Obviously fake 512GB micro SD card sold by CEX for £40

Found 29th Jul
Found this after a run in with CEX selling me a dead SODIMM for a laptop and refusing to believe they could have sold me a ram with a microscopic fracture in one of the chips because "we test everything". I pointed out they don't test everything or they wouldn't be selling fake 512gb micro sd cards. Robot CS just kept bleating on that everything they sell is thoroughly tested. Oh really.....?
uk.webuy.com/pro…750
Community Updates
Misc
22 Comments
If you paid by card, chargeback the transaction.
The ram comes with warranty. Just send it back as damaged. Stuff isn't tested before being shipped.
To clarify, I bought the SODIMM in a physical shop and took it back there. My mistake was in pointing out the microscopic crack in one of the chips as a likely cause of failure. This was seized upon as "physical damage" which they would not refund as it was absolutely impossible for them to have missed it when they took it off the shelf and sold it to me. I obviously caused it by being shot at or beaten with a baseball bat on the way home. I put it to them that their employee was possibly a human who missed the damage. They insisted that this was impossible. I asked them if they seriously wanted to jeopardize thousands of pounds in future custom for the sake of (wait for it...) £3.95 worth of ram. I've spent thousands with them in the past and had put up with their fake sd cards which I'd returned, having them send entirely the wrong thing, having them ignore my emails etc. This however made me realise that I'd got off lightly so I dumped it on the counter and walked away. If I buy a phone in the future and have a problem with it which they identify as say water damage which they missed before shipping then they can simply refuse to honour the warranty. Of course I can try to get satisfaction via chargeback etc. and end up in a huge dispute but I really haven't got the heart to play Russian roulette with CEX anymore.
Nice to see 512GB fake SD cards are available cheaper elsewhere though!
Edited by: "Kreskin" 29th Jul
Unless the employee used a microscope to check the ram he would not have been able to see the crack. Good job you had a microscope to check it over to find the fault.
What is a fake SD card? One that has less GB than advertised? The link just takes me to CEX home page so not sure what you mean by fake.
666FU9 h, 14 m ago

Unless the employee used a microscope to check the ram he would not have …Unless the employee used a microscope to check the ram he would not have been able to see the crack. Good job you had a microscope to check it over to find the fault.

I actually used a loupe magnifier, but yes it is indeed fortunate. They're cheap enough and extremely useful.
As far as I know CEX don't test RAM, or at least they don't in my local shop
Satan_Claws1 h, 34 m ago

What is a fake SD card? One that has less GB than advertised? The link …What is a fake SD card? One that has less GB than advertised? The link just takes me to CEX home page so not sure what you mean by fake.

Don't know why you're just being taken to the home page as "fanpages" found it OK using the link. It's found under "Blue Wave SD Card 512 GB". A previous purchaser reported it as fake. Fake in the sense of not having its advertised capacity as is common among high capacity cards sold at a fraction of the normal price for such large capacity. They are often sold as "upgraded" meaning they can be formatted as high capacity cards but don't in fact store data beyond their true capacity. Software such as H2testw will confirm the true capacity but this takes time, probably as much as a day for large cards like this.
You'll notice CEX won't actually buy this item anymore despite only having two in stock and this being an excellent price for a 512GB card. I'm used to eBay allowing this kind of rubbish but it's a sad day when CEX openly allow it even though I've tried to warn them. Here's what a seller of the same card on eBay says (Only £19.99 if you're interested):
"Condition is New. Blue Wave. I never check them. Don't know if they work correctly. You buying on your own risk. Returns are not accepted.". It's rebranded landfill.
drasim4 m ago

As far as I know CEX don't test RAM, or at least they don't in my local …As far as I know CEX don't test RAM, or at least they don't in my local shop

I know. I sold them a CPU a few years ago. The employee asked their supervisor what to do about testing and they just shrugged, said "We can't test them, just buy it in....". This is why it's russian roulette buying from them. If they don't want to give you a refund for something faulty they'll just claim everything is tested and you're responsible for any damage. Sure you can go down the legal route but life's kind of short.
Kreskin2 m ago

I know. I sold them a CPU a few years ago. The employee asked their …I know. I sold them a CPU a few years ago. The employee asked their supervisor what to do about testing and they just shrugged, said "We can't test them, just buy it in....". This is why it's russian roulette buying from them. If they don't want to give you a refund for something faulty they'll just claim everything is tested and you're responsible for any damage. Sure you can go down the legal route but life's kind of short.

Yeah I've found the same with CPU's, yet they go the extra mile with hard drives and batteries, ensuring 0 bad sectors, and no less than (90%?) wear.
drasim7 m ago

Yeah I've found the same with CPU's, yet they go the extra mile with hard …Yeah I've found the same with CPU's, yet they go the extra mile with hard drives and batteries, ensuring 0 bad sectors, and no less than (90%?) wear.

I think it's commercial viability. Testing a CPU is hard as they'd have to have n types of motherboard, attach heatsinks, run them for hours. They won't tie up staff and facilities doing that. There are only a few types of drive and anyone can be taught to plug them into a dock, press a button and walk away while the software does its stuff. Micro SD cards take ages to test thoroughly.
Kreskin1 h, 15 m ago

I actually used a loupe magnifier, but yes it is indeed fortunate. They're …I actually used a loupe magnifier, but yes it is indeed fortunate. They're cheap enough and extremely useful.

So it wasn't a "microscopic fracture" just a very small fine one which was visible with a magnifying glass?
666FU55 m ago

So it wasn't a "microscopic fracture" just a very small fine one which was …So it wasn't a "microscopic fracture" just a very small fine one which was visible with a magnifying glass?

Your sentence needs to read "So it wasn't a "microscopic fracture", just a very small fine one which was visible with a magnifying glass?" (note the comma). If you're going to troll you've got to do better than that. You need to be attacking me on the "But can you prove the memory card is fake?" front.
You're now on mute anyway, fire away.
Edited by: "Kreskin" 30th Jul
I’ve dealt with CeX a lot! They have little rip off tricks to catch you out. If you email their customer service with esolve@webuy.com they will sort you out, like me. The people working their have no clue, just get in touch with customer services and make your point clear. Also their Twitter @cexsupport is a good place to start.
If you’ve had problems before with them. Then why would you keep going back to buy more.

Once a person has had a bad experience somewhere, they tend not to go back.

They should give you the refund. However, it seems like you had many warning signs telling you to avoid them but still decided to go there.
Online customer service have actually offered me a £5 voucher while simultaneously insisting they don't sell fake products and that the RAM I was sold must have been fine when it left the store. I've told them to stuff it as on that basis I'm not going back. I've also asked them to take down the 512GB fake memory card they're still selling but they won't.
If anyone wants a fake memory card from CEX I'd recommend trying any of their larger capacity cards. Sadly they've run out of these Verbatim 512GB fakes (which they at least describe as fake but cost £120!).....
*Fake* Verbatim 512GB Micro SD Card SDXC 10
if you have a twitter account or facebook i wouls post about the fake SD card on there, as social media complaint teams have more powers nowadays than the regular call center plebs.

Recently i took a PS4 in only to be told by 3 of them they dont buy or sell consoles that have had the waranty stickers removed, i then had to point out exactly where the warranty stickers were with a 4th member of staff agreeing with me. I know for components the inspection is completely visual, because i have sold multiple components to them and knew someone who managed a store.
Makes me wonder how a place like CEX stays in business when they sell 2nd hand stuff for nearly the same/more than the price of new stuff.

Now I know why.
Simba9222 h, 48 m ago

If you’ve had problems before with them. Then why would you keep going b …If you’ve had problems before with them. Then why would you keep going back to buy more.Once a person has had a bad experience somewhere, they tend not to go back.

Because they have some great deals.
I've had to return about a 3rd of the stuff I buy from there online because they send the wrong item usually but rarely faulty.
Last week I returned something which was the wrong model, wrong colour and didn't charge.
One of the guys in the store knows me well now and laughed and said, the perfect trifecta.
We just make light of it and I video opening any packages from CeX now as proof just in case they get suspicious I am doing something.
drasim30th Jul

As far as I know CEX don't test RAM, or at least they don't in my local …As far as I know CEX don't test RAM, or at least they don't in my local shop

They do normally, they have a motherboard in the test area.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants