Groups

Off on holiday, Which Debit card to use?

Hi folks, i am off to India and Thailand for a 6 month holiday, I am currently with Lloyds and was told that i would be charged a transaction fee everytime i withdraw cash on my debit card.

Any suggestions as to which bank does not have these charges, I can open an account in the suggeted bank as long as i dont have to pay any mothly bank fees for the account.

Thanks for the help

8 Comments

nationwide flex account

Original Poster

Thanks, will check it out

blondemoment;5481023

nationwide flex account

Used to be free worldwide cash withdrawals, unfortunately not anymore - only free in Europe which doesn't help the OP.

I think you may look into the Abbey Zero credit card - afaik they don't charge per transaction.

Taken from moneysavingexpert:

Overall Winner: Abbey Zero. Worldwide 0% exchange rate load & ATM withdrawals.

The Abbey Zero card has no foreign exchange loading anywhere, so you get the best possible exchange rate, and uniquely it doesn't charge a fee for withdrawing cash.

The only negative is its high 27.9% cash withdrawal interest rate, which you pay even if you clear the card in full. Yet as that’s roughly £2 for a month per £100, it's still cheaper than paying interest PLUS the cash withdrawal fees on other cards.

This card also has a decent balance transfer offer; 0% for twelve months with a 3% fee. However, if you're using it for spending abroad, don't do a balance transfer too, as this can end up costing you big.

Quick Stats. European Load: 0%. Worldwide Load: 0%. Cash withdrawal fee: £0. APR: 18.9%. Interest charged on cash withdrawals even if paid off in full: Yes, 27.9%.

I used Lloyds card in Thailand and it was between £1.50-£2.00 every time i used it, doesnt sound much but it all adds up especially as i was there for a few months,

Where are you going in Thailand?

moob;5481154

Used to be free worldwide cash withdrawals, unfortunately not anymore - … Used to be free worldwide cash withdrawals, unfortunately not anymore - only free in Europe which doesn't help the OP.I think you may look into the Abbey Zero credit card - afaik they don't charge per transaction.Taken from moneysavingexpert: Overall Winner: Abbey Zero. Worldwide 0% exchange rate load & ATM withdrawals.The Abbey Zero card has no foreign exchange loading anywhere, so you get the best possible exchange rate, and uniquely it doesn't charge a fee for withdrawing cash.The only negative is its high 27.9% cash withdrawal interest rate, which you pay even if you clear the card in full. Yet as that’s roughly £2 for a month per £100, it's still cheaper than paying interest PLUS the cash withdrawal fees on other cards.This card also has a decent balance transfer offer; 0% for twelve months with a 3% fee. However, if you're using it for spending abroad, don't do a balance transfer too, as this can end up costing you big.Quick Stats. European Load: 0%. Worldwide Load: 0%. Cash withdrawal fee: £0. APR: 18.9%. Interest charged on cash withdrawals even if paid off in full: Yes, 27.9%.

Morning moob, good advice:thumbsup:

Thank you Sir.

Although it's no longer free worldwide it's only about a 1% fee with nationwide, which is what they're charged by visa, they're only passing it along. so still a good deal.

moob;5481154

The only negative is its high 27.9% cash withdrawal interest rate, which … The only negative is its high 27.9% cash withdrawal interest rate, which you pay even if you clear the card in full. Yet as that’s roughly £2 for a month per £100, it's still cheaper than paying interest PLUS the cash withdrawal fees on other cards.This card also has a decent balance transfer offer; 0% for twelve months with a 3% fee. However, if you're using it for spending abroad, don't do a balance transfer too, as this can end up costing you big.Quick Stats. European Load: 0%. Worldwide Load: 0%. Cash withdrawal fee: £0. APR: 18.9%. Interest charged on cash withdrawals even if paid off in full: Yes, 27.9%.

couldn't you get around the high interest charge by topping up your account before you go away so you are several hundred £s in credit, then when you cash money you will only be cutting into you credit? just a thought
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions