Groups

O2 Mid-Contract Price increases (And others)

Editor
    As you may have heard O2 (and others) are upping their contract prices, including Mid-contract prices (Which is outlined in their T&Cs) Just got this message confirming just that. So as this suggests, if you're not happy with the changes and are in a contract already, you have little choice but to stick with it.

It's not a gargantuan increase, but it is still pretty annoying when it happens. If you're on an o2 £35pm contract you'll find yourself around £10.92 worse off over the course of 12 months - Changes to take place from April

http://i.imgur.com/Hgi1Kf0.png

Source

22 Comments

all mobile company's now write it into the terms so your suckered from day one .

loophole needs closing

Is it different from the broadband contracts where if your not happy you can walk away after being sent the letter ?

It's all carriers, prices (on o2's part it is just the airtime if you're on the Refresh) are affected in line with the Retail Price Index. It happens every year, it is a measure of inflation. It is in the t's&c's and stated before you sign your contract, it's not illegal and you can't leave because of it. It's a matter of pence, suck it up people.

Yes they are all doing it. Got EE email last week. Will increase end of March.

Original Poster Editor

shabbird

Yes they are all doing it. Got EE email last week. Will increase end of … Yes they are all doing it. Got EE email last week. Will increase end of March.

Yeah, just pointing out where people stand with it really. Usually people would like to know if they can leave due to price increases. Obviously not with these though. Hate a price increase! Booooooooo

Buying from 3 direct and you avoid this increase, its one of their selling points. Normally this increase comes from 3rd party sellers like affordable mobiles etc etc.

If mine increases as well, does it mean I can cancel without penalty?

Original Poster Editor

Eden0032

If mine increases as well, does it mean I can cancel without penalty?

Depends who you're with, but with most it is indeed worked into the contract terms, so you agreed to any increases of this type when signing up for the deal. Which of course means you can't
    Edited by: "NeoTrix" 22nd Feb

Just don't sign up to a longer than 30 day contract, and I know I am going to sound my age but do we really need a new phone every year or two

ashmac

all mobile company's now write it into the terms so your suckered from … all mobile company's now write it into the terms so your suckered from day one .loophole needs closing

It's amazing that they can all get away with it so easily. If I wrote to then and said that I have reviewed the terms of the contract and will now be paying 5% per month what sort of response would I get from them?

g8spur

It's amazing that they can all get away with it so easily. If I wrote to … It's amazing that they can all get away with it so easily. If I wrote to then and said that I have reviewed the terms of the contract and will now be paying 5% per month what sort of response would I get from them?

Well they'd had to pay it if you'd got them to sign a contract that stipulated they had to...

Annoying as it is, the terms are clearly written next to where you put your signature when you take out the contract. It's not really a loophole, just part of terms and conditions that they're legally allowed to present at the point of purchase. If you don't like it then I guess you just have to look elsewhere, but they all seem to do it now anyway.

Edited by: "misterleoni" 22nd Feb

Banned

My partner got the email yesterday & I have discovered there is nowt you can do about it.

I see a change of legislation coming. ...

I've had my mobile number for 20 years, any way of migrating and keeping my number? I hate when people change their number, mucks up everything when you are in business.

airfix

I've had my mobile number for 20 years, any way of migrating and keeping … I've had my mobile number for 20 years, any way of migrating and keeping my number? I hate when people change their number, mucks up everything when you are in business.

Just request a PAC number and give it to your new company, takes a day or so to switch over sometimes there are issues other times it's done without you even realising.

g8spur

It's amazing that they can all get away with it so easily. If I wrote to … It's amazing that they can all get away with it so easily. If I wrote to then and said that I have reviewed the terms of the contract and will now be paying 5% per month what sort of response would I get from them?

Don't worry about it, there will be a ruling in a couple of years time and anyone who didn't read the terms fully and understand them will get their money back oh wait that's what happened with ppi no one bothered to understand what they were signing up to these terms are actually quite clearly called out now, no real way of not seeing them and been that way since the regulator changed the rules that meant you could leave if you had a price increase you weren't warned about. Problem is though no one really looks at what they are signing

Not all do this I'm sure Tesco Mobile don't and I think Vodafone don't

It would be nice if they could just factor in potential price increases at the point of purchase. I understand that inflation makes costs go up, but why not factor that into the contract cost at the point of sale? Used to be that you could take out a credit agreement and budget for it over the length of the contract. Yes, it's less than £1 a month in most cases but it's still a bit of a shambles.

About time this practice got stopped.
    A contract is a contract. It should be fixed price for the 2 years - else if the company does put up the price then the customer should have the option to leave.
    OFCOM are too soft on the big 4 companies.

I have an O2 contract for around a month and still had a letter saying price is going up, surely something wrong there. Should only go up after a year

Cozworth806

I have an O2 contract for around a month and still had a letter saying … I have an O2 contract for around a month and still had a letter saying price is going up, surely something wrong there. Should only go up after a year

have a check of your paper work, depending how you sign up it will show you there.

online it shows today the below, when you click into the contract details, it shows it there, but it also shows the below at the side of the basket page, then again the below on the checkout page and also in the contract page. Do you think they need to tell you again

Each year O2 Refresh Airtime Plans will be adjusted on your April bill by the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation* announced in the preceding February. This years rate is 2.6%. Find out more.

morphy69

Buying from 3 direct and you avoid this increase, its one of their … Buying from 3 direct and you avoid this increase, its one of their selling points. Normally this increase comes from 3rd party sellers like affordable mobiles etc etc.

Wrong and wrong. If you've bought a contract since 28th May 2015 you will get hit by RPI increases with Three.

support.three.co.uk/SRV…770,Case=obj(15395)

Also the increase isn't because of third party sellers (who save customers £5-10 a month average anyway)

Dont get suckered into 2 year contracts, waste of time and effort, I buy for example S7 Edge from Samsung, pay up front and keep my £15pm Three AllYouCanEatData plan Im not stuck in a 2 year contract and I can just upgrade whenever I want.

My way if I keep my phone and contract 2 year - I pay £910

Compared to what Three wanted £70pm + £99 = £1,779

No Thanks. My advise save your money if your looking at a new phone possibly a pre order like Note 8 save up people.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423214455
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767158
      3. word association Game73844447
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!543740

See more discussions