Oil filled radiator

Posted 5th NovEdited by:"Quicklite"
Good evening people,
Quick question if that's okay. Just wanted to ask about radiator.
Bought a 2500W VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator about 3 weeks ago. It has stopped working today unfortunately - hence wanting to look for another brand.

Would I be correct in thinking - that the heat output of these oil radiators, at a given power rating (e.g. 2.5kg) are somewhat comparable? Or are some designs more efficient through maximising the surface area of the fins / thus more efficient for a large room? (or is that overthinking?)

(e.g. Have looked at a DeLonghi one. It seems the fin design may be better - has 10 years warranty; though also is 2x the cost; regardless of the fin design - it wouldn't be 2x efficient in spreading the heat, correct? As in if it says 25% more fin surface area than the previous gen - that's only marketing speak, correct?).

What stopped working:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…3E/

What I'm looking at:
amazon.co.uk/DeL…076
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
All electric oil filled radiators are identical in efficiency. 2.5kw for £30 will do the identical job as the 2.5kw for £130.

You pay for prettiness and glossy brochures in this sector.

Just replace it with the same or cheaper.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 5th Nov
Sometimes a simple email will result in getting a replacement item you just have to send picture or short video of it not working.
A greater surface area will likely emit the heat faster to the space to be heated, but there is no difference in efficiency (x watts of power in = x watts of heat out, just possibly spread over a different initial timeframe). The different surface areas may have a minor effect on hysteresis once the stat temperature is reached but again it will not impact on efficiency.
Before being swayed by an xx-year guarantee, identify the terms eg. method and funding for delivery to service centre and same for a return to customer.
I can highly recommend the De'Longhi Dragon 4 2KW radiator. It’s been as low as £60 recently, maybe wait for black Friday and see what happens.

We’ve just had a conservatory re-built and ours is currently helping drying out plaster and a concrete floor, even on its lowest setting (1 of 3) its keeping the temp above 14*c (outside currently 6/7*c)
I have been using oil filled radiators for the past 11 years.

I currently have 3 delonghis.
In the past, I have tried other brands and from what I have experienced, there is absolutely no way other cheaper brands can match up to the quality of the delonghi oil filled heaters.

I will post two pictures shortly.

10 years ago when I didn't know any better, I bought two brand new at £60 each.
After that I got wiser and have bought them used from gumtree, ebay and shpock for myself, family and friends never paying more than £20. Never had any issues at all.
Delonghi dragon 2. Bought for £10 around 6 years ago. Still going strong. Gets the room warm quickly and keeps it warm.

38913357-L4ryn.jpg
38913357-2LnQ1.jpg
38913357-eQKHD.jpg
Delonghi. Bought 11 years ago for £60. Still going strong. Not as powerful as the dragon 2 (that one's 2000w this one's 1500w) but powerful enough.

38913362-RvPnz.jpg
38913362-WjLhI.jpg
38913362-z0Rph.jpg
AndyRoyd05/11/2019 22:53

A greater surface area will likely emit the heat faster to the space to be …A greater surface area will likely emit the heat faster to the space to be heated, but there is no difference in efficiency (x watts of power in = x watts of heat out, just possibly spread over a different initial timeframe). The different surface areas may have a minor effect on hysteresis once the stat temperature is reached but again it will not impact on efficiency.Before being swayed by an xx-year guarantee, identify the terms eg. method and funding for delivery to service centre and same for a return to customer.

A bigger surface area will also cool more quickly so overall no advantage based on surface area. Quick heat = quick cool.
cmdr_elito06/11/2019 06:50

A bigger surface area will also cool more quickly so overall no advantage …A bigger surface area will also cool more quickly so overall no advantage based on surface area. Quick heat = quick cool.

Most peeps would probably regard the space reaching the required temperature more quickly as an advantage.
AndyRoyd06/11/2019 10:05

Most peeps would probably regard the space reaching the required …Most peeps would probably regard the space reaching the required temperature more quickly as an advantage.

Yes but many people go for oil filled due to it staying hot for a while after turning off.
cmdr_elito06/11/2019 13:20

Yes but many people go for oil filled due to it staying hot for a while …Yes but many people go for oil filled due to it staying hot for a while after turning off.

Only the absolute cheapest base models tend not to have timers.
VonHaus is a pile them high, make anywhere in Far East for a price/quality, some dodgey, some good.

For oil-filled radiators best brands for medium budget folks: De'Longhi, Dimplex

Consider also oil free from Dimplex, heats up very quick, so, depends on how you want to use a room.
You asked, "Would I be correct in thinking - that the heat output of these oil radiators, at a given power rating (e.g. 2.5kg) are somewhat comparable? Or are some designs more efficient through maximising the surface area of the fins / thus more efficient for a large room? (or is that overthinking?)"

There are many efficiencies at play here. One has to be specific as to which efficiency and its matching cause and effect.

1. In terms of electricity energy in, which then turns to heat, this efficiency is always ~100%. This fact of telling and knowning ~100% efficiency helps nothing in making a consumer choice.

2. The more useful parameter to use in making a consumer choice is the rate of heat transfer efficiency, namely the fin design and its surface area, this is the heat transfer rate into the room using various means, convection, radiation (conduction is less important here). This rate depends on the surface area design and the time (the thermostat controls on and off periods in any given hour in maintaning a steady state time). Therefore the fin design and size are important consumer choices for speed of response reason. Generally speaking, the importance of large fin surface area increases as the need to transfer heat more rapidly into the room increases, e.g. drafty area, getting ready to go to work, bathroom.

(BTW, Dimplex sells both oil-filled and oil-free radiators, they claim the oil-free saves 9% energy.)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants