OAP Car recommendation

Posted 1st Nov
Hi

i need to buy a car for my OAP father. His driving has started to become slightly erratic which worries me but he insists that he needs to continue to drive. I’m looking to buy something small/medium sized in the hope that he finds it easier to handle. Something with good all round visibility and low maintenance/running costs. He currently drives a C class saloon which doesn’t have the best visibility and is very expensive to run.

it will need to be an automatic and something reliable and less prone to mechanical issues. Not got a very big budget preferably sub £4k

any suggestions appreciated

thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
If his driving is becoming erratic and is not up to standard he needs to give it up.

I speak from experience as I`ve gone through the same with my father.

PM if you want to chat in depth.
Good luck.
By the sound of it a bumper car might be appropriate, future proof too being electric
42 Comments
If his driving is becoming erratic and is not up to standard he needs to give it up.

I speak from experience as I`ve gone through the same with my father.

PM if you want to chat in depth.
Good luck.
By the sound of it a bumper car might be appropriate, future proof too being electric
Honda jazz
Treboeth01/11/2019 20:57

If his driving is becoming erratic and is not up to standard he needs to …If his driving is becoming erratic and is not up to standard he needs to give it up.I speak from experience as I`ve gone through the same with my father.PM if you want to chat in depth.Good luck.

Looking to ease him out of it. Don’t think he’s dangerous if he was I’d tell him to stopjust needs monitoring. Also restricted him to local trips in areas he’s familiar with and no driving at night.
Erratic may be tolerable but alternate scenario of being self-unaware of being unsafe is not. You would probably want to distance yourself from the latter, or take active steps to assist preventing the scenario.
4Real201601/11/2019 21:02

By the sound of it a bumper car might be appropriate, future proof too …By the sound of it a bumper car might be appropriate, future proof too being electric

Cheers for that very witty and helpful
Maybe a small higher up vehicle (small SUV like a ford eco sport) which will enable him to see properly.

Male sure he goes and gets his eyes tested regularly (at least every year) as this is a common cause of erratic driving, my grandad had the same, then he had surgery which removed the cataracts he didn’t know he had and then he was fine again once he got new glasses. Get the anti glare put on glasses too as this will help massively in bright sunlight and low light/evening/night driving.

If he’s ready to give up driving then you could always get one of these rover.ebay.com/rov…870

You’ll probably struggle with a 4K budget for a reliable and automatic car.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 1st Nov
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 21:21

Maybe a small higher up vehicle (small SUV like a ford eco sport) which …Maybe a small higher up vehicle (small SUV like a ford eco sport) which will enable him to see properly.Male sure he goes and gets his eyes tested regularly (at least every year) as this is a common cause of erratic driving, my grandad had the same, then he had surgery which removed the cataracts he didn’t know he had and then he was fine again once he got new glasses. Get the anti glare put on glasses too as this will help massively in bright sunlight and low light/evening/night driving.If he’s ready to give up driving then you could always get one of these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173874016870

Cheers already onto that as I think that’s the problem got him booked in for Monday. He’s only 70 so didn’t think it would be an issue at such an age.
Stevelow_21201/11/2019 21:25

Cheers already onto that as I think that’s the problem got him booked in f …Cheers already onto that as I think that’s the problem got him booked in for Monday. He’s only 70 so didn’t think it would be an issue at such an age.

Maybe a small higher up vehicle (small SUV like a ford eco sport) which …Maybe a small higher up vehicle (small SUV like a ford eco sport) which will enable him to see properly.Male sure he goes and gets his eyes tested regularly (at least every year) as this is a common cause of erratic driving, my grandad had the same, then he had surgery which removed the cataracts he didn’t know he had and then he was fine again once he got new glasses. Get the anti glare put on glasses too as this will help massively in bright sunlight and low light/evening/night driving.If he’s ready to give up driving then you could always get one of these rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173874016870You’ll probably struggle with a 4K budget for a reliable and automatic car.

Think he would rather walk than be seen in one of those. I know I would

Maybe a small higher up vehicle (small SUV like a ford eco sport) which …Maybe a small higher up vehicle (small SUV like a ford eco sport) which will enable him to see properly.Male sure he goes and gets his eyes tested regularly (at least every year) as this is a common cause of erratic driving, my grandad had the same, then he had surgery which removed the cataracts he didn’t know he had and then he was fine again once he got new glasses. Get the anti glare put on glasses too as this will help massively in bright sunlight and low light/evening/night driving.If he’s ready to give up driving then you could always get one of these rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173874016870You’ll probably struggle with a 4K budget for a reliable and automatic car.

£7k. They are having a laugh
deeky01/11/2019 21:30

£7k. They are having a laugh

You can get them second hand for £2-3k (mobility scooter), they look like a car though!

Not the most practical I agree.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 1st Nov
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 21:31

You can get them second hand for £2-3k

And? You think I'm after one?

deeky01/11/2019 21:32

And? You think I'm after one?

Are you.....? You only questioned the price.....🤪🤪🤪
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 21:33

Are you.....? You only questioned the price.....🤪🤪🤪

Not just yet, won't be long though. I'm already buying Skodas
deeky01/11/2019 21:36

Not just yet, won't be long though. I'm already buying Skodas

Oh know! I’m sticking with ford till I die. Always loved Ford’s, can afford an Audi/BMW/Jag but love my ford. May treat myself to a mustang one day!
Stevelow_21201/11/2019 21:12

Cheers for that very witty and helpful

Yeah, not helpful, I'll hold my hands up to that one.

Stevelow_21201/11/2019 21:25

Cheers already onto that as I think that’s the problem got him booked in f …Cheers already onto that as I think that’s the problem got him booked in for Monday. He’s only 70 so didn’t think it would be an issue at such an age.

Are you sure nothing else is going on? my dad still drives at 82, and he's still a good driver.
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 21:38

Oh know! I’m sticking with ford till I die. Always loved Ford’s, can aff …Oh know! I’m sticking with ford till I die. Always loved Ford’s, can afford an Audi/BMW/Jag but love my ford. May treat myself to a mustang one day!

A bloke at work has the 5.0 Mustang. My legs go to jelly when I hear it
Think it’s the eyes could be cataracts will get him tested. I probably need to spend more time in the passenger seat with him. Only noticed the issue about a week ago
deeky01/11/2019 21:42

A bloke at work has the 5.0 Mustang. My legs go to jelly when I hear it

Go to Jelly

or get covered in jelly
deeky01/11/2019 21:48

You disgust me

I`ll just add you to the list of people I disgust(is that you dad?)
If you want reliable then look at getting a Honda, they go forever, ask any mechanic
Honda Jazz then add a bump stop under the accelerator to limit the amount of revs you can apply. Seen that a couple of times on cars for older/disabled drivers
It would be worth looking at something with a decent form of autonomous emergency braking that includes pedestrians. While they are not fool proof they may avoid something worse in the future. At least some of the SEAT Arona’s have it and they are higher up with good visibility.
Edited by: "slippers1977" 1st Nov
slippers197701/11/2019 22:21

It would be worth looking at something with a decent form of autonomous …It would be worth looking at something with a decent form of autonomous emergency braking that includes pedestrians. While they are not fool proof they may avoid something worse in the future. At least some of the SEAT Arona’s have it and they are higher up with good visibility.

Thanks something like this would be ideal but out of budget.
Thanks for the advice all. Think I need to consider how I tell my father that he needs to stop driving.
Maybe a Mercedes b class or a small Kia or Nissan or Toyota
Stevelow_21201/11/2019 22:33

Thanks for the advice all. Think I need to consider how I tell my father …Thanks for the advice all. Think I need to consider how I tell my father that he needs to stop driving.

You don't have to do it immediately.
Do it in stages.
It's a hard thing to do but he's not stupid and will accept it over time.
My aunt has a 1.4 automatic honda Jazz. She's 85 and drives it like a go-kart. I honestly think any other car would fly off the road the way she goes round corners.
Never give her an ounce of bother. Easy to park too.
My 2 penny wort
I was with my brother last Saturday at Morrison's car park an OAP hit the excelerator in sted of brake rite off 5 cars including my brother one. My point it check there reaction time not just there eye.
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 21:38

Oh know! I’m sticking with ford till I die. Always loved Ford’s, can aff …Oh know! I’m sticking with ford till I die. Always loved Ford’s, can afford an Audi/BMW/Jag but love my ford. May treat myself to a mustang one day!

Me too. Love Ford. Super reliable.
BMW M4 or for comfort M5. Kia Stinger. Mercedes G-wagon.
Sammy8602/11/2019 00:30

BMW M4 or for comfort M5. Kia Stinger. Mercedes G-wagon.

This is a thread for a car for an OAP who maybe should consider giving up driving.
Any driver that has started to drive 'slightly erratic' as you put it should be strongly encouraged to give up driving.
Our daft laws in this country where a pensioner can declare themselves fit to drive is total stupidity.
ageuk.org.uk/inf…ng/
porsche911turbo02/11/2019 03:46

Any driver that has started to drive 'slightly erratic' as you put it …Any driver that has started to drive 'slightly erratic' as you put it should be strongly encouraged to give up driving.Our daft laws in this country where a pensioner can declare themselves fit to drive is total stupidity.https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/travel-hobbies/driving/worried-about-someones-driving/

It is because they vote while the working class doesn't in as many numbers. Every politician starts thinking about re-election the day after winning one.
Just before his 70th birthday he should have received a DVLA letter saying he needed a doctor's certificate to say he was still fit to drive. Add to the cost of the new car, the annual insurance, mot, tax and servicing, plus petrol, and put to him that he could have taxis. If you live nearby, say you are willing to take him to places when you can.

Fortunately, my late father decided to give up driving when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. My mother then moved closer to town so didn't need to drive anymore.
JimboParrot02/11/2019 08:35

Just before his 70th birthday he should have received a DVLA letter saying …Just before his 70th birthday he should have received a DVLA letter saying he needed a doctor's certificate to say he was still fit to drive. Add to the cost of the new car, the annual insurance, mot, tax and servicing, plus petrol, and put to him that he could have taxis. If you live nearby, say you are willing to take him to places when you can.Fortunately, my late father decided to give up driving when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. My mother then moved closer to town so didn't need to drive anymore.

Will try but I think he may see it as having his independence taken away. My thinking was getting him a smaller less powerful car may reduce the risk as it's easier to handle.

One of the things I've noticed is the deterioration in spacial awareness he seems to go for gaps that aren't there. Not sure if this is one of the symptoms of getting old or a vision thing.

I know as I kid I used to look at my dad's driving and thought he was awesome especially the way he anticipated hazards and parked into tight spots unaided so it's difficult to see him like this
Edited by: "Stevelow_212" 2nd Nov
Stevelow_21202/11/2019 08:42

Will try but I think he may see it as having his independence taken away. …Will try but I think he may see it as having his independence taken away. My thinking was getting him a smaller less powerful car may reduce the risk as it's easier to handle.One of the things I've noticed is the deterioration in spacial awareness he seems to go for gaps that aren't there. Not sure if this is one of the symptoms of getting old or a vision thing.I know as I kid I used to look at my dad's driving and thought he was awesome especially the way he anticipated hazards and parked into tight spots unaided so it's difficult to see him like this

It is sad and I fully understand about how you thought his driving was awesome. I did too, mine loved motorbikes and cars.

One way to may be approach it would be to ask how he would cope if someone hit him. I know of a couple of people who have been involved in scrapes at junctions and the other parties involved have given false names and addresses. Also it could then result in his licence being revoked so would be better if he was able to say 'I decided to give up driving before I was told too', or similar.
Suzuki wagon r? It's like a green house on wheels lol. Had used one a few years back when car was in garage, it's definitely an old people's car.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants