Groups

Off to Rome on thursday ...

We have been before and done all the main attractions, but has anyone got any advice or other things to see and do?

21 Comments

romans!!!

Banned

get the Dan Brown book.. Angels & Demons... loads of stuff in there to go see (various artwork (obvo hard to pick them out so try pick up the illustrated collectors edition)

Banned

lucky thing, hope you have a nice time x

Have an excllent time :thumbsup:
    I think it's just as good seeing all the usual stuff again as the first time around.:)
    If you like gardens, you could take a trip out to Tivoli.

Original Poster

acecatcher3;4191010

romans!!!

And do what with them?!! :roll:

Original Poster

ODB_69;4191058

get the Dan Brown book.. Angels & Demons... loads of stuff in there to go … get the Dan Brown book.. Angels & Demons... loads of stuff in there to go see (various artwork (obvo hard to pick them out so try pick up the illustrated collectors edition)

:thumbsup:...

When at the vatican, ask where the Nazi gold is hidden

Original Poster

sassie;4191070

lucky thing, hope you have a nice time x

Thankyou, will have all female company .............my missus, mom and sister :oops:

It is mom's xmas pressie !

smithyp1;4191108

And do what with them?!! :roll:

i recon u shud go to some of the churches, thought they were quite impressive tbh!

then get a huuuuge ciecream! i swear they do the best irecream in rome!

Banned

some great help in here....

Go to the cicstine chapel which is awesome. Good luck.

Original Poster

Let'sB&QIt;4191557

some great help in here....Go to the cicstine chapel which is awesome. … some great help in here....Go to the cicstine chapel which is awesome. Good luck.

he he he

We went last time but i'm sure we we will go again.
    Are there 2 tours you can do or just the one, can't quite remember?

if you're fit enough, just start walking and follow your nose

that's what me and my other half did a couple of years back - fantastic

agree totally with angels and demons coments

jammy devil....have fun :thumbsup:

Takes LOADS of money with you, ******* expensive. I was there in Aug. £4 for a bottle of coke!

Go and watch an FHM photoshoot?

If the weather's good, Ostia is really interesting, or if you don't mind an early start you can take the fast train to Naples and visit Pompeii.

I did the official Vatican guide of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel; you are meant to fax in advance but to book but if you go to the entrance and ask they might have space to put you on the list; the joy of this is that you don't need to queue, and it is also very reasonable, and interesting.

You could take a day trip to Orvieto to see the cathedral there and the Cappella di San Brizio- the town is very beautiful and the cathedral is amazing.

Chesso is right, Tivoli is beautiful; the Villa d' Este which is close is also worth seeing.

Cycling on the Appian way.

One of my favourite churches is San Paolo fuori le Mure; breathtaking architecture and beautiful cloister.

Ice cream of course- if the weather is warm enough.

The list is endless.....I also love shopping and there is plenty of that to be done near the Spanish Steps (if you are not affected by the credit crunch), and of course eating and drinking. I also love buying the paper products from places like Il Papiro, which you can't seem to get over here. The are a couple of shops like that near the Pantheon (probably my favourite thing to see).

Original Poster

studentessa;4192913

If the weather's good, Ostia is really interesting, or if you don't mind … If the weather's good, Ostia is really interesting, or if you don't mind an early start you can take the fast train to Naples and visit Pompeii. I did the official Vatican guide of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel; you are meant to fax in advance but to book but if you go to the entrance and ask they might have space to put you on the list; the joy of this is that you don't need to queue, and it is also very reasonable, and interesting.You could take a day trip to Orvieto to see the cathedral there and the Cappella di San Brizio- the town is very beautiful and the cathedral is amazing.Chesso is right, Tivoli is beautiful; the Villa d' Este which is close is also worth seeing.Cycling on the Appian way.One of my favourite churches is San Paolo fuori le Mure; breathtaking architecture and beautiful cloister.Ice cream of course- if the weather is warm enough.The list is endless.....I also love shopping and there is plenty of that to be done near the Spanish Steps (if you are not affected by the credit crunch), and of course eating and drinking. I also love buying the paper products from places like Il Papiro, which you can't seem to get over here. The are a couple of shops like that near the Pantheon (probably my favourite thing to see).

Great advice and info, thanks. :thumbsup:

Banned

Evil_monkey;4192871

Go and watch an FHM photoshoot?

Thats Romania not Rome!

ODB_69;4191058

get the Dan Brown book..

Please don't - you might encourage Dan Brown to write another one.....

Original Poster

gari189;4194914

Please don't - you might encourage Dan Brown to write another one.....

he he

JayBird;4192390

Takes LOADS of money with you, ******* expensive. I was there in Aug. £4 … Takes LOADS of money with you, ******* expensive. I was there in Aug. £4 for a bottle of coke!

Then you fell for the naive tourist trap. I was there a few months back and found quite a few newsagents tucked away in side streets which did botles of coke for 1.80 - 2.00 euros. With a little common traveller sense, Rome doesn't need to be any more expensive than any other capital city.

Anyway, on to the city... I was far more in awe of ancient Rome than anything else. The Vatican did little for me, in fact I wished we hadn't bothered and spent the day venturing south towards Aventine, which we never managed to do. The Pantheon is an incredible bulding, but the crowd of people inside annoyed me a lot, and I had no interest in the religious element. The Forum, Colosseum and Palatine Hill are where it's at for me, they were breathtaking, but I guess you went to those last time!

I agree with the poster that said just head out on foot and explore the city (with the help of a guide book of course ). It's such an incredible place. Next time we go (October as part of our honeymoon after a week in Sorrento), we are going to explore a bit more outside the historic centre, get down to the Aventine area which we missed last time. We're also planning an excursion to Tivoli which is supposed to be amazing, you should definitely look into that. It's where Hadrian built a sprawling villa complex outside of Rome... almost like a litle town from what I've heard.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2238
      2. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1125
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767342
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047131

See more discussions