Expired

Official Nook Simple Touch owners thread

Found 30th Apr 2013
Due to the raft of clearance deals this morning I guess there'll be a lot of Hukkers with these, we should have a nice thread to go with them methinks.

-
--
Skip Nook setup wizard (don't need an account).

raviudeshi.com/201…ion
Community Updates
Misc
421 Comments
Original Poster
Deals:
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-e-reader-better-than-half-price-29-argos-1540448
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-29-99-sainsburys-stores-1540476
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-29-currys-1540516
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-asda-direct-29-like-argos-currys-free-delivery-1540586
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-new-32-95-ebay-argos-1540441
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-29-00-uk-nook-com-1540844
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-ereader-foyles-stock-for-free-delivery-collect-store-1540843
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-29-blackwell-s-plus-other-reductions-1540915
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-ereader-32-95-delivered-very-1540882
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-ereader-black-29-00-delivered-pcworld-order-now-available-03-05-1541216
hotukdeals.com/deals/john-lewis-barnes-noble-nook-simple-touch-2gb-29-free-2yr-warranty-1541303
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-e-reader-16-97-delivered-isme-marshall-ward-1545261
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-ereader-29-00-john-lewis-instore-1553366
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-e-reader-19-99-refurb-clearance-bargains-argos-stanley-1554200

Restocked:
hotukdeals.com/deals/sorry-another-nook-deal-29-asda-r-c-1545790
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-ereader-black-back-stock-29-asda-sainsburys-1548816
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-ereader-black-back-stock-29-00-2-years-warranty-john-lewis-online-1549618
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-29-99-back-stock-sainsbury-s-1549756
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-back-home-delivery-argos-29-1550160
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-back-stock-29-argos-1554796
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-back-stock-29-99-sainsbury-s-1553007
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-ereader-29-asda-1553567
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-back-stock-asda-direct-29-1554002
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-back-stock-sainsbury-s-29-99-click-collect-3-95-delivery-1556534
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-29-99-sainsburys-instore-1557992
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-29-00-back-stock-online-blackwell-s-plus-2-50-p-p-1558863
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-29-00-john-lewis-1558885
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-29-99-sainsburys-1559775
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-back-asda-for-29-online-1561898
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-e-reader-19-99-clearance-bargains-argos-walsall-instore-only-1562077
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-argos-online-29-1565713
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-back-stock-john-lewis-29-00-with-2yr-guarantee-1566164
hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-ereader-29-currys-1580354

Previous deals with lots of juicy info:
hotukdeals.com/dea…435
hotukdeals.com/dea…265
Edited by: "Rubisco" 15th Jun 2013
You just took the simple out of it
What drawbacks is there to the Nook reader?

I want to know before I make my final decision.
mboora

What drawbacks is there to the Nook reader?I want to know before I make … What drawbacks is there to the Nook reader?I want to know before I make my final decision.

You can't tell people you've got a Kindle (TM)...
It's not 100% clear if the Amazon Kindle app is available on a rooted Nook bought recently (1.2 or above software). But this is from my limited reading.

A tonne of info here on the benefits of this ereader and how to get the best out of it:
hotukdeals.com/dea…435

Tarquin8484

It's not 100% clear if the Amazon Kindle app is available on a rooted … It's not 100% clear if the Amazon Kindle app is available on a rooted Nook bought recently (1.2 or above software). But this is from my limited reading.

Yes you can, just need to side load an older version, just search for 'Amazon_Kindle_3.2.0.35-signed.apk' if that one doesn't work, try 'Kindle_3.0.1.70.apk'.
Edited by: "Guan" 30th Apr 2013
I'm going to be picking up my nook later on, but am confused about the instructions on both the links posted by Rubisco.

From what i've made out, I have downloader touchnooter, extracted the image file to micro sd not in a folder, now i pop the micro sd into the nook and away i go ?
Any recommendations on covers with a light for the Nook.
mboora

What drawbacks is there to the Nook reader?I want to know before I make … What drawbacks is there to the Nook reader?I want to know before I make my final decision.

They'll all be gone by then
Banned
no light. its cak.
Just reserved mine at PC world, Plan to root it when I get home then use it for reading while cooking etc or anywhere I don't want to carry my xoom.
For Manga fans, check out Mango reader for Android and BlackBerry:
leetsoft.net
Works great on the Nook, the only obvious drawback is the lack of colour on the Nook.
Banned
just got mine for £27.80 delivered from uk-nook after cashback so after a case for it if anyone has any recommendations (below £10)

cheers
ewwaxo

no light. its cak.

Worst comment today.
Hoping someone can write a simple how root and customise on this thread please.?

Thanks.
Edited by: "studentprince" 30th Apr 2013
Guan

A tonne of info here on the benefits of this ereader and how to get the … A tonne of info here on the benefits of this ereader and how to get the best out of it: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nook-simple-touch-45-nook-glowlight-68-ebook-readers-grade-a-new-with-12-month-warranty-1472435Yes you can, just need to side load an older version, just search for 'Amazon_Kindle_3.2.0.35-signed.apk' if that one doesn't work, try 'Kindle_3.0.1.70.apk'.

Really new to rooting etc, how do i do this is simple steps?
Anyone got any recommendations for a good light for the Nook?
Anyone upgrade their NST to 1.2.1 yet? Tried copying the update file to both of mine but on ejecting the device, the file gets removed?
Guess I will leave it over night and see if the update gets downloaded itself.
lori440

Really new to rooting etc, how do i do this is simple steps?

Have you had a look through the links I posted in my original thread?

Guan

This is the guide I used to root the … This is the guide I used to root the NST:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2040351Super Easy Video guide:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFZVpCSRpeI

It would be easier to help if you could let us know which bit you are stuck on.

/img]

OTBC

Anyone got any recommendations for a good light for the Nook?

[img]t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3FmzTLNDTgIFOBfA_fKrc96lHTSIl0q1jibKLOtlvalXN4F9Q[/img]

Edited by: "Bumpydog" 30th Apr 2013
John Lewis are now discounting too, according to yet another new Nook deal thread

I saw such a useful post on rooting from bftb earlier and I feel it needs bumping into this topic -

bftb

You can root it and then install Kindle apps from Goodle Play. Rooting is … You can root it and then install Kindle apps from Goodle Play. Rooting is fantastic and it becomes an Android Tablet. And it becomes phenomenal after rooting.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klJe79tgDx8&list=UUNvW5N_t9Umw8-KVBsNxFaw&index=29http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_r-_BxLKys&list=UUNvW5N_t9Umw8-KVBsNxFaw&index=27http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5tTNTT58A&list=UUNvW5N_t9Umw8-KVBsNxFaw&index=87http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOr-RJEpB0c&list=UUNvW5N_t9Umw8-KVBsNxFaw&index=85http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOvn-TzBGSs&list=UUNvW5N_t9Umw8-KVBsNxFaw&index=96http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFZVpCSRpeI&list=UUNvW5N_t9Umw8-KVBsNxFaw

As quotes are compressed, the links from that quote are:

youtube.com/wat…=87
youtube.com/wat…=85
youtube.com/watch?v=aOvn-TzBGSs&list=UU
NvW5N_t9Umw8-KVBsNxFaw&index=96

youtube.com/wat…Faw

Edited by: "Donna80" 10th May 2013
I bought one from Curry's most of the screen is unreadable, every now and then it will be perfect then three pages later half the letters are missing or extremely faded.

Probably got a dud
Banned
justAnother

I bought one from Curry's most of the screen is unreadable, every now and … I bought one from Curry's most of the screen is unreadable, every now and then it will be perfect then three pages later half the letters are missing or extremely faded.Probably got a dud

its faulty
I got mine from Currys yesterday.
The firmware version is 1.2.0, I follow the steps as shown on lifehacker.com/588…eps (as it says it is suitable for firmware 1.2.0 or below) using TouchNooter, and it failed! Further research says TouchNooter is only suitable for firmware below 1.2.0...
After 5 min panic I found how to factory reset it: Press power for 2 secs, wait 1 sec, press it for 15 secs, wait 2 secs, and start over, and over, for 8 times. (Or simply hold the power button for a minute or 2 until it turns on and off for 8 times)

Finally rooted with Nook Manager, detail steps followed here: babblingengineer.com/how…er/
All went ok this time. I went to sleep and leave the Nook on charger.

This morning I unplugged it at 8:30am, used it for less than an hour till now, and the battery has already drained down to 48%!! (It's is only 11:10am now)
I just researched a bit and found this thread on xda: forum.xda-developers.com/sho…665
Can anyone confirm if it is true?
I left wifi on and manually activate the screensaver by pressing power button at the back this morning.

Guys, I posted this on another Nook thread but think it's going to get lost under all the posts. Can anyone here help?

ublewit

Need help with the DRM thing please?I downloaded Calibre and Kindle for … Need help with the DRM thing please?I downloaded Calibre and Kindle for pc. I also downloaded the Calibre plug-in that someone linked to earlier in the thread. I installed the plug-in and Calibre seems to be working ok but I don't know if the DRM thing is working, there's nothing I can see to click on so does it do it automatically? So if a Kindle book downloaded from Amazon is able to be converted to an epub, does that mean the DRM thing has worked?Sorry if this is dead basic guys, it's all new to me, Maybe I should have got my kids to do it.

Edited by: "ublewit" 1st May 2013
Any case recommendations?
csiman

after a case for it if anyone has any recommendations (below £10)cheers

Navi-tech have some. Ordered a case from them before and whilst they are reliable supplier and the quality ok the fit wasn't quite right for my ereader........

Normally I'd suggest skindigital cases - they have a good reputation and the 2 I've had from them (Kobo and Sony) - both have been excellent quality and fit BUT they are out of stock atm.....
ublewit

Guys, I posted this on another Nook thread but think it's going to get … Guys, I posted this on another Nook thread but think it's going to get lost under all the posts. Can anyone here help?

Been a while since I tried it but the plug-in should work "seamlessly" so if its converted to epub then it should have worked.....
have tried myself to root to no avail, anyone live in the Norwich area that can help me?
justAnother

I bought one from Curry's most of the screen is unreadable, every now and … I bought one from Curry's most of the screen is unreadable, every now and then it will be perfect then three pages later half the letters are missing or extremely faded.Probably got a dud

Yup, definitely a dud.
If however, it's fine most of the time with the occasional rendering/refresh issue, you could try fast display mode.
youtube.com/wat…K5s
lori440

have tried myself to root to no avail, anyone live in the Norwich area … have tried myself to root to no avail, anyone live in the Norwich area that can help me?

Judging by your PM, sounds like you removed your SD card too soon. I remember having similar issues with my Nephews NST.
You'll need to do a factory reset, as Jeho said,
"Press power for 2 secs, wait 1 sec, press it for 15 secs, wait 2 secs, and start over, and over, for 8 times. (Or simply hold the power button for a minute or 2 until it turns on and off for 8 times)"

Which version do you have?
Which guide did you follow?
Also, try different MicroSD cards, I had issues with cheap unbranded ones.
Edited by: "Guan" 1st May 2013
gari189

Been a while since I tried it but the plug-in should work "seamlessly" so … Been a while since I tried it but the plug-in should work "seamlessly" so if its converted to epub then it should have worked.....

Thanks for replying. You've confirmed the reply on the other thread too.

I'm pleased (and surprised!) it all just worked. I was expecting it to be more complicated.
There must be a few hundred people with Nooks now
Woohoo, just picked up my two from Currys!

Currently charging, then on to rooting!
For those wondering where to get books below is a list of some sites......
Google Play - play.google.com/sto…oks
Sony ebooks - gb.readerstore.sony.com/
Kobo books - kobobooks.com/
smashwords - smashwords.com/
feedbooks - feedbooks.com/
WH Smiths - whsmith.co.uk/eBo…spx
Blackwells - blackwells.com
project gutenberg (for classics)......as well as Amazon (use Calibre to convert)

If the books are drm protected and it doesn't say whether its compatible with the nook buy a very cheap book first to check it can load on the Nook

To get started there is a 100 ebook classics zip file (unzipped provides 100 free classic books you can install) which you can download from here

goodereader.com/for…mat

Unzip the file, add the books to Calibre (Calibre is free software on the net that you can use to manage your book collection) or sideload directly and off you go

any good indexing sites for epub 'releases'?
joeho

I got mine from Currys yesterday.The firmware version is 1.2.0, I follow … I got mine from Currys yesterday.The firmware version is 1.2.0, I follow the steps as shown on http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps (as it says it is suitable for firmware 1.2.0 or below) using TouchNooter, and it failed! Further research says TouchNooter is only suitable for firmware below 1.2.0... After 5 min panic I found how to factory reset it: Press power for 2 secs, wait 1 sec, press it for 15 secs, wait 2 secs, and start over, and over, for 8 times. (Or simply hold the power button for a minute or 2 until it turns on and off for 8 times)Finally rooted with Nook Manager, detail steps followed here: http://www.babblingengineer.com/how-to/how-i-turned-my-nook-into-an-e-reader-monster/All went ok this time. I went to sleep and leave the Nook on charger.This morning I unplugged it at 8:30am, used it for less than an hour till now, and the battery has already drained down to 48%!! (It's is only 11:10am now)I just researched a bit and found this thread on xda: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1721665Can anyone confirm if it is true?I left wifi on and manually activate the screensaver by pressing power button at the back this morning.

I have rooted my Nook Simple Touch ok now. It has not dropped any battery since it slept after I rooted it at 2 hours ago
It seems the Nook Manager does not work very well with firmware version 1.2.0. So I just updated it to the latest 1.2.1 following the instruction on official website (direct link for update file is here).
Then used Nook Manager to root, and then the NTGAppsAttack to install Google Apps (including Android Market/Play Store), following the guidelines as shown on babblingengineer.com/how…er/
And it just works now
Edited by: "joeho" 15th May 2013
Thanks for the guide joeho, just tried this on mine, I have app store but no market ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants