Oak flooring - oil or varnish?

Posted 2nd Mar
Wondering what finish to use on the floor. I want something resilient, waterproof with a shine but not too glossy. I don’t want a tint as I like the natural colour.

I used timberex oil previously but it’s such hard work as you are not supposed to let dry between coats. Also the floor is looking dirty in places apparently no one else can see it . The wood is being stripped back and I’m starting again.

What did you use and why. Thx
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Osmo PolyX Oil or Fiddes hard wax oil are both excellent products.

I've just done a pine floor and oak veneer doors in the Osmo PolyX raw and really pleased with the results.
Also recommend Osmo PolyX Oil - We have just used this for tailor made oak veneer cupboards. Excellent finishing! (Chose a walnut colour)
Thank you both. Is it waterproof. The oil I used said waterproof but it really wasn’t.
Yes it is, Was one of the reasons we chose it the our daughters toy/play room

For the: Osmo Polyx Oil Tints
  • Protects and colours with wood grain visible
  • Harmonious appearance
  • Resistant to common liquid spillages such as water, juice, tea, cola and wine
  • Saliva-resistant and sweatproof, suitable for children's toys
  • Microporous, breathable finish which does not crack, peel or flake
  • No sanding necessary for spot repairs or future applications
Thanks so much, that last point of no sanding is really helpful too. Appreciate your comments.
No worries! Just a few photos of what it looked like. Thats just one coat. I know you said you didn't want a tint as you liked the original colour.40032428-90FFZ.jpg40032428-dilbW.jpg40032428-br95y.jpg
Monaco.Blue03/03/2020 10:27

Thank you both. Is it waterproof. The oil I used said waterproof but it …Thank you both. Is it waterproof. The oil I used said waterproof but it really wasn’t.

Oils aren't totally waterproof, you still need to wipe up any liquids if it's spilt. In reality I've found wine spilt from the night before and they've wiped away fine. The best thing about them is it's so easy to repair.
40034101-CrpAZ.jpg40034101-i1Gzl.jpg
Osmo oil is the one on the right. (The middle bars look fine in natural light, they've just come out looking odd in the photo).

All looks amazing. I love real wood.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants