OFSTED Trying to Kill Childhood Again

Found 30th Jan
Ofsted want to cut play for Reception class and force more formal lessons "because of the discontinuity between Reception and Year One" (paraphrased).

Rather than kill off what is left of their childhood, why not do what EVERY other country in Europe does, and give the poor kids MORE time to play; and make YEAR ONE a transition year, with fewer formal lessons and more play.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
Talk to any early years teacher and they'll most likely agree that children are very unprepared for the year or two after reception.
They need to get more structure in place to prep them for it.

More importantly, parents need to take responsibility and show an interest in their childs education; far too many parents see it as the schools job to raise their children.
Edited by: "teh.arn" 30th Jan
Do you realise the children in reception have education for only 40 mins for the whole day. Its same as a nursery so yea i would like to see 1 more hour spent on education in reception
59 Comments
Talk to any early years teacher and they'll most likely agree that children are very unprepared for the year or two after reception.
They need to get more structure in place to prep them for it.

More importantly, parents need to take responsibility and show an interest in their childs education; far too many parents see it as the schools job to raise their children.
Edited by: "teh.arn" 30th Jan
Soon children smiling or laughing will become an offence. Children go to school far too early, it's cruel. But it's essential that the freaks start their indoctrination process and brain washing as early as possible. You know where they tell you reality is exactly the opposite of what you actually experience and is the real truth, despite it being the most obvious rubbish ever. And your a stupid inbred tinfoil hat wearing outcast if you dare to disagree.

School/telly/newspaper/etc, your never out if their reach. Yeah there really is a zombie outbreak and it's the worse it's ever been.
Do you realise the children in reception have education for only 40 mins for the whole day. Its same as a nursery so yea i would like to see 1 more hour spent on education in reception
They can be children before, after school and at weekends. As someone said they actually only have 40 mins of education a day.
Start them off well and they will flourish educationally. Not a bad idea imo
It doesn't matter in the slightest.

Ask any teacher and they'll tell you that parents play the biggest role in any aspect of a child's development. Everyone here knows there are parents who are actively engaged in their kids education and there are those who simply don't bother.

Ofsted fiddling at the edges won't make a massive difference.
OFSTED rated a local school as “needing improvement” because they were focussing on the mental health of the students rather than putting 100% focus in results and formality. I wish OFSTED would focus on both issues rather than just one.
cowsindahouse6 h, 22 m ago

Soon children smiling or laughing will become an offence. Children go to …Soon children smiling or laughing will become an offence. Children go to school far too early, it's cruel. But it's essential that the freaks start their indoctrination process and brain washing as early as possible. You know where they tell you reality is exactly the opposite of what you actually experience and is the real truth, despite it being the most obvious rubbish ever. And your a stupid inbred tinfoil hat wearing outcast if you dare to disagree. School/telly/newspaper/etc, your never out if their reach. Yeah there really is a zombie outbreak and it's the worse it's ever been.

I heard they even teach them the world is not flat.
CoeK54 m ago

I heard they even teach them the world is not flat.

Yeah true, they teach something much much more insane!! The laughable heliocentric model for zombies and fools. I mean what idiot could possibly think they are zipping and shooting and spinning in every which way direction at millions and even billions of miles per hour. Talk about dumb, and the only proof is nasa cgi/ paintings and studio sets, which a 3 year old can see is fake... Neptunes liquid diamond core, uranus a methane gas planet, a gas planet in a infinite vacuum!!! LOL!!!.. all of it complete carp bscked by cgi, paintings and models. The dumbest generation ever!
cowsindahouse8 m ago

Yeah true, they teach something much much more insane!! The laughable …Yeah true, they teach something much much more insane!! The laughable heliocentric model for zombies and fools. I mean what idiot could possibly think they are zipping and shooting and spinning in every which way direction at millions and even billions of miles per hour. Talk about dumb, and the only proof is nasa cgi/ paintings and studio sets, which a 3 year old can see is fake... Neptunes liquid diamond core, uranus a methane gas planet, a gas planet in a infinite vacuum!!! LOL!!!.. all of it complete carp bscked by cgi, paintings and models. The dumbest generation ever!

I'm hoping for sarcasm.
Original Poster
teh.arn7 h, 56 m ago

Talk to any early years teacher and they'll most likely agree that …Talk to any early years teacher and they'll most likely agree that children are very unprepared for the year or two after reception.They need to get more structure in place to prep them for it.More importantly, parents need to take responsibility and show an interest in their childs education; far too many parents see it as the schools job to raise their children.

You are talking to a Early Years Professional (retired), and any real EYP will tell you the exact opposite. We already send our children to school far to early - EVERY study shows this, EVERY other country in Europe knows this, but OFSTED are determined to do the wrong thing (again).

Children at this age learn through PLAY, which is why Reception classes and Private Nurseries are all about PLAY; not aimless play, but structured, planned play, that teaches the children without them knowing they are being taught.

Yes, the step into Year One is wrong; Year One should have more Play and less sitting at desks.

OFTED would be chuting them them straight out of the birth canal and to a desk and chair if they could get away with it.
Our kids don't do as well as he Scandinavians and they start later.

Theres no point going on about parenting in a world where everyone is expected to work until they drop and the kids shoved into any breakfast and after school clubs available because money is more important
Good. I hope they start teaching them a foreign language. I wish I had started on a few that early.
What on earth is "Reception"?
Original Poster
Satan_Claws10 h, 26 m ago

What on earth is "Reception"?

My bad, I was typing with my 5 y/o vying for attention (as she is again right now).
Gentle_Giant13 m ago

My bad, I was typing with my 5 y/o vying for attention (as she is again …My bad, I was typing with my 5 y/o vying for attention (as she is again right now).

Sorry I wasn't commenting on spelling on anything, I genuinely have no idea what reception is (in the context of this thread).
Mind you I still have no idea what the years mean in school terms. In my day it was primary school years 1-4, then secondary school years 1-4, so I get confused when people say their kid is in year 11
Satan_Claws5 m ago

Sorry I wasn't commenting on spelling on anything, I genuinely have no …Sorry I wasn't commenting on spelling on anything, I genuinely have no idea what reception is (in the context of this thread).Mind you I still have no idea what the years mean in school terms. In my day it was primary school years 1-4, then secondary school years 1-4, so I get confused when people say their kid is in year 11

That's how it still works in Scotland, primary school is P1 to P7 and high school is year 1 to year 6.

These threads generally work along the lines of "I did badly at school and with my life afterward therefore it is done wrong" or "I did well in school and have lots of stuff to show for my efforts therefore it works fine the way it is". I'm not sure who is correct, maybe both sides are.
Kids go to our local school reception class and are still in nappies, so good luck teaching them anything other than play.

OFSTED has its own problems, recently they said another of our local schools had issues with learning because staff and governors couldn't answer questions on learning. What they didn't question was why the school had just lost its Chair and Vice Chair of Governors two weeks before. Reason they left was in protest of the Local Education Authority and not the school but they didn't even question what had happened. Two weeks later the school was second for exam results and learning in the council area league tables..
Gentle_Giant17 h, 4 m ago

You are talking to a Early Years Professional (retired), and any real EYP …You are talking to a Early Years Professional (retired), and any real EYP will tell you the exact opposite. We already send our children to school far to early - EVERY study shows this, EVERY other country in Europe knows this, but OFSTED are determined to do the wrong thing (again).Children at this age learn through PLAY, which is why Reception classes and Private Nurseries are all about PLAY; not aimless play, but structured, planned play, that teaches the children without them knowing they are being taught.Yes, the step into Year One is wrong; Year One should have more Play and less sitting at desks.OFTED would be chuting them them straight out of the birth canal and to a desk and chair if they could get away with it.

You're saying that early years teachers would tell you that reception are more than capable and prepared for years 1 & 2?
The schools are often playing catch-up because there's a lot of children who are simply miles behind the rest because of their parents.

The beauty of the 11+ is that it separates the wheat from the chaff. Maybe we need to look to do this earlier. Teachers know which parents are actively engaged in their kids development so let them make these choices.

Then eliminate all of the paperwork and lesson planning so you just let teachers teach. If they can't, then relegate them to teaching the kids of parents who don't bother to go through their kids spellings or send them to school with cold McDonald's for lunch.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals3 h, 1 m ago

The schools are often playing catch-up because there's a lot of children …The schools are often playing catch-up because there's a lot of children who are simply miles behind the rest because of their parents.The beauty of the 11+ is that it separates the wheat from the chaff. Maybe we need to look to do this earlier. Teachers know which parents are actively engaged in their kids development so let them make these choices.Then eliminate all of the paperwork and lesson planning so you just let teachers teach. If they can't, then relegate them to teaching the kids of parents who don't bother to go through their kids spellings or send them to school with cold McDonald's for lunch.

Or another problem is that a kid born in September is likely to be more advanced than a kid born in July.
teh.arn30th Jan

Talk to any early years teacher and they'll most likely agree that …Talk to any early years teacher and they'll most likely agree that children are very unprepared for the year or two after reception.They need to get more structure in place to prep them for it.More importantly, parents need to take responsibility and show an interest in their childs education; far too many parents see it as the schools job to raise their children.

Of course parents see others should educate their children more, and they should , why?

1. 1960, one parent worked , taxes paid for x amount of children education, most had taught own child with y level of personal effort (one parent equivalent stayed at home).

2. 2010, two parents worked, taxes paid is 2x amount (compared to 1.) for children education, so most expect, as they are paying 2x taxes, that the local education authority, doubles the effort and whence, a parent's y level of personal effort to educate own child is possibly reduced in both parents working in generating 2x taxes into the "pot". (Where has the money gone in the "pot"?!)
splender28 m ago

Of course parents see others should educate their children more, and they …Of course parents see others should educate their children more, and they should , why?1. 1960, one parent worked , taxes paid for x amount of children education, most had taught own child with y level of personal effort (one parent equivalent stayed at home).2. 2010, two parents worked, taxes paid is 2x amount (compared to 1.) for children education, so most expect, as they are paying 2x taxes, that the local education authority, doubles the effort and whence, a parent's y level of personal effort to educate own child is possibly reduced in both parents working in generating 2x taxes into the "pot". (Where has the money gone in the "pot"?!)

Baby Boomer generation is the answer - Arguably the worst generation.
teh.arn7 m ago

Baby Boomer generation is the answer - Arguably the worst generation.

Why the worst? It is not something that I know anything about, though I do know the baby boomer waves since 1946.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals4 h, 17 m ago

The schools are often playing catch-up because there's a lot of children …The schools are often playing catch-up because there's a lot of children who are simply miles behind the rest because of their parents.The beauty of the 11+ is that it separates the wheat from the chaff. Maybe we need to look to do this earlier. Teachers know which parents are actively engaged in their kids development so let them make these choices.Then eliminate all of the paperwork and lesson planning so you just let teachers teach. If they can't, then relegate them to teaching the kids of parents who don't bother to go through their kids spellings or send them to school with cold McDonald's for lunch.

What a load of tosh, "wheat and chaff", that's a cancer of a human thought, wasted with your lunch's calories of 10 Joules.
There is no wheat and chaff for any 11 year old and there is no human beauty with that "wheat and chaff" demeaning statement. Every child is worthwhile developing to his/her max. potential as successful individuals.
Edited by: "splender" 31st Jan
splender1 h, 6 m ago

What a load of tosh, "wheat and chaff", that's a cancer of a human …What a load of tosh, "wheat and chaff", that's a cancer of a human thought, wasted with your lunch's calories of 10 Joules.There is no wheat and chaff for any 11 year old and there is no human beauty with that "wheat and chaff" demeaning statement. Every child is worthwhile developing to his/her max. potential as successful individuals.

Chaff.
Suspended
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals22 m ago

Chaff.

Oh dear. Someone is triggered.

Hope you took that charity bet, @shadey12 . Priceless!!

33173295-NlPrT.jpg

*Hope this doesn't offend - just seems so deliciously apt.
Saturn57 m ago

Oh dear. Someone is triggered. Hope you took that charity bet, …Oh dear. Someone is triggered. Hope you took that charity bet, @shadey12 . Priceless!! [Image] *Hope this doesn't offend - just seems so deliciously apt.

I suppose one way of keeping your comment count down is to delete a few of your own threads, it also stops people pointing out obvious character traits.
Maybe some OPs threads should come with warning 'this thread can and will self delete if op is looking foolish'
Original Poster
teh.arn7 h, 32 m ago

You're saying that early years teachers would tell you that reception are …You're saying that early years teachers would tell you that reception are more than capable and prepared for years 1 & 2?

No, I am not. Go read what I said again; if you still dont understand, I will try to explain again.
Original Poster
Satan_Claws8 h, 49 m ago

Sorry I wasn't commenting on spelling on anything, I genuinely have no …Sorry I wasn't commenting on spelling on anything, I genuinely have no idea what reception is (in the context of this thread).Mind you I still have no idea what the years mean in school terms. In my day it was primary school years 1-4, then secondary school years 1-4, so I get confused when people say their kid is in year 11

"Reception" is the class that was added to schools in an attempt to shut down private Nursery Schools by OFSTED; originally for children at, or nearly Five, it has been used by many schools to pressurise parents into taking places for children as young as "nearly" three; who then stay there for two+ years, until they are old enough to enter Year One aged Six.

(More bums on seats means more money for the school).

Other attempts to shut down private nurseries in favour of school based baby factories is the carer to child ratio, for a private nursery, for Four y/o's, you have a ratio of 8:1 for a NVQ III qualified carer, unless there is an EY degree holder in the room, when it goes up to 13:1; this is strictly enforced by OFSTED, and being out of ratio is one of their favourite ways of shutting down a nursery school for the day.

For a school nursery or reception class four y/o, the ratio is 13:1 as long as there is an EY degree holder IN THE BUILDING (pause to reflect on how big school buildings can be, and how many classrooms they can contain), and the carer in the room requires NO qualifications beyond a Police check.
OFSTED dont appear to enforce this at all, and from dating one of the governors at a local Primary school, I know that the school in question was running a 21:1 ratio.
Gentle_Giant3 h, 49 m ago

No, I am not. Go read what I said again; if you still dont understand, I …No, I am not. Go read what I said again; if you still dont understand, I will try to explain again.

I'm literally just saying what you said.

You stated that they would say the opposite of "Talk to any early years teacher and they'll most likely agree that children are very unprepared for the year or two after reception".

The opposite of that is that Teachers would say that they're very prepared for the first year or two after reception. . . . . .
Gentle_Giant4 h, 39 m ago

"Reception" is the class that was added to schools in an attempt to shut …"Reception" is the class that was added to schools in an attempt to shut down private Nursery Schools by OFSTED; originally for children at, or nearly Five, it has been used by many schools to pressurise parents into taking places for children as young as "nearly" three; who then stay there for two+ years, until they are old enough to enter Year One aged Six.(More bums on seats means more money for the school).Other attempts to shut down private nurseries in favour of school based baby factories is the carer to child ratio, for a private nursery, for Four y/o's, you have a ratio of 8:1 for a NVQ III qualified carer, unless there is an EY degree holder in the room, when it goes up to 13:1; this is strictly enforced by OFSTED, and being out of ratio is one of their favourite ways of shutting down a nursery school for the day.For a school nursery or reception class four y/o, the ratio is 13:1 as long as there is an EY degree holder IN THE BUILDING (pause to reflect on how big school buildings can be, and how many classrooms they can contain), and the carer in the room requires NO qualifications beyond a Police check.OFSTED dont appear to enforce this at all, and from dating one of the governors at a local Primary school, I know that the school in question was running a 21:1 ratio.

Thank you. That clears it up for me! Seems like they are always trying to change the way schools work...rarely for the better.
Children learn through play. They need to understand how to be kind, polite and make friends and most importantly to be independent. Let them play in their early years and have fun before sitting them at a desk for hours on end!
Original Poster
teh.arn3 h, 6 m ago

I'm literally just saying what you said.You stated that they would say the …I'm literally just saying what you said.You stated that they would say the opposite of "Talk to any early years teacher and they'll most likely agree that children are very unprepared for the year or two after reception".The opposite of that is that Teachers would say that they're very prepared for the first year or two after reception. . . . . .

Sorry, I meant about the OFTED proposal; instead of sitting 3, 4&5 y/os down at a desk, they should be making Year One a transition stage - adding MORE play and less desk bound activities. THIS is what most competent EY practitioners will tell you.

At least, those who havent left in disgust over the last decade of OFSTED meddling..

Most of the newer crop dont have a "proper" degree; they will do whatever they are told to do, as indoctrination is how the EY degree is taught these days; dont question, just do what you are told to do.

Some of them are so limited in THEIR understanding of the world, it is impossible to understand how they can teach the subject; I had one new EYP ask me if Apple Crumble was vegetarian!!!
Gentle_Giant8 h, 59 m ago

Sorry, I meant about the OFTED proposal; instead of sitting 3, 4&5 y/os …Sorry, I meant about the OFTED proposal; instead of sitting 3, 4&5 y/os down at a desk, they should be making Year One a transition stage - adding MORE play and less desk bound activities. THIS is what most competent EY practitioners will tell you.At least, those who havent left in disgust over the last decade of OFSTED meddling..Most of the newer crop dont have a "proper" degree; they will do whatever they are told to do, as indoctrination is how the EY degree is taught these days; dont question, just do what you are told to do.Some of them are so limited in THEIR understanding of the world, it is impossible to understand how they can teach the subject; I had one new EYP ask me if Apple Crumble was vegetarian!!!

They probably meant vegan...
shadey1216 h, 46 m ago

I suppose one way of keeping your comment count down is to delete a few of …I suppose one way of keeping your comment count down is to delete a few of your own threads, it also stops people pointing out obvious character traits.Maybe some OPs threads should come with warning 'this thread can and will self delete if op is looking foolish'

Tell you what, we'll have a bet. If I deleted that thread and the mods confirm it then I'll delete my account. If you're wrong in your assumption about me and I didn't, then you delete yours.

Here's the thing about people like you. You're predictable. You won't take this bet because you'll happily talk about something without having the courage of your convictions.

So you'll evade this and not take up the bet because that's the type of 'men' you and your friend are.
oskito11 h, 5 m ago

Children learn through play. They need to understand how to be kind, …Children learn through play. They need to understand how to be kind, polite and make friends and most importantly to be independent. Let them play in their early years and have fun before sitting them at a desk for hours on end!

So many of these social skills are developed before school starts though. They come from the parents being actively engaged in their children's lives and making sure they interact well with other children in the first year.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals16 m ago

Tell you what, we'll have a bet. If I deleted that thread and the mods …Tell you what, we'll have a bet. If I deleted that thread and the mods confirm it then I'll delete my account. If you're wrong in your assumption about me and I didn't, then you delete yours.Here's the thing about people like you. You're predictable. You won't take this bet because you'll happily talk about something without having the courage of your convictions.So you'll evade this and not take up the bet because that's the type of 'men' you and your friend are. So many of these social skills are developed before school starts though. They come from the parents being actively engaged in their children's lives and making sure they interact well with other children in the first year.

Give over and grow up, what next? ' I'll compare my LinkedIn account to yours to see who's better'
I don't have to prove anything to you heawd, you manage look the way you do all by yourself.

Just to add, everyone who's been on here long enough knows you manipulate everything and delete your threads and posts, end of story.
Have a constructive and usefully day, try helping someone for a change.
Original Poster
CoeK30 m ago

They probably meant vegan...

Perhaps, however we had no Vegan children in our care at the time, not any Veggies. ( I used to keep a list in the kitchen).

I would casually mention something important relating to children that was mentioned on the news that morning, and get a blank, cow-chewing-cud look in return; along with "I dont watch the news"; nor read or listen as far as I could tell.

Dumber than a box of frogs.
shadey1233 m ago

Give over and grow up, what next? ' I'll compare my LinkedIn account to …Give over and grow up, what next? ' I'll compare my LinkedIn account to yours to see who's better'I don't have to prove anything to you heawd, you manage look the way you do all by yourself.Just to add, everyone who's been on here long enough knows you manipulate everything and delete your threads and posts, end of story.Have a constructive and usefully day, try helping someone for a change.

Like I said.

Predictable.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals58 m ago

Tell you what, we'll have a bet. If I deleted that thread and the mods …Tell you what, we'll have a bet. If I deleted that thread and the mods confirm it then I'll delete my account. If you're wrong in your assumption about me and I didn't, then you delete yours.

There was another member here who always used to say that. Can't remember his name, I think it was Chinese-sounding name. Possibly Elvis Ching, Chang - something along those lines.

He never did leave though, he ended up getting banned, presumably because they got fed up of him continually insulting and provoking other members.
deeky6 m ago

There was another member here who always used to say that. Can't remember …There was another member here who always used to say that. Can't remember his name, I think it was Chinese-sounding name. Possibly Elvis Ching, Chang - something along those lines. He never did leave though, he ended up getting banned, presumably because they got fed up of him continually insulting and provoking other members.

Did he do giveaways to make internet friends?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions