Groups

Odd request... How to stop a pc starting up?

Ok in short, someone is using our PC's without permission, I have put a password on one, but we went down the route of the other one being faulty. Long story on why I cant just password the second pc, so can someone just give me a few ideas how I can stop it from starting up, make the faulty story credible...

Tried switching the power off at the back, but they sussed that out.

Thanks.

22 Comments

take fuse out plug, put a bios startup password

delete c:\windows

Original Poster

Babbabooey

delete c:\windows8)

Smack. Lol

Change the boot order in the bios and p/w the bios. change the first boot device to the dvd and disable the rest.

Original Poster

jackvdbuk

take fuse out plug, put a bios startup password

Like I said, don't want to do passwords.

And I would rather there seem to be power, enforcing our fault story.

Original Poster

evolution07

Change the boot order in the bios and p/w the bios. change the first boot … Change the boot order in the bios and p/w the bios. change the first boot device to the dvd and disable the rest.

I did look at that earlier, but what happens when we want the pc to boot up as normal lol

Flashing an incorrect Bios image would render the PC inoperable, but only do this if you have a motherboard that has a dual bios backup, because it literally would render your PC inoperable!

have a look here: usb boot key

Also if you use vista/7 ultimate you can use bitlocker which secures the drive and requires a usb stick to unlock - for one of a better word

Swap yours for a Hewlett Packard

Can we have the full story please? I for one am intrigued.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys, will have a look into the usb key thing and bitlocker

xxx

The PC will be hungry,just give it some cookies.

deek72

Can we have the full story please? I for one am intrigued.

ChipSticks

Thanks for the help guys, will have a look into the usb key thing and … Thanks for the help guys, will have a look into the usb key thing and bitlocker xxx

How about a condensed version then?

yeah full story...

change output on monitor, put pc in the bin

Hint?

Disconnect the power button on the case and set up wake on lan and disable all other boot methods (set bios password). Then use wake on lan android app to remote turn on the computer (there is probably an iphone app too).

Smash the screen!

Take out the RAM. Disconnect the HDD.

Got a better 1, turn the switch off behind the psu, trust me thats the last place someone looks for a fault

cannyscot

Swap yours for a Hewlett Packard

You Sir are a genius.

Take out the RAM would be good
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmaticians2847
      2. One thing you've forgotten55
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767462
      4. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.816

See more discussions