ODEON, Cineworld, Picturehouse an VUE cinemas are closed until further notice.

Lead deal editor35
Posted 17th Mar
Update 1
Cineworld, Picturehouse and VUE also closing
Sadly i think many more closures incoming.

A facebook post from Odeon says

''Following government guidelines ODEON cinemas are closed until further notice. If you have pre-booked tickets online, these will be refunded automatically. For any specific questions, please contact our Guest Services Centre.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.''

3423434.jpg
Edit: Just to be clar, this is due to Coronavirus.

Help link

Facebook link

Update 17/03/2020 12.30pm

Cineworld and Picturehouse has announced the closure of all its cinemas across the UK starting from Wednesday, 18 March, and in Ireland starting on Tuesday until further notice.

A statement said the decision was made in light of the current coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak and recent UK government advice.

Cineworld Group CEO, Mooky Greidinger said: “At Cineworld and Picturehouse we are committed to providing safe and healthy environments for our employees and guests and have therefore made the difficult decision to close our cinemas in UK and Ireland until further notice.

“We deeply value our cinema-loving customers and have no doubt we will be serving everyone again as soon as possible with a full slate of Hollywood blockbusters and the best of independent films and content.”

Source

Update 17/03/2020 15.15pm

Vue now closed:

Vue cinemas also followed suit, saying in a statement: “In line with the UK Government’s latest public health advice we will be closing all our 91 cinemas in the UK & Ireland from today, March 17, until further notice

Source

Showcase Cinemas still open but with changes.

• Reduced audience capacity by 50% in each auditorium to allow for vacant space between each pair of seats
  • Instituted and reinforced a COVID-19 (“Coronavirus”) staff education programme
  • Provided all of our cinemas with additional supplies of hand sanitising stations placed at high-traffic areas.
  • Initiated the cleaning of public surfaces with antiviral cleaner multiple times per day.
  • Fully briefed and trained staff on all cleaning procedures

thanks Retro89 for the info

Community Updates

Groups

35 Comments
Is this all ODEON cinemas? I'm guessing it's due to Coronavirus, as that's the cause for (almost) everything like this now.
andrewworrall117/03/2020 10:13

Is this all ODEON cinemas? I'm guessing it's due to Coronavirus, as that's …Is this all ODEON cinemas? I'm guessing it's due to Coronavirus, as that's the cause for (almost) everything like this now.

Yup, ALL Odeon Cinemas and due to Coronvirus until further notice
What abut limitles card holders ?
Good. Nothing sad about this. Unless watching a film is more important to you than spreading/catching the virus.
solid17/03/2020 10:24

Comment deleted

gave the staff a week off paid for working so hard lately
My local Wetherspoons pub was open & had plenty of customers as I walked by this morning. No laws being broken but you would have thought people would have a little more common sense.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 17th Mar
captainbeaky17/03/2020 10:30

My local Wetherspoons pub was open & had plenty of customers as I walked …My local Wetherspoons pub was open & had plenty of customers as I walked by this morning. No laws being broken but you would have thought people would have a little more common sense.

Its incredible that the public are being told to stay away from pubs and clubs, but the government haven't explicitly told pubs and clubs to shut as well.
Leaves businesses in a strange and awkward position
New Balance closing factories and retail

We hope you and your loved ones are safe during this unprecedented time. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread, we are implementing a series of additional measures to ensure the health of our associates, customers, and communities.

These measures include temporary office, factory, and retail closures in the United States, Canada, and Western Europe. Effective Monday, 16th March, these facilities will remain closed until at least Friday, 27th March.

At this point, NewBalance.com will remain operational, and we will continue to evaluate our operations as the global situation develops. However, we are temporarily suspending our NB1 custom footwear program made at our Lawrence, Massachusetts factory.

In some countries across Europe we are experiencing delays in shipping and we ask for your patience while we work hard to ensure that you receive your merchandise in as close to your estimated shipping window as possible.

We must all do our part to help contain the spread of COVID-19. New Balance has previously enacted precautionary safety measures globally including business travel restrictions and remote work policies that will remain in place until further notice. We strongly encourage everyone to take all precautionary measures to safeguard their health, and the health of others, as recommended by World Health Organization and their local Health Authorities. Thank you for being part of our New Balance community. We will do everything in our power to welcome you back into our stores as soon as it's safe to do so.
solid17/03/2020 10:35

Its incredible that the public are being told to stay away from pubs and …Its incredible that the public are being told to stay away from pubs and clubs, but the government haven't explicitly told pubs and clubs to shut as well.Leaves businesses in a strange and awkward position

Yep - messaging all round needs to be clearer. It’s all very nice to have recommendations & guidelines but people have a habit of thinking they apply to everyone except themselves.

Theatres, restaurants, pubs etc have been left in terrible position because they can’t claim on the insurance that they would be entitled to if the gov forced them to close.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 17th Mar
@Dan_82 I still had some Groupon Tickets open due to expire this week.
Just been on chat and they've refunded them all, I chose credit for a future purchase.
They did say on the chat the operator (odeon) had made them aware, and they were refunding orders without hesitation when customers got in touch
What about Vue? Im assuming it's going to be every cinema if its because of government guidelines, sounds like they was forced not chose
PennyPincher201917/03/2020 11:01

@Dan_82 I still had some Groupon Tickets open due to expire this week.Just …@Dan_82 I still had some Groupon Tickets open due to expire this week.Just been on chat and they've refunded them all, I chose credit for a future purchase. They did say on the chat the operator (odeon) had made them aware, and they were refunding orders without hesitation when customers got in touch

That's really good to know, thank you
Appears cineworld are too.. Cant back it up but but all dates in future are greyed out.
SmokinAce717/03/2020 12:12

Appears cineworld are too.. Cant back it up but but all dates in future …Appears cineworld are too.. Cant back it up but but all dates in future are greyed out.

Just updated post re Cineworld, Picturehouse also
captainbeaky17/03/2020 10:30

My local Wetherspoons pub was open & had plenty of customers as I walked …My local Wetherspoons pub was open & had plenty of customers as I walked by this morning. No laws being broken but you would have thought people would have a little more common sense.

A lot of people seem to permanently think that about Wetherspoons.
I'd like to charge Odeon a 50p admin handling fee for my refund
I work part time at odeon can confirm.
Justsuperman17/03/2020 13:30

I work part time at odeon can confirm.

Thanks @Justsuperman - Have the team said much to you in terms of how long they expect to be closed for? Hope everything is OK with you, stay safe!
Dan_8217/03/2020 13:33

Thanks @Justsuperman - Have the team said much to you in terms of how …Thanks @Justsuperman - Have the team said much to you in terms of how long they expect to be closed for? Hope everything is OK with you, stay safe!

They don’t know, they just said they are following government advice and are temporary closed and have no date yet for reopening I guess it will be day by day now probably at least 2 weeks my guess but could be much longer depends on how bad things get
Justsuperman17/03/2020 13:35

They don’t know, they just said they are following government advice and a …They don’t know, they just said they are following government advice and are temporary closed and have no date yet for reopening I guess it will be day by day now probably at least 2 weeks my guess but could be much longer depends on how bad things get

Thanks @Justsuperman - Hope everything works out for you!
Showcase Cinemas still open but with changes.

• Reduced audience capacity by 50% in each auditorium to allow for vacant space between each pair of seats
  • Instituted and reinforced a COVID-19 (“Coronavirus”) staff education programme
  • Provided all of our cinemas with additional supplies of hand sanitising stations placed at high-traffic areas.
  • Initiated the cleaning of public surfaces with antiviral cleaner multiple times per day.
  • Fully briefed and trained staff on all cleaning procedures
Retro8917/03/2020 13:40

Showcase Cinemas still open but with changes.Reduced audience capacity by …Showcase Cinemas still open but with changes.Reduced audience capacity by 50% in each auditorium to allow for vacant space between each pair of seatsInstituted and reinforced a COVID-19 (“Coronavirus”) staff education programmeProvided all of our cinemas with additional supplies of hand sanitising stations placed at high-traffic areas.Initiated the cleaning of public surfaces with antiviral cleaner multiple times per day.Fully briefed and trained staff on all cleaning procedures

Thanks for the info, i'll add to the thread.
Honestly don't see how the Cinema industry will recover from this? Can see everything moving to a streaming service paid rental service... sad times
Dan_8217/03/2020 13:33

Thanks @Justsuperman - Have the team said much to you in terms of how …Thanks @Justsuperman - Have the team said much to you in terms of how long they expect to be closed for? Hope everything is OK with you, stay safe!

I'd expect them to be closed until further notice. The situation is changing rapdly, if the government announce a lockdown, like those in place in Italy and Spain, it would be pretty much out of their hands as to when they can reopen.
Haircut_10017/03/2020 14:43

I'd expect them to be closed until further notice. The situation is …I'd expect them to be closed until further notice. The situation is changing rapdly, if the government announce a lockdown, like those in place in Italy and Spain, it would be pretty much out of their hands as to when they can reopen.

Sad but I think you're correct
Vue now closed also

Vue cinemas also followed suit, saying in a statement: “In line with the UK Government’s latest public health advice we will be closing all our 91 cinemas in the UK & Ireland from today, March 17, until further notice
There was talk on the radio this morning that new releases may now be appearing online. The main reason they don't get released at the same time is the thread of a cinema boycott if they do. That threat exists no longer.
harrythefish17/03/2020 17:45

There was talk on the radio this morning that new releases may now be …There was talk on the radio this morning that new releases may now be appearing online. The main reason they don't get released at the same time is the thread of a cinema boycott if they do. That threat exists no longer.

interesting....
Edited by: "Dan_82" 17th Mar
harrythefish17/03/2020 17:45

There was talk on the radio this morning that new releases may now be …There was talk on the radio this morning that new releases may now be appearing online. The main reason they don't get released at the same time is the thread of a cinema boycott if they do. That threat exists no longer.

HUKD latest movie releases to be online discussion yesterday 16 March hotukdeals.com/dis…257
That's date night ruined, can't beat necking on the back row
johnandyson17/03/2020 18:00

Yuck spreding all the germs and infecting us all , why not save the cash you spend on the cinema and get a room ?
milkshake2217/03/2020 21:09

Yuck spreding all the germs and infecting us all , why not save the cash …Yuck spreding all the germs and infecting us all , why not save the cash you spend on the cinema and get a room ?

Hotel popcorn is terrible
Sky has partnered with NBCUniversal to make a range of movies available to rent at home through Sky Store, on the same day as the global premieres. This will begin with DreamWorks Animation’s Trolls World Tour on 6 April, the sequel to the Trolls blockbuster.
This is the first-time customers have been able to rent NBCUniversal movies as soon as they hit cinemas. This Friday, The Hunt, The Invisible Man and Emma will also be available on-demand on Sky Store, following their recent release in cinemas.
Edited by: "Wilky43" 17th Mar
johnandyson17/03/2020 18:00

I guess you'll just have to stay at home and neck with the missus instead
fablanta19/03/2020 13:54

I guess you'll just have to stay at home and neck with the missus instead …I guess you'll just have to stay at home and neck with the missus instead

Lodger gets in the way lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants