Octopus energy

Posted 16th Sep 2020
Anyone with them and would/wouldn't recommend them?
Community Updates
Ask
37 Comments
They're alright, as long as you don't mind emailing instead of calling them. They usually reply quick but not had any issues really. They're recommended by uSwitch
I’m with them, all good so far. App is easy to use, no issues. Currently £150 in credit with them. Do the refer a friend thing to get credit onto your account...
Anyone tried their "Agile" tariff? If so, how has it been?
If they dont have contact except email i would avoid, i was with lumo with email only and i had problems and it was an absolute nightmare only having contact via email
Best ever company. I have been with them and can't praise them enough.
Be careful of their tariffs some have high standing charges. Mine was 30p per day.
They do have a phone number, it is easy to get through and they are fast to answer and very polite.

I use agile, which is great if you like data and you care about minimising your bills. I like the fact my EV car charger tells me when the price will be low, as it reads the Octopus Agile tariff data daily, and sends a notification on your phone to say how cheap it is going to be. Means I can charge the car, do the hot wash cycle for my washing machine, and put the hot water heater on and it cost a fraction of other tariffs.

I'm an unlucky enough to have a gas cooker, and a gas hob which means I miss out using too much on the peaks between 16:00 - 19:00, in fact total usage over that period most days is about 1kWh in total, or an average of 333W per hour.

I second they are the best utility company I have ever dealt with.
Very good experience, I am on Agile with an Ohme car charger so my ev charges overnight at the cheapest price automatically
Edited by: "MT2045" 16th Sep
To Agile users; does the Octopus app allow you to look at past days' usage and see how many units you used during each half hour slot?
shelliebish16/09/2020 11:23

I’m with them, all good so far. App is easy to use, no issues. Currently £ …I’m with them, all good so far. App is easy to use, no issues. Currently £150 in credit with them. Do the refer a friend thing to get credit onto your account...

Can you send me a link please.
Had good experiences however at renewal they came out to be expensive. 3 months after switch to BG they still bill me for electricity due to human error on their side. They then have to manually cancel the bill.
I was with them for a year or so, only switched when I got a cheaper deal elsewhere but was very happy with them while I was a customer.
MR112316/09/2020 14:09

Can you send me a link please.

https://octopus.energy/friend-referral/
We were referred by the father in law and I think we both had credit given
Gumbon16/09/2020 15:56

[Image]

Hi Has it worked out cheaper than on normal tarrif? By how much would you say?

We do our cooking and washing machine outside of those times. I don't have anything to charge, no car or anything. Only the TV and games console is likely to be on at those times 4-7pm .

@Uncommon.Sense
@MT2045
Edited by: "MR1123" 16th Sep
The average cost I am paying per kWh excluding charging the car is under 8p, but as I said I don't have a peak demand, and the passive consumption of the house is low(ish) with only things on 24/7 being a server, a fridge freezer, a router, modem and access point, a couple of alarm clocks and some other low drain appliances, and some items in low power standby like printers and Hi-Fi/Home cinema equipment.

The biggest difference for me is the ability to not pay much more than 0.8p per mile for the car, meaning it costs me roughly 8p per day for the commute plus other bits on top, I reckon a weekly spend on fuel for the car is 75p, and if we go somewhere far £1.50.
Damn it, will need a smart meter so no good for agile.
MR112316/09/2020 17:54

Damn it, will need a smart meter so no good for agile.

I think they will instaLll one.
MR112316/09/2020 18:05

Yes but I prefer not to have a smart one.

Huh, why?
niconelove16/09/2020 11:41

If they dont have contact except email i would avoid, i was with lumo with …If they dont have contact except email i would avoid, i was with lumo with email only and i had problems and it was an absolute nightmare only having contact via email

Octopus are not Lumo, stop lumping everyone in the same category.
Weve been on Octopus a while now, excellent, zero complaints, consistent service, least problematical we have encountered in fact, met the boss as I recall at an event the other year on the floor, no airs nor graces, intelligent beyond what I'm used to dealing with.
MR112316/09/2020 18:05

Yes but I prefer not to have a smart one.

Ditto, we simply said no, & thats been that, no pressure since.
Uncommon.Sense16/09/2020 18:42

Huh, why?

I don't see a reason to change, my current one isn't broke. So why risk a new one and gain a potential headache. Which has been a problem for many so I'd rather avoid the headache. Heard you pay the same as well. Have you checked with your current usage smart meter quote Vs normal?
Uncommon.Sense16/09/2020 12:00

They do have a phone number, it is easy to get through and they are fast …They do have a phone number, it is easy to get through and they are fast to answer and very polite.I use agile, which is great if you like data and you care about minimising your bills. I like the fact my EV car charger tells me when the price will be low, as it reads the Octopus Agile tariff data daily, and sends a notification on your phone to say how cheap it is going to be. Means I can charge the car, do the hot wash cycle for my washing machine, and put the hot water heater on and it cost a fraction of other tariffs.I'm an unlucky enough to have a gas cooker, and a gas hob which means I miss out using too much on the peaks between 16:00 - 19:00, in fact total usage over that period most days is about 1kWh in total, or an average of 333W per hour. I second they are the best utility company I have ever dealt with.

What EV charger do you have?
MR112316/09/2020 21:28

I don't see a reason to change, my current one isn't broke. So why risk a …I don't see a reason to change, my current one isn't broke. So why risk a new one and gain a potential headache. Which has been a problem for many so I'd rather avoid the headache. Heard you pay the same as well. Have you checked with your current usage smart meter quote Vs normal?

You do know what a smart is right?

It's not some magical voodoo contraption that changes the way you consume electricity. The 'smart' bit is the fact it is connected to a dedicated secure wireless network called DCC, if using a SMETS2 meter, and all this does is allow the transmission of the data/usage of the electricity going into you property back to your chosen provider so they can produce a bill. If you too away the DCC connection it is essentially exactly the same as a 'dumb' meter and neither meters cause you to spend more than the other, they do the same thing measure your electricity usage!

The reason tariffs like Agile exist is because they can do this, they need to be able to take reading every 30 mins to see how much you have used, as each 30 min segment can cost a different price, as this is how wholesale electricity is bought by providers from the grid, they are passing the potential savings on by the person being actually 'smart', not the meter, the meter just provides the means to an end.

Hope this helps, no idea where people get these mad ideas from, FYI just in case the earth is definitely not flat!
Uncommon.Sense17/09/2020 07:19

You do know what a smart is right? It's not some magical voodoo …You do know what a smart is right? It's not some magical voodoo contraption that changes the way you consume electricity. The 'smart' bit is the fact it is connected to a dedicated secure wireless network called DCC, if using a SMETS2 meter, and all this does is allow the transmission of the data/usage of the electricity going into you property back to your chosen provider so they can produce a bill. If you too away the DCC connection it is essentially exactly the same as a 'dumb' meter and neither meters cause you to spend more than the other, they do the same thing measure your electricity usage!The reason tariffs like Agile exist is because they can do this, they need to be able to take reading every 30 mins to see how much you have used, as each 30 min segment can cost a different price, as this is how wholesale electricity is bought by providers from the grid, they are passing the potential savings on by the person being actually 'smart', not the meter, the meter just provides the means to an end.Hope this helps, no idea where people get these mad ideas from, FYI just in case the earth is definitely not flat!

I knew this except the earth bit . I dont need all that, if it saves me money, I'd be interested. Let me know how much you saved than by going on agile Vs any other smart meter tariff you had before. I've just read as well you are limited with suppliers if you have smart meter.
MR112317/09/2020 07:47

I knew this except the earth bit . I dont need all that, if it saves …I knew this except the earth bit . I dont need all that, if it saves me money, I'd be interested. Let me know how much you saved than by going on agile Vs any other smart meter tariff you had before. I've just read as well you are limited with suppliers if you have smart meter.

You're not limited to suppliers if you have a smart meter. They will all take you on, just some treat the smart meter as a dumb one and you have to manually supply readings...much as you are now.
Edited by: "StonkwellBogtrotter" 17th Sep
Me and my mum are with octupus. I phone and email them, phone always answered within 60seconds. I’ve no complaints so far. The referral amount isn’t too bad either.
MR112317/09/2020 07:47

I knew this except the earth bit . I dont need all that, if it saves …I knew this except the earth bit . I dont need all that, if it saves me money, I'd be interested. Let me know how much you saved than by going on agile Vs any other smart meter tariff you had before. I've just read as well you are limited with suppliers if you have smart meter.

Well the average cost per kWh was over 13p, and now it is below 8p and that is before the car is factored in. So, I am saving roughly 35% there is no other tariff that would come close for the way I consume, and as there is no tie in I can swap month to month should this ever change.

As for the suppliers thing, every supplier has to accept smart meter customers from a given date, assuming it is a new SEMTS2 version not the older ones, but nearly all suppliers are now having those installed and 90%+ will switch you presently.

Don't forget the whole of the UK power grid is relying on the grid to become smart as we transition more and more to renewable energy supplies. It is also paving the way for V2H and V2G, sorry Vehicle to Grid and Vehicle to Home, these allow your smart meter/charger to talk to each other and if you wish use your car to power you home at peak times or supply it to the grid and either get paid for it, or take a unit credit, and then take cheaper off-peak energy to recharge you car. Over the next decade the infrastructure of the national grid is going to change significantly, as is the make up of vehicles people are using. Consider the fact that an average home uses 4000kWh of energy per year (~11kWh per day) you could power your home from your vehicle for a fraction of the cost of the peak time pricing by being 'smart' as a customer.

It is about changing the way people view the utility, and how to minimise waste, and maximise efficiency not just have the attitude of zero responsibility for the consumption of something the have a right to.
Uncommon.Sense17/09/2020 08:11

Well the average cost per kWh was over 13p, and now it is below 8p and …Well the average cost per kWh was over 13p, and now it is below 8p and that is before the car is factored in. So, I am saving roughly 35% there is no other tariff that would come close for the way I consume, and as there is no tie in I can swap month to month should this ever change.As for the suppliers thing, every supplier has to accept smart meter customers from a given date, assuming it is a new SEMTS2 version not the older ones, but nearly all suppliers are now having those installed and 90%+ will switch you presently. Don't forget the whole of the UK power grid is relying on the grid to become smart as we transition more and more to renewable energy supplies. It is also paving the way for V2H and V2G, sorry Vehicle to Grid and Vehicle to Home, these allow your smart meter/charger to talk to each other and if you wish use your car to power you home at peak times or supply it to the grid and either get paid for it, or take a unit credit, and then take cheaper off-peak energy to recharge you car. Over the next decade the infrastructure of the national grid is going to change significantly, as is the make up of vehicles people are using. Consider the fact that an average home uses 4000kWh of energy per year (~11kWh per day) you could power your home from your vehicle for a fraction of the cost of the peak time pricing by being 'smart' as a customer. It is about changing the way people view the utility, and how to minimise waste, and maximise efficiency not just have the attitude of zero responsibility for the consumption of something the have a right to.

Thanks.

"It is about changing the way people view the utility, and how to minimise waste, and maximise efficiency not just have the attitude of zero responsibility for the consumption of something the have a right to."

Tell that to the people who have Alexa, Phillips hue, 4 tablets, 4TVs, all the gadgets. Spot lights all over the house etc

This is my usage.

Electricity Unit Rate (p/kWh)
14.614Electricity Standing Charge (p/day)
Gas Unit Rate (p/kwh)
Gas Standing Charge (p/day)
Early Exit Fees
Electricity: £36, Gas: £36

For the Year
Electricity 2778
Gas 9155.
Edited by: "MR1123" 17th Sep
The downside of Smart meters is that the big energy companies will consume data & find a way of upping your energy costs under the guise of saving it, they are beholden to their shareholders NOT the consumer, & it is their duty to explore revenue raising potential.
I'm happy to reduce my consumption by means of extra loft insulation, wall insulation. floor slab insulation, sensible clothes rather than t-shirts in winter, efficient heating & cooling installation, shading against summer heat excess etc, etc, but I still do not like a smart meter.
MR112316/09/2020 16:11

Hi Has it worked out cheaper than on normal tarrif? By how much would you …Hi Has it worked out cheaper than on normal tarrif? By how much would you say? We do our cooking and washing machine outside of those times. I don't have anything to charge, no car or anything. Only the TV and games console is likely to be on at those times 4-7pm .@Uncommon.Sense @MT2045

My first electric bill (mid July to mid August) after the smart meter was installed was billed at an average of 7.15p

This was without the major reductions in the previous months due to the lockdown and no deliberate exclusion of the peak 4pm to 7pm hours. Car is set to charge to 90% by 6:30 the next morning.
Edited by: "MT2045" 18th Sep
41957252-Hrw5L.jpg
MT204518/09/2020 18:31

[Image]

Thank you so much, that helps with my decision easy.
OKay looks like smart meter or not I'll be paying the same. If I select smart meter option instead of standard with same usage it's the same amount so no saving at all. The only saving I can see is with the agile ocotpos plan.
Edited by: "MR1123" 19th Sep
Question for all : Those of you who have smart meters, do you find that you are paying more compared to when you didn't have one ?
zworld19/09/2020 11:30

Question for all : Those of you who have smart meters, do you find that …Question for all : Those of you who have smart meters, do you find that you are paying more compared to when you didn't have one ?

It's the same, you can use your own usage or just make up a number and select smart meter when getting a quote and do the same for standard, they quote the same price. But agile is a different tarrif altogether, where you use electricity outside of peak hours and there is some savings to have there.
Post a comment
@
    Text