything else.
samosa18/03/2020 13:46

Yes I was hoping this would be considered an exception.Their claim is he's …Yes I was hoping this would be considered an exception.Their claim is he's unwellMy claim is hes notThey've taken one temperature reading this morning and sent him home.I've taken 4 readings each hour at home all are have been under 37.3. I can only assume he was running around in nursery and was hot when they checked.I’ve since been informed the nursery is still open, if he been around these people for last couple of days surely they should be isolating everyone.

Hope this help about 37.5 versus 37.3 , bit of a borderline, within error of thermometer and how you measure

calpol.co.uk/exp…mal
This won’t matter, as no doubt by the time I hit send the closures would have been announced I expect.

The cut off is 37.9 and above, a nursery should not be sending children home due to COVID-19 for anything lower than that.

We’ve had a lot of messages from our nursery, and they were pretty blunt that regardless of the reasons, we have to pay the monthly fee, open or not.
On the plus side, we’d already given notice on them so not bothered.
Thanks everyone.

Received an email to say they are closing following Bojo's announcement.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants