Oil Filled Radiator vs Gas Central Heating

Found 24th Jan 2013
Good Afternoon Guys,

Just looking for members views / if they can help with this scenario –

I recently bought an oil filled electric radiator for abit of extra heat in some rooms of our house, its portable so useful in the fact it can just be moved from room to room. Also I have to say it kicks out some pretty good heat and you do feel the benefit.

I’m aware they aren’t the cheapest thing to run – but id like to know,

If you intend on just being in one room only (lets say you get home after work at 5pm and intend to stay in your living room most of the night til 10pm), would it be CHEAPER to not have the Gas Central Heating on (as you are technically warming up other rooms you wont be in) and just run the electric oil filled radiator instead in the room you are in???

I appreciate there will be some way of calculating the equation but I have no idea where to start – for the record the oil filled radiator purchased is a 1500w .
Thanks

12 Comments

Yes it will be cheaper.

If you are already using the boiler for hot water and you leave it on, it may not make much of a difference to only heat the areas of the house you are using with the central heating radiators. Can you not switch off those you dont need.

Banned

jeez thats what TRVs were invented for

Banned

If you could use your TRVs efficiently, and only heated the room you were in using gas heating you will find that it would be cheaper. COZ GAS IS CHEAPER THAN ELECTRICITY !

Banned

Turn the radiators you're no using off...........

Epic

/thread

Banned

As for your equation - theres no magic to it .

You will need the same amount of energy to heat the room.

Banned

If you were super tech - you could get wireless TRVs and automate the whole thing.

Banned

ewwaxo

If you were super tech - you could get wireless TRVs and automate the … If you were super tech - you could get wireless TRVs and automate the whole thing.

Lulz. You obviously don't know the OP

Banned

dimebars

Lulz. You obviously don't know the OP

Ah that £45 Oil Filled Radiator.

wear a hat, scarf, gloves, thermal undies while you're indoors & put old newspaper under your clothes so you rustle when you walk around...austerity central heating

Banned

ewwaxo

As for your equation - theres no magic to it .You will need the same … As for your equation - theres no magic to it .You will need the same amount of energy to heat the room.

But with gas you waste an awful lot with the pipe run

Banned

squillion

But with gas you waste an awful lot with the pipe run

tis true.

You know what then in the end it probably wouldn't make the slightest difference.

Though he did waste £45 on an oil filled radiator - and is now trying to justify that cost.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions