Posted 19th Dec 2021
Anyone else on Octopus Go get false readings in their hub?

I just got a bill totally different to what the hub says, after contacting Octopus and a bit of searching I realised the hub is reporting 5p kw/ph ALL the time and not just during the reduced time.

Octopus say they can't currently resolve this.

So is the hub essentially useless?
Not very "smart" is it
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Author
    chuffedfox19/12/2021 10:19

By 'hub', do you mean the IHD (in home display) that roughly shows your …By 'hub', do you mean the IHD (in home display) that roughly shows your usage?If so, there's nothing about the hub that would claim to be smart or accurate, it's generally just for indicative purposes. The meter itself is the 'smart' part.You should still be able to use your meter readings to verify usage as per a non-smart meter

Yeah that's the one. Never had one before so thought it would be helpful and was pleased to see how little I was spending, only to realise it's lies, all lies!!

fiestasteve4419/12/2021 11:10

If you are paying 5p all day then I would keep quiet.

Sadly not, being billed correctly which is what made me investigate. Hub said I had spent £77, bill was over £200.

Worked out the sums and the bill is correct for what we use.

this1isfine19/12/2021 10:55

My Octopus IHD is only showing electricity and has never shown the gas. I …My Octopus IHD is only showing electricity and has never shown the gas. I thought the gas meter is linked to the electricity one to send the info to the hub? Tried taking the hub nearer to the meters and also rebooting it.The other day my IHD kept rebooting multiple times in quick succession by itself.... I turned it off.Only had the smart meters installed a few days ago. It was bad enough front door bashing the hall side table each time the installer went outside the property. Plus him dumping the old meters on the wooden floor and pushing them around. At one point he wanted the home wifi password which I refused to give.Already kind of regretting it. I suppose it will save me from random meter reader people calling in the future. This was the reason I opted for having them installed. Although I later read online the smart meters only last 10 years before needing to be replaced. That doesn't seem very long lasting. The IHD battery charge doesn't last long between charges. Yes it can be kept plugged in. At least my old boiler didn't fry as a result of the installation. Found a few reports online after the installation. Those may have put me off.

I had a SMET1 smart meter for ages but Octopus said I could have new one so thought why not?

I too have turned the IHD off as it's pointless with being on the wrong tariff. (edited)
  2. Avatar
    By 'hub', do you mean the IHD (in home display) that roughly shows your usage?

If so, there's nothing about the hub that would claim to be smart or accurate, it's generally just for indicative purposes. The meter itself is the 'smart' part.
    You should still be able to use your meter readings to verify usage as per a non-smart meter
  3. Avatar
    the website is wrong for me, when I get my bill its completly diffrent, I've tried to argue it but they just say sorry the website not accurate lol
  4. Avatar
    My Octopus IHD is only showing electricity and has never shown the gas. I thought the gas meter is linked to the electricity one to send the info to the hub? Tried taking the hub nearer to the meters and also rebooting it.

The other day my IHD kept rebooting multiple times in quick succession by itself.... I turned it off.

Only had the smart meters installed a few days ago. It was bad enough front door bashing the hall side table each time the installer went outside the property. Plus him dumping the old meters on the wooden floor and pushing them around. At one point he wanted the home wifi password which I refused to give.

Already kind of regretting it. I suppose it will save me from random meter reader people calling in the future. This was the reason I opted for having them installed. Although I later read online the smart meters only last 10 years before needing to be replaced. That doesn't seem very long lasting. The IHD battery charge doesn't last long between charges. Yes it can be kept plugged in. At least my old boiler didn't fry as a result of the installation. Found a few reports online after the installation. Those may have put me off.
  5. Avatar
    My Octopus display doesn't know I'm on the Go tariff, paying 5p/kWh overnight, so the cost display is useless. Fortunately, the Octopus app and website will report your usage costs correctly.

If you're into programming, you can also run your own CURL commands to retrieve your smart meter data, and create your own reporting dashboard etc.

The hub doesn't need your home wi-fi password at all, it's completely separate. (edited)
  6. Avatar
    If you are paying 5p all day then I would keep quiet.
  7. Avatar
    been with i octopus nearly 2 years, no smart meter installed, no one has ever came into house to read lecci meter?
Top Merchants