NVMe upgrade options

Posted 26th Dec 2019
Hi all,

I've just upgraded to a asus prime h310m-r r2.0 and an i3 9100f, I hadn't realised that NVMe offered such a major upgrade, so didn't think about it when I bought the board.

The board manual states that the m2 can do PCIe at x 2, so I take it that any NVMe device I use will be restricted?

Is there anything else I can do for top speed NVMe? I would consider a pcie adapter, but aren't they also pcie 2.0 if plugged I to this board?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

K.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Yeah no point paying a premium for NVME for that. Just get something like a TCSunbow X3 2.5" SATA SSD. Also NVME doesn't offer a "major upgrade", it's unnoticeable in actual real life usage
Edited by: "Shrekt" 26th Dec 2019
Shrekt26/12/2019 15:42

Yeah no point paying a premium for NVME for that. Just get something like …Yeah no point paying a premium for NVME for that. Just get something like a TCSunbow X3 2.5" SATA SSD. Also NVME doesn't offer a "major upgrade", it's unnoticeable in actual real life usage

Thanks, feel daft not looking into it before I bought the board, it's my first upgrade since Core2Quad.
Nvme is one of my emails instead of envy me and d.w I don't apply for jobs with that.
As Shrekt implies most day to day stuff isn't limited by disk performance once you get down to SSD access times, so the difference between models and interfaces is unnoticeable.

If you are running something that is disk bound then whether a 500MB/s interface will restrict your speeds depends on the exact workload. Many SSDs will run at a few hundred megabytes a second in many workloads due to drive limitations, even when they're capable of much faster transfers for simple jobs like sequential file reads.
EndlessWaves26/12/2019 17:57

As Shrekt implies most day to day stuff isn't limited by disk performance …As Shrekt implies most day to day stuff isn't limited by disk performance once you get down to SSD access times, so the difference between models and interfaces is unnoticeable.If you are running something that is disk bound then whether a 500MB/s interface will restrict your speeds depends on the exact workload. Many SSDs will run at a few hundred megabytes a second in many workloads due to drive limitations, even when they're capable of much faster transfers for simple jobs like sequential file reads.

Was thinking of improved boot time and faster game loading.
SATA 3, 6Gb/s
PCI-E 2.0 x2, 10Gb/s - a bit faster, but not even double

And for example, a sabrent 512GB NVME is £59.99 Amazon offer amazon.co.uk/Sab…KD/ - I think the x4 drives can operate in x2 mode
Hmm, WD BLUE even cheaper.

The price premium for NVME drives has dropped with them becoming mainstream, and there is a bit more performance to be had, maybe a little more than the basic figures due to maybe lower overheads
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions