Oil for Oak Doors

Found 23rd Sep 2017
I got some oak doors was told by seller to use Pine Oil on them ... I've typed in pine oil but cannot for the life of me find it on internet ...

I found something called Osmo oil and Danish oil

What I want to know do these actually change to colour of the doors? Or is it for protection? Do they make a shine? Or just protect them?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

When i have oak doors to wax i always use Osmo Polyx hardwax oil its excellent stuff, Whatever you put on bare oak it will always change the colour slightly it will make it darker, the finish is up to you you can get it in matt finish so not shiny or satin finish which will have a slight shine.

Its not cheap but its the best imo for bare oak door.

It's not this sort of thing is it?

We use the antique pine varient on our dining table

Briwax

Original Poster

tje197821 h, 3 m ago

When i have oak doors to wax i always use Osmo Polyx hardwax oil its …When i have oak doors to wax i always use Osmo Polyx hardwax oil its excellent stuff, Whatever you put on bare oak it will always change the colour slightly it will make it darker, the finish is up to you you can get it in matt finish so not shiny or satin finish which will have a slight shine.Its not cheap but its the best imo for bare oak door.

thanks do you have to oil the doors every so often or is it a case of once and then a few years later?

I have an oak table and just use generic furniture oil once a year or so. Use it on my outdoor table too. Apply with a rag and leave a day between coats for it to dry or it gets sticky!

krazyasif7861 h, 55 m ago

thanks do you have to oil the doors every so often or is it a case of once …thanks do you have to oil the doors every so often or is it a case of once and then a few years later?

They will need 2 coats to start but after that you will be good for at least 2-3 years then all they will need is light sand then 1 coat and repeat every 2-3 years.

Give them one coat when they are dry give them a light sand down then apply second coat job done.
Edited by: "tje1978" 24th Sep 2017

Polyx was recommended to me and my oak wood doors still look good after two years: osmouk.com/sit…cfm

P.s I have not need to re-oil them at all.
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 25th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions