Expired

Oil in coolant scam

Found 15th Mar
i bought a car on hp through motonova. after a year i decided to sell the car, i advertised it on gumtree making it clear that it was on finance. i had 4 men come over to take the car they were an intimidating bunch anyway they viewed the car took a test drive and blue smoke came out the exhaust. one of them showed me the coolant tank and said that the oil had gone into the coolant and that the head gasket is gone, which would've cost me too much to fix. he offered me half the price and me being gullible accepted. he filled out the trader section signed it gave it 9 off. i clicked on too late. car still has outstanding finance is there anything i can do? the address was a dud.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Surely the first point to address is selling a car with outstanding finance. It isn't yours to sell as far as I understand
21 Comments
Send your post to letters@honestjohn.co.uk. And sort out this sentence which is unclear '...he filled out the trader section signed it gave it 9 off.'

If the trader gave you a phone umber, search Gumtree for it and Google it. They often turn up elsewhere

You need to look to pay off the finance pronto. I fear there will be restrictions in their contract on your selling the car without notifying them/paying them off
Surely the first point to address is selling a car with outstanding finance. It isn't yours to sell as far as I understand
psychobitchfromhell55 s ago

Surely the first point to address is selling a car with outstanding …Surely the first point to address is selling a car with outstanding finance. It isn't yours to sell as far as I understand

exactly.

the finance must be cleared before the buyer can sign the V5
Did they give you any money OP? You're still responsible for paying off the finance
you have three people you must contact the finance company, the police and DVLA.
The finance company, because they are pretty soon going to know you've sold THEIR CAR. Did you get enough to pay off the finance?

DVLA because you don't want a stack of parking tickets dropping through your letterbox, or Plod kicking your door in at 4 a.m. because the car has been used for some nefarious purposes. ( photocopy your form before you return it to DVLA with a change of ownership).

Finally phone the police you have to tell them that the new purchaser has given you a false name and address. It won't hurt to tell them that you felt intimidated by these four men and their Tactics when they bought the car - though personally I wouldn't lay it on too thick as you don't want these four chancers turning up with their friends Mr pickaxe handle and Mr baseball bat.
What on earth does this mean?

he filled out the trader section signed it gave it 9 off. i clicked on too late.
chocci13 m ago

What on earth does this mean?he filled out the trader section signed it …What on earth does this mean?he filled out the trader section signed it gave it 9 off. i clicked on too late.

The traders section of the V5 is part 9, so I'm guessing this is what the OP has been left with.
So it's not an oil in coolant scam, as there was oil in your coolant and it was blowing blue smoke?

Was one of them vaping under the car with some blue juice?
You can inform DVLA online of changed ownership. I suspect this will trigger something with the finance company
dataload29 m ago

So it's not an oil in coolant scam, as there was oil in your coolant and …So it's not an oil in coolant scam, as there was oil in your coolant and it was blowing blue smoke?Was one of them vaping under the car with some blue juice?

They probably put the oil in themselves. It's a known tactic. ukpassats.co.uk/php…140

Stories about it in the DM and Sun but be damned am I linking to either.
Why have you let them leave you just the traders part of the v5 slip?, It is your responsibility to send of the new keepers details, I can only assume you was desperate for the money to allow them to get away with this and hence said nothing at the time.

I guess they will also not be to happy when they find out the car has outstanding finance.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 15th Mar
emodan7 m ago

They probably put the oil in themselves. It's a known tactic. …They probably put the oil in themselves. It's a known tactic. http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=90140Stories about it in the DM and Sun but be damned am I linking to either.

I thought that at first but then I presumed that the seller hadn't left the buyer to do what they wanted around the engine bay or let them take it for a drive without being with them.
dataload18 m ago

I thought that at first but then I presumed that the seller hadn't left …I thought that at first but then I presumed that the seller hadn't left the buyer to do what they wanted around the engine bay or let them take it for a drive without being with them.

My guess is the op wasn't paying attention as one distracted them .I would have been wary as soon as they turned up in such numbers.
Not sure there is any point replying to this thread the O.P doesn't seem to use this site except to post questions and not bother responding.

Why would you let someone test drive the car and not go with them?
emodan57 m ago

My guess is the op wasn't paying attention as one distracted them .I would …My guess is the op wasn't paying attention as one distracted them .I would have been wary as soon as they turned up in such numbers.

Easy mistake to make I suppose but unfortunately an expensive lesson.

Personally I've had good experience when it comes to selling vehicles, last one was a bit funny as he left it with me to sort recovery (sorn) but turned up a week or so later once it was in his name and drove it away.

Apparently it had passed an MOT, at a garage the other side of the country, while on my drive.

Nice friendly Romanian guy though, apart from him trying to get me to give him some money towards recovery after he paid for the car.

A swift no sorry and he didn't ask again, then obviously just bought a funny MOT anyway..
mrty3 h, 49 m ago

you have three people you must contact the finance company, the police and …you have three people you must contact the finance company, the police and DVLA.The finance company, because they are pretty soon going to know you've sold THEIR CAR. Did you get enough to pay off the finance?DVLA because you don't want a stack of parking tickets dropping through your letterbox, or Plod kicking your door in at 4 a.m. because the car has been used for some nefarious purposes. ( photocopy your form before you return it to DVLA with a change of ownership).Finally phone the police you have to tell them that the new purchaser has given you a false name and address. It won't hurt to tell them that you felt intimidated by these four men and their Tactics when they bought the car - though personally I wouldn't lay it on too thick as you don't want these four chancers turning up with their friends Mr pickaxe handle and Mr baseball bat.

Police were no help tbh i told them i want to report the incident. They replied saying there is nothing to report and to let dvla and the finance company know about it. Which i have done.
It is because of the situation i am in struggling financially. They got me good plain and simple lesson to be learnt. Luckily i have enough to pay finance. I have let dvla know, police were pointless. Thanks for your replys
Replies guys much appreciated
I cant work out if you cheated them or they cheated you.

answers on a postcard
f47h4d5 h, 56 m ago

Police were no help tbh i told them i want to report the incident. They …Police were no help tbh i told them i want to report the incident. They replied saying there is nothing to report and to let dvla and the finance company know about it. Which i have done.

Maybe no help, but make a note of the time you called - they log all calls - and if it does come back to bite you you can at least say 'I did report it but you weren't interested at the time'. Hope all good sorted.
Maybe next time u might be able to hand back the car to finance firm and be done with it. Glad u got it sorted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants