Expired

O2 has denied my iphone 5's warranty!

Found 26th Mar 2014
Hi,
I purchased an iPhone 5 64gb from o2 refresh with the upgrade from this deal : hotukdeals.com/dea…099

Like most people, I cancelled the airtime and paid off the phone plan so my contract has ended. On the first week of receiving the phone, I checked the warranty and it said that I had warranty till January 2015 but last week it changed to being expired like it did for most people.

So I contacted o2 who at first told me to contact Apple as the warranty is held with them and so I did and Apple denied it saying the original purchase date was 2012. I spoke to o2 about it and they said the same thing again stating my contract with them has been terminated and I should speak to apple!

My problem is that I have a phone which has no warranty and I don't like it even though the phone is fully functional and I feel that o2 are scamming me in a way! Is there something that I can do?

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks
Community Updates
AskiPhoneO2
10 Comments
Apple's warranty is one year. They're nothing to do with the 3 year offer with O2. As you've left O2, they've voided your extended cover. Sounds a little unfair, especially as they harp on about refresh but don't highlight these issues. I can understand O2 not continuing warranty cover but they should've been very upfront about this. Unfortunately you're left without cover - just lucky that your phone isn't actually in need of a service you were relying on.
Original Poster
Yeah, I'd figured as much! well, I have sold the phone and if the buyer is happy with it then it's all good. If he returns then I'll take it to the apple store and as a last resort I'm thinking of contacting my bank to open a case to get my money back unless they give me warranty!
Edited by: "alifff" 26th Mar 2014
Well the only choice u got now is fighting over the European law. As far as I can remember it's called some goods act...if the gods go faulty within 5 years they have to repair or replace it. But it have to be a manufacture hardware fault. I got a wifi issue on my iphone for nearly a year and they refused to repair it...I'm planning to read more over it...
valid insurance should cover a repair or replacement so if you have this wouldn't be overly concerned.
Apple alter the warranty on these. I bought my 5 on Refresh and the warranty changed from the initial quoted figure on the Apple Service page to a much shorter one a few months down the line. I assume it's some liaison between Apple and O2 to allow them to sell them cheaply. There's not much you can do legally as O2 are the merchant and they state in their terms that there's only a 3 month warranty with refurbished iPhones.
S0ldi3r

Well the only choice u got now is fighting over the European law. As far … Well the only choice u got now is fighting over the European law. As far as I can remember it's called some goods act...if the gods go faulty within 5 years they have to repair or replace it. But it have to be a manufacture hardware fault. I got a wifi issue on my iphone for nearly a year and they refused to repair it...I'm planning to read more over it...

Gods don't go faulty apparently :-@

Sale of goods act?
you need to chase 02 , nothing to do with apple , i wouldn't worry about it until it goes faulty
Your warrenty is with o2 not apple Which you terminated when you cancelled your contract. It doesn't matter what the apple website said in regards to your warrenty because the warrenty is provided by o2. If anyone had warrenty left on apple website then they are lucky being a refurbished phone and all.
Edited by: "MR1123" 26th Mar 2014
refurb handsets are party to different terms as well.
I don't get where the issue is here. The phone isn't brand new, as such the warranty was used originally by the first person that owned the product.

You therefore cannot expect apple to cover it and apple quite rightly shouldn't cover it. The only people you should expect a slight warranty from are o2 and as you left the contract they stopped supporting the subsidised official cover with apple. But you should still get a very basic warranty from o2, usually six months?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants