Groups

OH is after an xbox 360.... help! lol

Ok, I read a few things about the new Jasper ones, how do I know if I'm getting one, and is that the ones to try and get?

Any good deals about on them?

Thanks muchly

22 Comments

Our resident xbox 360 expert is DudeyGeeza - he will know! hotukdeals.com/for…392

got a 360 HD DVD player for sale

easiest way is to ask at counter that you want to take a look at the xbox box, and on the side of the box there will be a rectangular space which lets you see the xbox, on there look for 12.1a and that should guarantee you a jasper

Liddle ol' me;4360254

Our resident xbox 360 expert is DudeyGeeza - he will know! … Our resident xbox 360 expert is DudeyGeeza - he will know! http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/member.php?u=80392

I am honoured!

Externally (without opening the box) the only true way is to check the big label on the side and it should say 150w

There are other things on there like the lot number but though most say ones with an X at the end designates a Jasper, this is simply not true, 3 of the 0843X ones i have had have not had Jaspers inside.

You are allowed to view the item you are buying in any shop, do not feel bad for asking them to get a few for you to check.

blineboy;4360269

easiest way is to ask at counter that you want to take a look at the xbox … easiest way is to ask at counter that you want to take a look at the xbox box, and on the side of the box there will be a rectangular space which lets you see the xbox, on there look for 12.1a and that should guarantee you a jasper

The rectangular hole should be covered and not popped out if it is a new one and one that nobody has checked. not sure if a shop would like it if you popped it out in front of them.

lol

but yes, through that hole, with a little bit of wiggling you should see the serial number label along with the date of manufacture (MFR date), if the MFR date is newer than October 08, (to be safe) it will be a Jasper:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Ah right, thanks for that info.

Don't supose you know anywhere that has good deals on them at the mo?

Whats so special about these Jaspers?

Original Poster

Abvance;4360544

Whats so special about these Jaspers?

From what I gather they greatly reduce the chance of RROD, maybe there's more to it though, I just know everywhere I look, people say go for a Jasper lol

TBH it's all academic now. Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty on this particular error (3 red light, or RRoD) and there's no proof as yet that the Jaspers will be any less susceptable to it than the Falcons. You'll be ok with whatever one you get as long as it's bought new.

iirc jaspers use a lower wattage psu, which means the 360 runs at a lower temp.

now I could have dreamt the above fact, so don't take it as gospil... I also heard it was only arcades that have a jasper board, or the jasper board is more commenly found on them

Xb0xGuru;4360653

TBH it's all academic now. Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty on this … TBH it's all academic now. Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty on this particular error (3 red light, or RRoD) and there's no proof as yet that the Jaspers will be any less susceptable to it than the Falcons. You'll be ok with whatever one you get as long as it's bought new.

e74's seem to be the 360's new killer recently :w00t:

Xb0xGuru;4360653

TBH it's all academic now. Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty on this … TBH it's all academic now. Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty on this particular error (3 red light, or RRoD) and there's no proof as yet that the Jaspers will be any less susceptable to it than the Falcons. You'll be ok with whatever one you get as long as it's bought new.

definatly second that!

the only adavantage with jaspers is the onboard memory, instead of a memory stick, and though in my experience this is not the case, but people say that as they are cooler, the fans stay quieter.. that may be true if they stuck to using the quieter Nidec branded ones and not noisey DELTA ones!!

fwibble;4360668

iirc jaspers use a lower wattage psu, which means the 360 runs at a lower … iirc jaspers use a lower wattage psu, which means the 360 runs at a lower temp.now I could have dreamt the above fact, so don't take it as gospil... I also heard it was only arcades that have a jasper board, or the jasper board is more commenly found on them

Yep, the Jaspers run at 150w. You may get a PSU rated higher with it, but it will only draw the current it needs.

The Jasper is in the Pro as well as the Arcade, but they have different TSOPs. The Arcade Jasper no longer ships with an external 256MB MU as they've changed the 16MB NAND to 256MB and use this instead (something else to look for on the packaging - '256MB Internal memory').

The Pro's strangely still use the standard 16MB NAND.

fwibble;4360676

e74's seem to be the 360's new killer recently :w00t:

yeah definatly dude, they made a cooler 60nm processor but the problem has always been the hot 90nm graphics card that has a silly small heatsink and gets no airflow being under the dvd drive!!

now the jaspers have a cooler graphics card, e74's should become a thing of the past...

DudeyGeeza;4360700

definatly second that!the only adavantage with jaspers is the onboard … definatly second that!the only adavantage with jaspers is the onboard memory, instead of a memory stick, and though in my experience this is not the case, but people say that as they are cooler, the fans stay quieter.. that may be true if they stuck to using the quieter Nidec branded ones and not noisey DELTA ones!!

I actually prefer the external MU as I have a number of 360s which is far easier to move my gamertag from one to the other!!

Xb0xGuru;4360712

Yep, the Jaspers run at 150w. You may get a PSU rated higher with it, but … Yep, the Jaspers run at 150w. You may get a PSU rated higher with it, but it will only draw the current it needs.The Jasper is in the Pro as well as the Arcade, but they have different TSOPs. The Arcade Jasper no longer ships with an external 256MB MU as they've changed the 16MB NAND to 256MB and use this instead (something else to look for on the packaging - '256MB Internal memory').The Pro's strangely still use the standard 16MB NAND.

hmmm, not sure on that one though dude, jasper boards have the 256mb memory onboard, so if it doesnt have this, it's not a jasper regardless of what the box says.... unless i suppose it was shipped with a 150w psu and doesnt have 256mb onboard memory, but that would constitute as a different motherboard, and im sure they wouldnt do that...

DudeyGeeza;4360739

hmmm, not sure on that one though dude, jasper boards have the 256mb … hmmm, not sure on that one though dude, jasper boards have the 256mb memory onboard, so if it doesnt have this, it's not a jasper regardless of what the box says.... unless i suppose it was shipped with a 150w psu and doesnt have 256mb onboard memory, but that would constitute as a different motherboard, and im sure they wouldnt do that...

The 360 Pro Jaspers only have the 16MB NAND:

xbox-scene.com/xbo…php

Therefore it's perfectly feasible (unless you've bought an Arcade) to have a 150W PSU and no onboard memory available for game saves etc.

I thought the Jasper Arcades had the specification on the box stating "internal 256MB memory" but I guess I was mistaken.

So essentially as the arcade doesnt have a hard drive they stick 256mb internal in there, but to save them money they have used the same board just with a 16mb nand chip for those going in elites and pro's as they come with a hard drive....

Save them money running two productions?? Actually, thinking about it, there are various "TEAMS" of 360 manufacturers around the world so maybe they get one team to make the arcades with onbord on their line and other teams get the pro/elite boards which would be the exact same board, just with a 16mb nand.

sorted!

DudeyGeeza;4360909

So essentially as the arcade doesnt have a hard drive they stick 256mb … So essentially as the arcade doesnt have a hard drive they stick 256mb internal in there, but to save them money they have used the same board just with a 16mb nand chip for those going in elites and pro's as they come with a hard drive....

Spot on :thumbsup:

It's already been said elsewhere, but it's a shame that they didn't just dump a 512MB TSOP in there - the difference in cost per unit would have been pennies AND still saving on the difference between internal and external MU.

It's also broken the mould of the 360, in that it's the first release of 360 where (aside from the chrome bezel / eject button) the internals are different from the Arcade and Pro.

Original Poster

so he needs a jasper then? lol

ChipSticks;4361014

so he needs a jasper then? lol

Like I/we said, it's irrelevent. Microsoft's warranty covers the most popular error so it's really a case of buying a new one.

any one seen any decent offers on one? ive tried wh smiths but sold out in leicester
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …155375
      2. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1319
      3. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2734
      4. Any PS4 News Here29213641

See more discussions