OBD2 Reader wired from Amazon

Posted 23rd MarEdited by:"tiki3471"
Hi All

Engine management light came on my car today and with most garages where I live closed becaus of the Corona Virus wanted to get a reader which would at least let me know what the fault was.

There's a fair few on Amazon between £10 for a used one and £20 for a new one but was not sure which one to get.

Had the bluetooth one previously bu was no good which is why I want a wired one.

Car is a 2011 Ford Galaxy 2.0 CDTI.

Thanks for any help given.
Waqas
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
There is an issue with the elm chip used in some of them. I have a konweii which works well with everything, but newer ones can be problematic.

check the websites for whatever app you want to use and they may have recommendations for the best ones to get currently.

if vw group then vcds/vag com is the way to go.
esar23/03/2020 13:51

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324044088441[Image]

That says it can only be used on petrol vehicles and mine is a diesel. Will add this info above.
ebay.co.uk/itm…zyS

Maybe this one? is exactly the same I used on my diesel jaguar when the dealer I got it off reckoned their was no problem...it read the codes, and then he had no choice but to fix it (codes through up turbo actuators sticking). It cost him £1100 to get it fixed (he gave me the receipt - good guy). Says it'll work on Ford. For £11, I reckon it's worth a punt.
You should get a modified Elm adapter and use Forscan

It's dealer level diagnostics and very good, does forced regenerations too etc..

Think you can get Bluetooth ones too but I prefered hardwired and using an old laptop.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 23rd Mar
tiki347123/03/2020 14:43

That says it can only be used on petrol vehicles and mine is a diesel. …That says it can only be used on petrol vehicles and mine is a diesel. Will add this info above.

Shocked by that, always read my codes, and my last 3 cars have all been diesel
tiki347123/03/2020 14:43

That says it can only be used on petrol vehicles and mine is a diesel. …That says it can only be used on petrol vehicles and mine is a diesel. Will add this info above.

plenty on Amazon, easy to use and remove simple codes.
.MUFC.23/03/2020 15:21

You should get a modified Elm adapter and use ForscanIt's dealer level …You should get a modified Elm adapter and use ForscanIt's dealer level diagnostics and very good, does forced regenerations too etc..Think you can get Bluetooth ones too but I prefered hardwired and using an old laptop.

I second this, for a Ford you really want a Forscan compatible cable, it gives you so much more than the generic ones. Got mine for around £10 on ebay.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 23rd Mar
Forscan is well known to be good for Ford's, use a Vgate bluetooth one and the Torque app on my focus when I had lambda sensor issues and seems to link to my Mondeo fine via Bluetooth.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants