Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Oil Boiler lockout advice (removal of coil)

Posted 9th Mar
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help please. we get our boiler serviced every year and are fairly remote-the engineers have not had time to get to us so looking at myself in meantime and think I am on right track. full story we ran out of oil (stupid yes but alot going on), waited to get oil, got oil,left to settle,fired boiler but locked out, I bled boiler and got it going. worked for 5 days or so then locked out. after resetting it ran for 10 to 15 mins then locked. it's been like that over weekend and after not getting engineer I've opened up the fuel pump and cleaned what was in filter (minuscule and wasnt blocked), bled again and fired it up but this time it stayed on for around 1 hour then locked out. i now believe it is the coil as I believe these are prone to fail on danfoss units. I am no electrician so may have tested wrongly but I seem to get out of range when testing resistance of solenoid. multimeter appears to be working correctly by touching pins together. my takeaway from that is that the solenoid is broken and currently indicating a break in the coil (I'm presuming cold resets it and heat then expands and breaks it causing fuel to be cutoff). pictures attached. can any
one confirm my ramblings? my last problem is simply a case of how to remove it!..I think I can remove one half of the control box above it by pressing in and pulling to right but the coil seems to sit below part of the left hand portion. I'm unsure how to go about this and dont want to mess with anything. fairly mechanically minded so would love if someone could give me a pointer! thanks everyone.
3419917-KHI0c.jpg3419917-f4Pss.jpg3419917-EAS6f.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
If you can get a 4mm Allen key into the 3 grub screws that hold the pump onto the motor and slacken them the pump will pull out (first one is top left behind pump, indentation on motor body) . You probably then have enough wiggle room to remove the coil circular 'nut'. If it needs pulling out completely disconnect thin copper oil pipe.

Be careful refitting as you have to line up motor to pump with plastic coupler.
On seconds thoughts, remove control box as you said, then loosen pump lugs and rotate it whilst still connected to give enough to remove coil.

The pump can be awkward to refit so if you can just spin it slightly it will be easier.
themorgatron09/03/2020 21:51

If you can get a 4mm Allen key into the 3 grub screws that hold the pump …If you can get a 4mm Allen key into the 3 grub screws that hold the pump onto the motor and slacken them the pump will pull out (first one is top left behind pump, indentation on motor body) . You probably then have enough wiggle room to remove the coil circular 'nut'. If it needs pulling out completely disconnect thin copper oil pipe.Be careful refitting as you have to line up motor to pump with plastic coupler.

Thanks very much! That is unfortunately looking ridiculously hard or at least would be a nightmare to get back together with the space available..do you know if the ignition/control box can be lifted?(cant see how they are attached!) If not I think I'll wait for the pros! Thanks again @themorgatron
themorgatron09/03/2020 22:12

On seconds thoughts, remove control box as you said, then loosen pump lugs …On seconds thoughts, remove control box as you said, then loosen pump lugs and rotate it whilst still connected to give enough to remove coil.The pump can be awkward to refit so if you can just spin it slightly it will be easier.

That's what I'm hoping for, finding it hard to remove control box...looks like I need to press in metal pins and pull but dont have that neat wee tool!
colinged09/03/2020 22:13

Thanks very much! That is unfortunately looking ridiculously hard or at …Thanks very much! That is unfortunately looking ridiculously hard or at least would be a nightmare to get back together with the space available..do you know if the ignition/control box can be lifted?(cant see how they are attached!) If not I think I'll wait for the pros! Thanks again @themorgatron

Yes, control box just needs pressing, or screwdriver slotted down both ends whilst being pulled out. You may even find you can then just pull the pump hard and it will rotate to 1 o clock giving you the room.
if you haven't tried yet, you might want to set the multimeter to the 2k ohm range - a reading of 1 could indicate you are overloading the 200 ohm range
Still none the wiser after removing control box cover, if I remove that hexagonal bolt will that the slide out like you say?
40076091-4pZsu.jpg
Edited by: "colinged" 9th Mar
fteman109/03/2020 22:25

if you haven't tried yet, you might want to set the multimeter to the 2k …if you haven't tried yet, you might want to set the multimeter to the 2k ohm range - a reading of 1 could indicate you are overloading the 200 ohm range

Thanks I need all the help I can get with it!..still shows 1 at 2k range @fteman1 thanks
Thanks for your help @themorgatron I think the best way after seeing the control box and how it is attached is to remove the lines and unscrew the 3 screws you mentioned and pull straight out. Thanks again!
colinged09/03/2020 22:53

Thanks for your help @themorgatron I think the best way after seeing the …Thanks for your help @themorgatron I think the best way after seeing the control box and how it is attached is to remove the lines and unscrew the 3 screws you mentioned and pull straight out. Thanks again!

Try just rotating pump once you've slackened the grub screws and disconnected the copper line (no need to switch off the oil). The pump is awkward to push back on correctly, and the plastic drive coupling can sometimes break.

The burner will pull out if your remove the large brass hexagonal nut.
themorgatron10/03/2020 06:10

Try just rotating pump once you've slackened the grub screws and …Try just rotating pump once you've slackened the grub screws and disconnected the copper line (no need to switch off the oil). The pump is awkward to push back on correctly, and the plastic drive coupling can sometimes break.The burner will pull out if your remove the large brass hexagonal nut.

Superstar @themorgatron thanks for all your extremely helpful advice! Really handy to know the ins and outs and how it all fits together (was scared of moving stuff the wrong way! ) have a great day you legend!
Is there a filter at the tank itself, there usually is.
What can happen is that as you run the tank low the filter gets clogged with all the debris sat at the bottom of the tank.

With fresh fuel added, system will run for a while but with reduced flow due to the blocked filter and gets worse until there is insufficient fuel to sustain a burn.
andymagic10/03/2020 10:06

Is there a filter at the tank itself, there usually is.What can happen is …Is there a filter at the tank itself, there usually is.What can happen is that as you run the tank low the filter gets clogged with all the debris sat at the bottom of the tank.With fresh fuel added, system will run for a while but with reduced flow due to the blocked filter and gets worse until there is insufficient fuel to sustain a burn.

^^^
This, I've had our oil line from the tank to the boiler completely block before, I had to disconnect at both ends and then managed to attach a footpump to one end and pump all the gunge through, it's been fine ever since.
Dyslexic_Dog10/03/2020 10:09

^^^This, I've had our oil line from the tank to the boiler completely …^^^This, I've had our oil line from the tank to the boiler completely block before, I had to disconnect at both ends and then managed to attach a footpump to one end and pump all the gunge through, it's been fine ever since.

Our oil line had a leak, took me ages to find it - previous owner had plastered over a dodgy compression union hidden in the wall itself.
Older properties will have had a steel tank at some point and they would slowly rust internally filling filters and lines with silt, tanks were usually swapped for plastic versions, but the original silty lines left in place.
Thanks @Dyslexic_Dog@andymagic theres a number of things I need to sort (previous owner put the tank on chuckies and it has sunk!) The timing was coincidental as initially thought filter or blockage but leaned away from that when it ran for 5 days...testing of solenoid and replacement has resolved. Thanks!
colinged10/03/2020 10:24

Thanks @Dyslexic_Dog @andymagic theres a number of things I need to sort …Thanks @Dyslexic_Dog @andymagic theres a number of things I need to sort (previous owner put the tank on chuckies and it has sunk!) The timing was coincidental as initially thought filter or blockage but leaned away from that when it ran for 5 days...testing of solenoid and replacement has resolved. Thanks!

No worries, glad you got it sorted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants