Nvidia RTX 3080 and 3070 Graphics Card Leaks / Rumours & Thoughts

EDITOR 7
Posted 21st Jan
I guess it was inevitable... Nvidia have sprung a "leak" yet again. (Someone call a plumber)

We probably all expected to see the new GPUs from Nvidia being announced this year. It's been a little while since the original RTX line-up started shipping, back in September 2018 to be specific.

More recently we saw the 'Super' variations hit the market, which for many seemed to make the cards that sat above them make even less sense.

The original RTX line-up reportedly didn't sell quite as well as expected, especially given all the hype surrounding the release. In all fairness we've seen graphics card prices going up and up in price over the years, but the premium prices on the RTX GPUs really annoyed gamers.

I personally waited for the pricing on the 20xx cards before making a decision. In the end the price of the latest models made no sense to me, so I opted for a 1080Ti. I suppose some of the R&D costs for RTX was bound to be passed to the customer anyway, which considering the lack launch titles again... kind of annoyed people.

"It just works" Eventually.

Leaks for the RTX 3080 / RTX 3070 - These are said to be 7nm products
The specs of each are rumoured to be as follows:

GA103 - RTX 3080:
  • 20GB GDDR6
  • 320-bit memory interface
  • 60 SMs
  • 3480 stream processors

GA104 - RTX 3070
  • 8/16GB GDDR6
  • 256-bit memory interface
  • 48 SMs
  • 3072 stream processors

Info Source - Tweaktown

Current product range with the leaked info added - Thanks @Gormond
3392451.jpg
It's nice to see those numbers, especially if they are correct. But specs mean very little without a price point. If Nvidia release these at crazy high prices, we'll just have a repeat of the previous launch.

Currently it's anyone's guess at what will happen. How much will the 20xx drop by? Will they discontinue the non-super models first and then drop the prices a little on those? Or will they come in at much higher prices than we expect, disgruntling a lot of people?

I suppose there is a reason or two to stay hopeful that the new cards don't enter the market at silly prices.

The mining hype has died down a fair bit - Something that drove prices up on the 10 series GPUs. Getting hold of a GTX 1080 / 1080ti at a good price was much harder than it needed to be. Again, annoying gamers that just wanted to smash out the FPS at the best settings possible. This may have played a part in the high price that the RTX cards came in at as well.

First Gen Tech is usually more expensive - As I mentioned above part the R&D costs probably got passed on to the consumer anyway (pretty standard with a lot of tech, to be honest) It's been a while now, so we'd hope at this point we'll see fair pricing across the board. We have no reason to outright say "The new cards will be cheaper" as Nvidia pricing has only headed one way so far, and it's not down for new releases.

What if you want RTX but are finding the Nvidia prices are too high?
Well... AMD have played catch-up for years on both the CPU and GPU front, finally breaking the trend a few years ago when the Ryzen CPUs were launched. They've been incredibly well received so far, for all the right reasons. So well done to them! We're due to see new Zen 3 CPUs hit the market later this year as well (Exciting!)

On the GPU front we're now seeing announcements for new AMD Graphics cards including mentions of real-time ray tracing, which is no surprise, when we've seen that next gen consoles are getting support for the feature.

My opinion?
I can't see AMD beating Nvidia on graphics performance, but they usually counter this with great value / bang for buck options. Keep an eye out for more on those, they should be interesting!

We don't know enough right now, but a leak always seems to happen. They should really get those pipes fixed

Your Opinion?
Any thoughts on how this will go?
Did mining affect your hunt / decision when buying your GPU?

Current Prices / Deals

Nvidia Graphics Card Deals

AMD Radeon Graphics Card Deals

AMD Ryzen CPUs / Builds / Laptops
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

7 Comments
AMD guy here would never buy into green team. AMD offer value and performance I have a 5700XT and will be keeping it for a few years
20gb Vram DDR6
geebeegooner21/01/2020 12:03

20gb Vram DDR6

Yeah, crazy! I do think that is going to apply to the Quadro cards though. If that was on a 3080, it would be insane
Compared to current range:

39727078-dJjwP.jpg
Gormond21/01/2020 12:21

Compared to current range:[Image]

Ah, was just looking for something that was nice and simple to read for comparison - Will add in
Thank you!
Ken21/01/2020 12:38

Ah, was just looking for something that was nice and simple to read for …Ah, was just looking for something that was nice and simple to read for comparison - Will add inThank you!

NP, I will be curious how the 3080 compares to the 2080 Ti - It's difficult to tell without knowing the GPU clock speed.

It does seem that the increase in SM cores isn't great considering the jump to 7nm, this suggests they have focused on more RT cores or a smaller die.
Edited by: "Gormond" 21st Jan
Gormond21/01/2020 12:44

NP, I will be curious how the 3080 compares to the 2080 Ti - It's …NP, I will be curious how the 3080 compares to the 2080 Ti - It's difficult to tell without knowing the GPU clock speed.It does seem that the increase in SM cores isn't great considering the jump to 7nm, this suggests they have focused on more RT cores or a smaller die.

Speculation is that they're going to ramp up the clock speed (lots of whispers of "50% performance boost at 50% power consumption").

Given how NVidia have been price gouging for a while due to lack of competition from AMD at the top end, I'm not 100% convinced they'd do a smaller chip and lower the price. Maybe they'll decide to put more pressure on AMD and release the 3070 for < £325
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants