Ok, I know this may be stupid/random, but I said I'd try to find out... lol

12 replies
Found 2nd Mar 2009
Ok, My self and my OH were at friends at the weekend and we got onto the subject of their wedding. Now admittedly we had had a few soda pops when we we came up with this fab idea, but at the time it seemed great... lol Just not sure what the rules etc are...

Basically they would like to get married at home, nice garden ceremony in the summer.. I said you couldn't, because I thought it had to be on holy ground or something like that.. but as my friends pointed out, people do get married in all sorts of weird places...

Does anyone know what the rules are and if this would be possible?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

They need to get a liscence for their premises.
I'm sure if they rang their local registry office they will point them in the right direction :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bitseylango;4530190

You can get married anywhere. Its classed as a civil service. you just … You can get married anywhere. Its classed as a civil service. you just have to get the registrar to agree to it.

So would they have to go to the registry office to find out?

they basically have a party every year for one of their birthdays and we joked that it would be amazing to spring a surprise wedding on the guests! lol

The licence is quite expensive as it comes through your local council and lasts a year, why not have the actual wedding in private the day before and then exchange vows on the day..........a nice marquee in the garden, all set up with drapes and flowers, it would be lovely!! If you were local to me I could do u a deal on the marquee!!
Just looked at the Gov website, can't use your home unless it is open to the public for other weddings etc.

Original Poster

wendyak;4530219

The licence is quite expensive as it comes through your local council and … The licence is quite expensive as it comes through your local council and lasts a year, why not have the actual wedding in private the day before and then exchange vows on the day..........a nice marquee in the garden, all set up with drapes and flowers, it would be lovely!! If you were local to me I could do u a deal on the marquee!!

That's plan B.

Plan C is getting married privately the day before and hiring a couple of jokers we know (but the guests don't) to come along and perform some random bizarre wedding ceremony in a "what can go wrong will go wrong" type way...

lol

My mum had a blessing in her garden performed by the local priest!

oldest son is getting married in america(his fiancee is american) in june and his best friend is gonna perform the ceremony-all totally legal over there-he just gets himself ordained as a minister 24 hours before the wedding which costs 60 dollars-bit bizarre but thats what they want.

barky;4530418

oldest son is getting married in america(his fiancee is american) in june … oldest son is getting married in america(his fiancee is american) in june and his best friend is gonna perform the ceremony-all totally legal over there-he just gets himself ordained as a minister 24 hours before the wedding which costs 60 dollars-bit bizarre but thats what they want.

Could he do a quick divorce for me as a homer when he gets home? I'll split the $60 fee!

yep i had a small registry do and then the big wedding on a different day ...marquee the works...very expensive though!

the legal bit must be done in a public place - but there is nothing to stop you having a cermony, without a registar in your private garden, it just won't be legal.

it sounds a lovely idea. Let us know if they manage to organise it x
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!23
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…2037
    3. Coming up to bonfire night ...2336
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland22

See more discussions