Off white vs Magnolia

Found 16th Nov 2017
I would like to hear your independent opinions please.

There must have been at least 5 different people, over periods of time, that have asked me to paint properties in off white and when I reply that I want the properties to be painted in magnolia, their replies are exactly the same each time, so it would appear to be a common theme.

The replies I get are that off white makes the rooms look brighter and fresh. Off white makes the rooms look bigger and gives the property a modern look. That magnolia makes the rooms look dull and small and is old fashioned.

My personal opinion is that magnolia is a practical colour which does not make a room look smaller or dull. It is more sympathetic to scuff marks and takes longer to look tired in comparison to off white.

If you were to paint your own property, and bear in mind you will be responsible for future redecoration, and you only had the choice between off white and magnolia for the walls, which colour would you choose and why?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments
Ive had magnolia previously. Does look good and wears well, but recently had all painted white (not off-white) and it looks much more spacious and brighter, yes requires abit more maintenance but worth it for me,
I would never choose magnolia or off white, but if forced I'd go with a soft Apple white, clean bright and not as dated as magnolia. But then I like wallpaper and colour so maybe I'm not the best person to reply. Also repainting a room is such a quick diy job so in regard to scuff marks etc I wouldn't worry.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 16th Nov 2017
I'm a white with a hint of green person at the moment like tinkerbellian. Kitchen I've gone a kind of ivory cream colour. It goes well with the shocking pink flashbacks. I find off white too stark and Mongolia a big yellowy. Splashbacks that is not flashbacks. That would be weird
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 16th Nov 2017
Didn't know you were a decorator
32450704-rnfSI.jpg
Listen, if you paint in magnolia you have poor taste. If you paint in off white, you have good taste. It's as simple as that. If you plan living there for years, who cares?
Original Poster
summerof7620 m ago

Didn't know you were a decorator [Image]

decorators don't choose colours, they paint the walls whatever colour you want as long as you pay for it
Original Poster
tinkerbellian56 m ago

I would never choose magnolia or off white, but if forced I'd go with a …I would never choose magnolia or off white, but if forced I'd go with a soft Apple white, clean bright and not as dated as magnolia. But then I like wallpaper and colour so maybe I'm not the best person to reply. Also repainting a room is such a quick diy job so in regard to scuff marks etc I wouldn't worry.

it is interesting to hear that you think magnolia is dated but you like wall paper, as wall paper is considered very dated. clean plastered walls are what everyone wants nowadays. i am not a fan of wall paper but i like chipped paper, which I got slated for when i had planned to put this on a property so i realised it wasn't the right thing to do. it was just as well i asked!

i would not say that painting a room is a quick DIY job, i certainly could not do it, and it costs a fortune to employ someone else to do it. it is also extremely difficult to paint when there is furniture in the room and there is no where else to move them to.
I'm not a fan of wallpaper but I do think sometimes you need something to jazz a room up. My house being new is featureless. I've painted the living room a very pale green and covered one wall with old maps. It also means I don't need to be as precise as I would with wallpaper and there is a lot more to look at than some flowers or stuff. I didn't realise how much how much I used white with a hint of green until I noticed I'd used varying shades in a bedroom, the hallway, two bathrooms and the living room. I don't empty rooms before I decorate if it is only a quick paint job, I'm too lazy.
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell17 m ago

I'm not a fan of wallpaper but I do think sometimes you need something to …I'm not a fan of wallpaper but I do think sometimes you need something to jazz a room up. My house being new is featureless. I've painted the living room a very pale green and covered one wall with old maps. It also means I don't need to be as precise as I would with wallpaper and there is a lot more to look at than some flowers or stuff. I didn't realise how much how much I used white with a hint of green until I noticed I'd used varying shades in a bedroom, the hallway, two bathrooms and the living room. I don't empty rooms before I decorate if it is only a quick paint job, I'm too lazy.

i put mirrors, pictures and photos on walls so they are never bare.

i would only use wall paper on walls if the walls were already wall papered as often you would have to replaster if you strip the wall paper and don't replace them, which is costly.

i think it would be good to start a fad of painting on walls, like murals. maybe that will be my next thing to learn to do as i am looking for things to learn at the moment. i really loved those ceiling paintings in churches and cathedrals.
mutley14 m ago

i put mirrors, pictures and photos on walls so they are never bare.i would …i put mirrors, pictures and photos on walls so they are never bare.i would only use wall paper on walls if the walls were already wall papered as often you would have to replaster if you strip the wall paper and don't replace them, which is costly.i think it would be good to start a fad of painting on walls, like murals. maybe that will be my next thing to learn to do as i am looking for things to learn at the moment. i really loved those ceiling paintings in churches and cathedrals.

Like the cistine chapel? That would be beyond me. I've used wallpaper on walls where the plasterwork is not too brilliant. It is making a comeback but I hate doing it.
mutley142 m ago

it is interesting to hear that you think magnolia is dated but you like …it is interesting to hear that you think magnolia is dated but you like wall paper, as wall paper is considered very dated. clean plastered walls are what everyone wants nowadays. i am not a fan of wall paper but i like chipped paper, which I got slated for when i had planned to put this on a property so i realised it wasn't the right thing to do. it was just as well i asked!i would not say that painting a room is a quick DIY job, i certainly could not do it, and it costs a fortune to employ someone else to do it. it is also extremely difficult to paint when there is furniture in the room and there is no where else to move them to.

I have some painted rooms , but I have done them myself and also painted my sisters whole flat before she sold it a few years back. It's really not a tricky job, but I do always get the furniture moved to the middle of the room and cover with plastic sheeting prior to starting. Wallpaper has had an upsurgence of late, there is some interesting stuff around, our living room paper was imported from Italy , but it's all down to personal choice . Also you don't have to paper every wall , my daughters room has one pale lilac wall and three walls which are covered in paper which has very realistic palebirds on it. My only rule for wallpaper is don't go cheap as it tends to be harder work to put up and the finish doesn't tend to be as good. Also I only wallpaper when I'm alone in the house as I can't be doing with being interrupted in the middle of a tricky bit.

Also I guess if I was renting I'd expect it to be plain as there's no way a landlord could be expected to guess my preferences.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 16th Nov 2017
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 24 m ago

Like the cistine chapel? That would be beyond me. I've used wallpaper on …Like the cistine chapel? That would be beyond me. I've used wallpaper on walls where the plasterwork is not too brilliant. It is making a comeback but I hate doing it.

i really loved the murals on the cistine chapel ceiling, they were beautiful but it gave me a bad neck afterwards as i stared at it for so long. i would not be able to match that sort of artistic ability but i used to paint water colours as a hobby, just amateur stuff but given time and effort, i could paint a decent picture on to a wall.

i am surprised to hear that wall paper is making a come back as i think it is so old fashioned and always makes me laugh when i see the tv programs that were made years ago as the wall paper pattern looked dreadful.
mutley132 m ago

i really loved the murals on the cistine chapel ceiling, they were …i really loved the murals on the cistine chapel ceiling, they were beautiful but it gave me a bad neck afterwards as i stared at it for so long. i would not be able to match that sort of artistic ability but i used to paint water colours as a hobby, just amateur stuff but given time and effort, i could paint a decent picture on to a wall.i am surprised to hear that wall paper is making a come back as i think it is so old fashioned and always makes me laugh when i see the tv programs that were made years ago as the wall paper pattern looked dreadful.

My niece bought a housing recently. Obviously it had to look just like the show home. They have these odd feature walls decorated just like that but not the big flowery stuff. My sister just had her guest room done out but at £98 a roll not a snowball's chance in hell I would go to those lengths. I am hopeless at art. I couldn't do anything painting wise like that. I have great ideas but no talent. My mother turns 80 next week and I saw this fabulous cupcake creation which looked like a bouquet of flowers. I thought it would be lovely to make it. I found I could ice the cakes but putting the whole creation together was disastrous. If I tried a mural I fell it may turn out the same.
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell25 m ago

My niece bought a housing recently. Obviously it had to look just like the …My niece bought a housing recently. Obviously it had to look just like the show home. They have these odd feature walls decorated just like that but not the big flowery stuff. My sister just had her guest room done out but at £98 a roll not a snowball's chance in hell I would go to those lengths. I am hopeless at art. I couldn't do anything painting wise like that. I have great ideas but no talent. My mother turns 80 next week and I saw this fabulous cupcake creation which looked like a bouquet of flowers. I thought it would be lovely to make it. I found I could ice the cakes but putting the whole creation together was disastrous. If I tried a mural I fell it may turn out the same.

i love art and i used to be obsessed about painting. i used to have oil paintings covering the walls of my house and i used to visit art museums whenever i went on holiday to see the paintings. i used to spend days at the art museums, just staring at pictures. i found them mesmerising and relaxing.

my husband has no interest in art at all and so i have lost my enthusiasm for art somewhat but i can still appreciate art when i get the opportunity to enjoy it.

i can paint and draw a decent picture but if i had to make a cake then it would end up a disaster. painting and drawing are very different skills to cake decoration.
Original Poster
OllieSt8 m ago

I recently used Dulux Trade Diamond Matt in a kitchen refurb. I think …I recently used Dulux Trade Diamond Matt in a kitchen refurb. I think its fantastic. Wallpaper has it's place too Osborne & Little

what colour did you use for the trade diamond matt?
mutley14 m ago

what colour did you use for the trade diamond matt?

White. (I'm sure that is the only colour available) It's a very clean high white which is what I wanted. I'm definitely in the camp of high white with cool white lighting for kitchens. Easy to keep clean
mutley16 m ago

i love art and i used to be obsessed about painting. i used to have oil …i love art and i used to be obsessed about painting. i used to have oil paintings covering the walls of my house and i used to visit art museums whenever i went on holiday to see the paintings. i used to spend days at the art museums, just staring at pictures. i found them mesmerising and relaxing.my husband has no interest in art at all and so i have lost my enthusiasm for art somewhat but i can still appreciate art when i get the opportunity to enjoy it.i can paint and draw a decent picture but if i had to make a cake then it would end up a disaster. painting and drawing are very different skills to cake decoration.

I can't draw a stick man and I have the colour vision of a person with their eyes closed. Oh and the cupcakes didn't turn out that well either.
The 90s called - they want their magnolia paint back

Its a boring dated colour
Open plan downstairs in my house and all painted magnolia. Makes the room look very warm. I think it has a lot to do with the contents of the room rather than the colour of the walls. I have a very minimalist look and the magnolia stops it from looking cold. Also have a lot of natural light in all the rooms which helps. Don't think I would use it in small enclosed rooms though.
Antique Cream is my favourite paint colour. Nice and light, but not as stark as some 'white with a hint of...'
Edited by: "Pandamansays" 16th Nov 2017
Apparently, according MSN painting a house in ivory can add thousands to it's value.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions