Office security system

Posted 20th Dec 2022
Hi guys, We work in an office which recently had a break in. As a result, we are looking to install a security system, and I needed some advice. We have been given quotes for commercial CCTV systems with 8 cameras. None of them record into the cloud and are costing a few hundred pounds each plus installation.

I've seen the smart cameras (Ring/Google Nest/Eufy etc) and wondered if there is any reason we couldn't install that kind of a system instead? If we got wired ones (as no one can change the battery regularly), is there any reason they couldn't work just as well if not better? They'd certainly be cheaper, and should be more technologically advanced. And would avoid a clunky hard drive aswell, just recording on the cloud. The business would be happy to pay the subscription.

Thoughts appreciated!
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sucks being broken into

What's the point of the CCTV cameras?

Active monitoring, retrospective monitoring after the event or a deterrent (or a combination).

If it's active monitoring then a cloud or managed service makes the most sense, if it's retrospective monitoring then cloud or local is fine (just watch they don't find the recorder and take it) or dummy cameras for deterrent.

I personally wouldn't have a local recorder as it's just something else to manage, lose so that leaves cloud providers. Ring has business plans for commercial use, no idea how they differ cost wise. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks.

Point of cameras is to act as a deterrent, provide retrospective monitoring and proof for insurance purposes.

Any reason why these cameras can't be used for business premises?
Discussions
Top Merchants