Ok , going through the drinks cupboard , I came across the following ...advice please

Posted 22nd Dec 2019
Bottle of Baileys deluxe chocolate liquor best before Dec 2016 never been opened - Drink or throw ?

two bottles 1 a Rose 1 a white wine from M&S
both advised to drink within a year (bought in 2017)
never been opened
Drink or throw?

Greenall Gin
litre bottle bought 2011
opened 2016
still 3/4 left
Drink or throw ?

I will appreciate any advice thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
It’s alcohol. NEVER WASTE!
mutley122/12/2019 18:35

i have also given out of date beer to hubby and he hasn't really noticed, …i have also given out of date beer to hubby and he hasn't really noticed, but he doesn't drink beer often so he may not know the difference between good and bad beer for soft drink, i drink out of date soft drinks and they are fine but if they are too long out of date then they can become flat and so the nice taste has gone, otherwise no bad effect on me.

"otherwise no bad effect on me"

Others may disagree
Arto22/12/2019 18:13

Give the baileys to the mother in law

Better still, give the Bailey's to My mother-in-law.
Chuck the Baileys and drink the rest.
35 Comments
It’s alcohol. NEVER WASTE!
Save them for the next time you have guests over.
Re-gift
Just drink them yourself and don’t tell anybody you had them
Drink it, alcohol doesn’t go offer it will just be slightly stronger. Go get merry
Drink it all & then throw... make sure you have a bowl handy.

Seriously, though, as it contains milk, I wouldn't risk it.

Then again, I wouldn't drink it in the first place.
Scrape of date and gift
ndyanem22/12/2019 17:52

Drink it, alcohol doesn’t go offer it will just be slightly stronger. Go g …Drink it, alcohol doesn’t go offer it will just be slightly stronger. Go get merry

Opposite... "Even if you open a bottle and let it sit, it will not expire, but the alcohol may start to evaporate as it oxidizes"
Drink them all tonight and let us know how it went tomorrow?

Alcohol should never be allowed to go past a use by date ,shame on you.
Sloman22/12/2019 17:57

Opposite... "Even if you open a bottle and let it sit, it will not …Opposite... "Even if you open a bottle and let it sit, it will not expire, but the alcohol may start to evaporate as it oxidizes"

Even way good idea to try it out ........ just to be sure .........
bailey contains cream, so best to avoid
I’d have thought that at least with the baileys and wine you would be able to tell if anything is wrong when you taste it so I would crack on
Set your phone's calendar app back in time.
Drink.
Set your phone's calendar app to correct time.
Sorted
Chuck the Baileys and drink the rest.
Baileys needs to go
the rest you drink
Mendoza22/12/2019 18:13

Baileys needs to gothe rest you drink

Arto22/12/2019 18:13

Better still, give the Bailey's to My mother-in-law.
i have given out of date booze to hubby without telling him they are out of date, by several years! he has drank most of them except two bottles that he said they tasted really bad and must have gone off.

i don't drink but as far as i understand from my experience with hubby, is that you will know if the alcohol can not be consumed as it tastes really bad.
Does beer go off? It has an expiry date?
Lol love the comments , and thanks for the brilliant advice , ok Baileys will throw , don’t fancy re-gifting !!
I had a glass from a “best before 2018” vintage baileys last night (I was having the same dilemma as you!). It didn’t taste great so I chucked it all after the first sip. Wasn’t like mouldy milk but I could tell it wasn’t right.
Edited by: "bluep" 22nd Dec 2019
Craig201822/12/2019 18:22

Does beer go off? It has an expiry date?

i have also given out of date beer to hubby and he hasn't really noticed, but he doesn't drink beer often so he may not know the difference between good and bad beer

for soft drink, i drink out of date soft drinks and they are fine but if they are too long out of date then they can become flat and so the nice taste has gone, otherwise no bad effect on me.
mutley122/12/2019 18:35

i have also given out of date beer to hubby and he hasn't really noticed, …i have also given out of date beer to hubby and he hasn't really noticed, but he doesn't drink beer often so he may not know the difference between good and bad beer for soft drink, i drink out of date soft drinks and they are fine but if they are too long out of date then they can become flat and so the nice taste has gone, otherwise no bad effect on me.

"otherwise no bad effect on me"

Others may disagree
Yes , chuck the baileys as it contains dairy products
In most cases Irish cream, provided the bottle is unopened, should be fine for at least two years after bottling. Of course, it won’t go bad a day or two after that date, but the longer you store it, the worse its quality will be.
So in this case just have a shot and see what it taste likes
Baileys is supposed to be ok for 2 years.
"Bottle of Baileys deluxe chocolate liquor best before Dec 2016 never been opened - Drink or throw ?"

ndyanem22/12/2019 18:52

In most cases Irish cream, provided the bottle is unopened, should be fine …In most cases Irish cream, provided the bottle is unopened, should be fine for at least two years after bottling. Of course, it won’t go bad a day or two after that date, but the longer you store it, the worse its quality will be. So in this case just have a shot and see what it taste likes

bozo00722/12/2019 20:44

Baileys is supposed to be ok for 2 years.

Uh-huh.
fanpages22/12/2019 21:42

"Bottle of Baileys deluxe chocolate liquor best before Dec 2016 never …"Bottle of Baileys deluxe chocolate liquor best before Dec 2016 never been opened - Drink or throw ?"Uh-huh.

Whats the problem?
if you drink it it won`t matter whether it`s 2018 or 2019 and yo may even be okay for 2020
Try it, if it tastes fine then drink it. You don't have anything to fear from food poisoning as the cream is in alcohol (bacteria can't grow). I imagine it will taste perfectly fine.
Open the baileys, pour a shot. If it looks curdled, or like off milk bin it. If not taste a little. If it tastes sour then bin it.
Its £10 a bottle so if its going to taste rank, just buy another bottle.
Otherwise as its unopened i imagine it will be fine.

As for the other stuff they are often left to age for donkeys years anyway so crack on.
Treboeth22/12/2019 18:37

"otherwise no bad effect on me"Others may disagree

Or be disappointed.
If you've not bothered to drink them in that long I would just bin the lot.
Edited by: "fattyflumpalump" 24th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants