NVidia Shield TV new stock coming in 16 Jan

9 replies
Found 5th Jan
Been after one for a while, and google suggested they weren't bringing any out for at next the next 9 months. Ebay was stupid prices.

But just noticed new ones are due on 16th Jan. £189 for the 16GB, and £279 for the 500GB.

Available to pre-order from NVidia directly, or Ebuyer, Amazon, Currys and Scan.

And these all include the Remote Control, which they didn't last time.

HTH

1. Misc
  2. NVIDIA
  3. TV
9 Comments

Genuinely not trolling here but what's new and exciting with this? Android games on a TV are surely not as good as PS4 or XBOX for the same price. 4K streaming from YouTube, Amazon, Netflix etc is built into my £399 TV. I'm confused as to why these are selling like hot cakes - someone explain!

Original Poster

misterleoni

Genuinely not trolling here but what's new and exciting with this? … Genuinely not trolling here but what's new and exciting with this? Android games on a TV are surely not as good as PS4 or XBOX for the same price. 4K streaming from YouTube, Amazon, Netflix etc is built into my £399 TV. I'm confused as to why these are selling like hot cakes - someone explain!

Best Android Box out there for Kodi streaming.
You can't buy a 16GB box and just add your own Hard Drive as there's not a connector for them on the 16GB model, but you can add up to a 128GB SD Card
Edited by: "Waterboy8535" 5th Jan

misterleoni

Genuinely not trolling here but what's new and exciting with this? … Genuinely not trolling here but what's new and exciting with this? Android games on a TV are surely not as good as PS4 or XBOX for the same price. 4K streaming from YouTube, Amazon, Netflix etc is built into my £399 TV. I'm confused as to why these are selling like hot cakes - someone explain!

Four main reasons.
1. Emulation.
2. Kodi and or Plex
3. If you have an Nvidia GPU on your PC you can stream games to your TV through the box.
4. Cloud PC gaming.

I got the original one of these back in the Summer of 2015 (Imported from Amazon USA as I wasn't sure if they were going to be launched here) and I can quite honestly say that it is the best thing I bought for my living room telly. I should point out that I do not have a smart TV and much of the functionality of the Shield TV is now in many smart TVs (especially Sony TVs which run the same Andoid TV operating system) so this box is first and formost a great way to make an old dumb TV a smart TV.

In addition to all the standard smart TV apps (Including Plex and Kodi), the thing which sets this thing apart is the power behind it and the versatility. One really nice feature is that if you have a GeForce powered PC, you can stream games from your PC in another room to the TV and this even works for multiplayer games as you can connect an Xbox 360 wireless dongle and use wireless Xbox 360 pads with it.

It's also very, very good at emulation. You can run anything from NES & Spectrum to Dreamcast & Gamecube via emulation on this box. Seriously impressive stuff made possible by the X1 processor.

It will also run its own Android games natively as well, and is quite capable however Nvidia have been pushing a lot of technically impressive games for the platform but don't expect Xbox One or PS4 quality games. Games like Jackbox Party Pack were made for this device as they're such fun for parties (though are not platform exclusive).

Nvidia see this box as the king of streamers. Not just for video content but for games too so while it doesn't directly compete with the current generation of consoles, it does serve as a nice way of getting games on to the TV. I'd certainly recommend it if the gaming PC in the house isn't located near the TV and you want to play games on the bigger screen. You can also use the GeForce Now platform if you don't have a powerful gaming PC which allows you to stream games from the internet at a rather remarkable 60fps in 1080p with little to no noticable input lag (which is important for games such as Street Fighter 4).

Ultimately, this replaces the need for smart TV features, Steam Link, Amazon Fire and countless other devices such as old consoles. It's just a really neat box of tricks which does a heck of a lot of stuff in one and Nvidia are looking to improve it all the time with 4K HDR now in the new model (and soon the old model) and other stuff like Android Assistant which will allow it work to like an Amazon Echo or Google Home.

Edited by: "Wootz" 5th Jan

Waterboy8535

You can't buy a 16GB box and just add your own Hard Drive as there's not … You can't buy a 16GB box and just add your own Hard Drive as there's not a connector for them on the 16GB model

You can, you can either connect a USB hard drive or map drives from the network to access natively from the Shield

Original Poster

Wootz

You can, you can either connect a USB hard drive or map drives from the … You can, you can either connect a USB hard drive or map drives from the network to access natively from the Shield

I thought my comment would be easily recognised that I meant you can't fit a Hard Drive INSIDE the box as there's no connector to put it in (Such as people do with PS4's etc). Obviously I wasn't clear enough

dozstanford

Four main reasons.1. Emulation.2. Kodi and or Plex3. If you have an … Four main reasons.1. Emulation.2. Kodi and or Plex3. If you have an Nvidia GPU on your PC you can stream games to your TV through the box.4. Cloud PC gaming.

Point 3 especially! If you have a capable PC the facility to stream games on your TV utilising this horsepower is a real plus. Running games maxed out on your TV with a very high FPS looks mind blowing. Worth every penny!

Original Poster

Leonintelex

Point 3 especially! If you have a capable PC the facility to stream … Point 3 especially! If you have a capable PC the facility to stream games on your TV utilising this horsepower is a real plus. Running games maxed out on your TV with a very high FPS looks mind blowing. Worth every penny!

​And indeed I have a GTX1070 all ready and waiting, although slightly overkill for World of Tanks

Had one for a year. Just replaced it with a 4k fire tv box. Best thing I did.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Kids cut and glue books22
    2. Help: NowTV Movie pass822
    3. Flowers for anniversary33
    4. Printer help please.68

See more discussions