Groups
    EXPIRED

Oil leak on car

I've just put my car through the MOT and had to pay out to get some work done. On the advisory it says that there is an oil leak. The man at the garage told me that it is only minor and to take the car in perhaps next month. I have a Citroen Xsarra Picasso (10 years old) - haven't spoken about the cost yet, but can somebody please give me some advice as to how much I am possibly thinking about paying out for a minor oil leak? Thank you.

15 Comments

Depends on where the leak is.

Oil is leaking because something isn't sealing properly and the fix is to dismantle and replace the seal or gasket that is causing the problem.

That could be a simple 10 min job or a days work. Cost wise you'll be looking at labour and the appropriate seal or gasket.

Unless you know where the leak is coming from it is like how long is a piece of string. It maybe a simply job of tighteningup a clip, replacing a hose to removing components to accesses something more serious.

If only a minor leak and it's in a difficult place that's going to cost a lot to fix labour wise then perhaps you could use some stop oil leak stuff, It makes old seals expand which in fairy can solve some leaks.

Also try using a thicker viscosity oil, Wouldn't spend too much fixing a 10 year old Citreon, It's likely to have lot's of niggly issues with the age.

You could also consider selling it.

My last car had a very slight leak,it was very minor I was told so not really a problem. I ran it for nearly 3 years and no problem at all. It was an old car so wouldn't have been worth sorting really but its still going strong with someone else and its nearly 14.

I just kept it running because it was reliable and had no issues at all(after a hoo ha with snapped belt but that's irrelevant as it was someone else's co ck up)

If your car is running fine,your happy to keep it and that's the only problem then just keep an eye on it and ask your mechanic about costs later. If he thought it was serious he would have tried toget you to sort it as soon as

We have a mechanic friend who sorts all our cars so I always know things will be done for cheapest cost which is great. I absolutely hate being ripped off when it comes to cars!
    Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 14th Jul 2014

We've had the same for the past 3 MOTs (Different car than yours) and apparently it's the Oil Filter (Needs tightening) on ours but changed it and it carries on but I just keep an eye on it and had no issues, the Car is 13yrs old so just see it as it getting tired....as long as it doesn't leave a puddle everytime you stop just try and find out where it's coming from as the cause could be as simple as ours.

Edited by: "Likely2" 14th Jul 2014

Banned

op have a look under the bonnet, if it looks like just a bit of oil weeping out its the same as countless other cars

takethatfan1978

My last car had a very slight leak,it was very minor I was told so not … My last car had a very slight leak,it was very minor I was told so not really a problem. I ran it for nearly 3 years and no problem at all. It was an old car so wouldn't have been worth sorting really but its still going strong with someone else and its nearly 14.I just kept it running because it was reliable and had no issues at all(after a hoo ha with snapped belt but that's irrelevant as it was someone else's co ck up)If your car is running fine,your happy to keep it and that's the only problem then just keep an eye on it and ask your mechanic about costs later. If he thought it was serious he would have tried toget you to sort it as soon as :)We have a mechanic friend who sorts all our cars so I always know things will be done for cheapest cost which is great. I absolutely hate being ripped off when it comes to cars!

Clearly you did have a problem with it, You had a leak..!!!!. ;).

As suggested check all pipes and oil filter, They are simple to sort out and relatively cheap.

Sump and rocker gasket is simple too. Anything else is likely to cost loads of money to fix.

Just make sure you check oil level more regularly than you normally would.

A small leak can quickly become a big one when you least expect it so carry a full can of oil and make sure you are member of a rescue service but above all don't get lulled into the" it's not been a problem for me" brigade.
    Better safe than sorry get it properly checked from a good garage (not main dealer) and they will tell you how much it will cost after all £100 spent now may save £200-300 later

shauneco

Clearly you did have a problem with it, You had a leak..!!!!. ;).

It was extremely minor and only occurred after the ti t that caused my timing belt problem didn't sort it when replacing engine. I didn't know anything about it until our mechanic friend started looking after our cars a year later and told me.

He was not concerned about it so neither was I,car ran great and hardly used any oil. Oil was checked regularly and car was serviced every 6 months. Even if my car is old it gets looked after. As I've said car still running fine,instead of selling/scrapping our mechanic has it as a run around for his garage and we scored serving/repairs/mots for our two cars now. Everyone a winner

Not every case will be like that though and some will be serious,for me though it was fine so there was no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I always had a bottle of oil in the boot as I do now with new car but never needed it in an emergency,car was extremely reliable and I was never concerned about being stranded. If it did end up developing a huge problem it would have been scrapped-not a big deal!

sowotsdis

A small leak can quickly become a big one when you least expect it so … A small leak can quickly become a big one when you least expect it so carry a full can of oil and make sure you are member of a rescue service but above all don't get lulled into the" it's not been a problem for me" brigade.Better safe than sorry get it properly checked from a good garage (not main dealer) and they will tell you how much it will cost after all £100 spent now may save £200-300 later

The garage itself told Sophiasky it's 'minor' and to bring it back next month when they could have easily tried to make it sound worse than it was to get more money from Sophiasky but didn't, not everyone is 'frightened' into spending money they don't need to and lots of people are quite capable of sorting these things out themselves.

Lots of cars have 'minor' Oil leaks for various reasons and as long as they are kept an eye on then what's to worry about, yes I know....It will blow up if you leave it and cause world destruction.....yeah we get it, all members are doing is passing on their own personal experences, which the OP can take or leave and some of the suggestions are common for older cars.

One of the ways to find out how serious it might be or not is just wipe down where the leak is obvious and drive around for a few days and check to see if you can tell where it's coming from, and check the Oil levels, mine is obviously from the Oil filter and I very rarely need to top it up.

Obviously Sophiasky is asking here which is a sensible thing to do and personally I'd go back and ask where the problem might be as if the Garage is a decent one they'll have no issue telling you so you can fix yourself if it's doable and your capable.

Yes it is better to be safe than sorry and everyone will agree but until the cause is found then no point making it a bigger issue than it might be, it might just be a case of tightnening something but it might not, unless of course the evil garage can see into the future and know that if not fixed it will blow up....

I think the majority of cars of a certain age have minor leaks. Mine has a leak, but its so minor there is never any sign of oil where it has been parked. I monitor oil levels and it has virtually no affect.

OP - I wouldn't be too concerned about it, do don't worry.

moob

I think the majority of cars of a certain age have minor leaks. Mine has … I think the majority of cars of a certain age have minor leaks. Mine has a leak, but its so minor there is never any sign of oil where it has been parked. I monitor oil levels and it has virtually no affect.OP - I wouldn't be too concerned about it, do don't worry.

Agree with you,mine was the same and quite an old car.Very minor and caused no problem at all.

Better hope I don't start to leak when I get to a certain age!! oO

Likely2

The garage itself told Sophiasky it's 'minor' and to bring it back next … The garage itself told Sophiasky it's 'minor' and to bring it back next month when they could have easily tried to make it sound worse than it was to get more money from Sophiasky but didn't, not everyone is 'frightened' into spending money they don't need to and lots of people are quite capable of sorting these things out themselves.Lots of cars have 'minor' Oil leaks for various reasons and as long as they are kept an eye on then what's to worry about, yes I know....It will blow up if you leave it and cause world destruction.....yeah we get it, all members are doing is passing on their own personal experences, which the OP can take or leave and some of the suggestions are common for older cars.One of the ways to find out how serious it might be or not is just wipe down where the leak is obvious and drive around for a few days and check to see if you can tell where it's coming from, and check the Oil levels, mine is obviously from the Oil filter and I very rarely need to top it up.Obviously Sophiasky is asking here which is a sensible thing to do and personally I'd go back and ask where the problem might be as if the Garage is a decent one they'll have no issue telling you so you can fix yourself if it's doable and your capable.Yes it is better to be safe than sorry and everyone will agree but until the cause is found then no point making it a bigger issue than it might be, it might just be a case of tightnening something but it might not, unless of course the evil garage can see into the future and know that if not fixed it will blow up....

Good advice and I agree with you. I don't understand folk that make huge issues out of nothing especially as cause of leak has not been determined yet. If the garage was that concerned they would have recommended sorting it as soon as possible.

Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice, much appreciated, however, there is another issue which I have posted about.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Arsenal Direct discount code11
      2. Parcel Hero weight adjustment11
      3. BT Sport Vs SkySports36
      4. Decent hoover55

See more discussions