Groups
    EXPIRED

Office Software under £20: Tesco moves into software market

Tesco is to launch a range of budget own-brand PC software, in a move that will pitch the grocery giant against the likes of Microsoft and Symantec.

Tesco said it would offer six packages, including office software, security systems and a photo editing tool.

Britain's biggest retailer said each title would cost less than £20, challenging what it described as the current "high" price of PC software.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stmnews.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

7 Comments

[SIZE=2]Thanks edi It'll be interesting to see how they compare to the others...[/SIZE]

Original Poster

Thanks Ray

Not sure which office software they would provide but anything less than £20 will be interesting.

Could be the start of affordable and decent software all round with a bit of luck ;-)

Chances are it will be a branded version of ]OpenOffice or its variants. can't imagine they will build an office suite from scratch themselves.

Yup I'm with you poppy10, I bet it's rebranded open source software

poppy10

Chances are it will be a branded version of ]OpenOffice or its variants. … Chances are it will be a branded version of ]OpenOffice or its variants. can't imagine they will build an office suite from scratch themselves.

My thoughts exactly, if it's anything else(such as some unknown software they've picked up) I wouldn't expect much.

John

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2]Actually, on reading the article it appears the office suite is in fact [/SIZE][/FONT]][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2]Ability Office[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2], a rather crappy bare-bones MS Office clone that doesn't seem to have been updated since 2004. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2]When the superior OpenOffice is available for free to download, or for a tiny charge on CD, I don't know why anyone would want to buy this. :geek: [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …86145
      2. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      3. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions