Ok im useless at this kind of thing.. can anyone help regarding xbox 360 and which one?

26 replies
Found 2nd Oct 2009
Ive been looking for which xbox 360 to get our son for xmas and seen these...

amazon have the arcade for £135
argos xbox with 60gb hard drive for £166.49 (£156.49 with voucher)
or game have
Xbox 360 Elite with Need for Speed Shift and Halo 3 ODST for £199 (was thinking of selling halo 3 ODST)

Which one is better value for money? Hes 11 yrs old.. can anyone steer me in the right direction or know of any better deals as would prefer console only?

26 Comments

depends on whether you want to play online or not
out of the all the elite is the best as it has the most storage and can save the games on the hard drive
syzable be your best bet to ask xxx

I would recommend the Elite as it is now really the standard Xbox, and has the 120GB HDD - Very useful for installing games onto the hard drive, keeping game saves and DLC.

Look around for Elite packages, there's a few good ones floating aroung at the moment and on the run out to Christmas there will be more But I would say go for the Elite as it will most likely be most useful in the long run.

I personally have the 60GB version, but that was from last Christmas before the Elite price drop, and wouldn't mind the 120 GB drive now @)

Go straight for the elite.

To many problems with the smaller models, and not sure what chipset you will get.

Xbox 360 Elite with Need for Speed Shift and Halo 3 ODST for £199 (was thinking of selling halo 3 ODST)

Best deal. Get £20 back on that.

Yh as others have said go for the elite, you could always sell or trade the games that come with the bundle :thumbsup:

Adam2050;6460566

Go straight for the elite.To many problems with the smaller models, and … Go straight for the elite.To many problems with the smaller models, and not sure what chipset you will get.Xbox 360 Elite with Need for Speed Shift and Halo 3 ODST for £199 (was thinking of selling halo 3 ODST)Best deal. Get £20 back on that.

I agree if you can afford to shell out the extra £40 :thumbsup:

Don't bother with the arcade.....

Will your son want to play online with friends? if so you're going to need additional hardware (and if playing with mates at home he'll need an additional controller)

I've got 2 xbox360's and a new PS3 slim and my question is, do you really want an xbox?

I was an xbox fanboy upto recently, but decided to go over to the darkside and bought the PS3 and I'm so glad I did. Games seem to become cheaper quicker, no having to buy a wireless internet dongle as the PS3 has it built-in, no having to pay for online play because it's free with PS Network and that's without mentioning the better graphics.

As you'll see on here today, you can buy a PS3 with 2 games including FIFA10 for less than £225!!

stefor;6460609

I've got 2 xbox360's and a new PS3 slim and my question is, do you really … I've got 2 xbox360's and a new PS3 slim and my question is, do you really want an xbox? I was an xbox fanboy upto recently, but decided to go over to the darkside and bought the PS3 and I'm so glad I did. Games seem to become cheaper quicker, no having to buy a wireless internet dongle as the PS3 has it built-in, no having to pay for online play because it's free with PS Network and that's without mentioning the better graphics.As you'll see on here today, you can buy a PS3 with 2 games including FIFA10 for less than £225!!

that's the only annoying thing with xbox having to buy the live subscription, i think you should be able to have all 3 gamer tags for the money you pay, not pay for each one seperate it's a rip off xxx

Original Poster

yeah he wants to play online..

prob go for the elite and sell the 2 games it comes with hopefully get some back from that

Angelstar;6460633

that's the only annoying thing with xbox having to buy the live … that's the only annoying thing with xbox having to buy the live subscription, i think you should be able to have all 3 gamer tags for the money you pay, not pay for each one seperate it's a rip off xxx

thats tru, Its a bit unfair to have to buy xbox live for every account/username u have in ur household

stefor;6460609

I've got 2 xbox360's and a new PS3 slim and my question is, do you really … I've got 2 xbox360's and a new PS3 slim and my question is, do you really want an xbox? I was an xbox fanboy upto recently, but decided to go over to the darkside and bought the PS3 and I'm so glad I did. Games seem to become cheaper quicker, no having to buy a wireless internet dongle as the PS3 has it built-in, no having to pay for online play because it's free with PS Network and that's without mentioning the better graphics.As you'll see on here today, you can buy a PS3 with 2 games including FIFA10 for less than £225!!

Strange I find the games cheaper on xbox?:?

why not get a 360 premium 60gb from morrsions for 130? saw one the other day so they must have stock...was a really good price i thought but i got a ps3 instead due to reliability and blu-ray

CuteKitty26;6460657

yeah he wants to play online.. prob go for the elite and sell the 2 games … yeah he wants to play online.. prob go for the elite and sell the 2 games it comes with hopefully get some back from that

If he's going online - I'd take a look at this when you come to set it up
xbox.com/en-…htm

2ndly - he'll need an xbox live subscription (about £30 a year)

3rdly - if the xbox isn't near your broadband router - you'll have to buy homeplugs or a wireless adaptor for the xbox (£40 or £50 although sometimes you can get them for around £35)...

treble99;6460679

thats tru, Its a bit unfair to have to buy xbox live for every … thats tru, Its a bit unfair to have to buy xbox live for every account/username u have in ur household

yes becasue i got a gamer tag but can't use it cos it expired and need to buy the full one, but don't play on it much so not really worth the 30 odd quid xxx

Angelstar;6460741

yes becasue i got a gamer tag but can't use it cos it expired and need to … yes becasue i got a gamer tag but can't use it cos it expired and need to buy the full one, but don't play on it much so not really worth the 30 odd quid xxx

lol i know what u mean, my xbox live ran out ages ago and cba to buy it again, just waiting for new call of duty and then i'll buy it again

OK folks.............when does the new call of duty come out???......my boys need to start saving agin!

bitseylango;6460827

OK folks.............when does the new call of duty come out???......my … OK folks.............when does the new call of duty come out???......my boys need to start saving agin!

10th Nov :thumbsup:

gari189;6460837

10th Nov :thumbsup:

thanks, whats the chances of that being cheap in Asda on release day? :-D

bitseylango;6460853

I'd say high.

Adam2050;6460927

I'd say high.

I don't know actually - last year I was waiting for them all to drop their prices for release and I think the cheapest was £35.......

gari189;6460953

I don't know actually - last year I was waiting for them all to drop … I don't know actually - last year I was waiting for them all to drop their prices for release and I think the cheapest was £35.......

Thats cheaper then this is now.

Got no loss in waiting tbh.

Sloth/Mod

Adam2050;6460927

I'd say high.

+1

I asked when i picked up FIFA 10 today and the guy at the counter said it was very likely to have a 24 hour or weekend special price.

FYI:
250Gb capacity Elite with "Modern Warfare 2" coming to GAME(Station).

More details in a ]previous thread that may also be useful to you, CuteKitty26.

(Or it may confuse you even more!)

BFN,

fp.

Syzable;6461172

+1I asked when i picked up FIFA 10 today and the guy at the counter said … +1I asked when i picked up FIFA 10 today and the guy at the counter said it was very likely to have a 24 hour or weekend special price.

You should post that as a deal - thats solid information compared to some of the Fifa 10 posts. I know you don't know the price but just make one up :w00t:

Bitsey - I was looking through last years COD posts - the only supermarket to have it on special offer was Asda (£27). My nearest Asda is 25 miles away :-(

Syzable;6461172

+1I asked when i picked up FIFA 10 today and the guy at the counter said … +1I asked when i picked up FIFA 10 today and the guy at the counter said it was very likely to have a 24 hour or weekend special price.

I'll stick with my preorder.

I went into Asda first thing on the Saturday morning when they were selling CoD WAW for £27 over that weekend, they "didn't have the game in stock - Order hadn't arrived". Bull, they had it all in the back or had bought them themselves. Or simply didn't get any in to sell at £27, whatever.

So in terms of relying on that, I'd rather not @)

bitseylango;6460853

It was £27 last year, but I believe the RRP is higher this year, so you'd be lucky if it's under £30

hotukdeals.com/ite…e=1

stefor;6460609

I was an xbox fanboy upto recently, but decided to go over to the … I was an xbox fanboy upto recently, but decided to go over to the darkside and bought the PS3 and I'm so glad I did. Games seem to become cheaper quicker, no having to buy a wireless internet dongle as the PS3 has it built-in, no having to pay for online play because it's free with PS Network and that's without mentioning the better graphics.

I've not seen any consistency with games being cheaper on one platform on the other, in some cases the PS3 tends to be the last to get pricedrops if at all (the GH games irritatingly haven't seen the deals the Wii/360 ones have had for some reason) plus as it's been getting some games later by the time they're on PS3 they're a budget release on the 360. Additionally the Xbox 360 used market is currently larger and any graphical advantages are theoretical especially as there as some issues caused by the PS3 architecture, both platforms have shown their capability to be strong. I do own and use both consoles frequently, I'm simply balancing some of your points although I would also mention the PS3 having the capability of blu-ray playback.

I do agree it's worth considering the PS3 but for different reasons, the most obvious one being the games themselves - they each have their share of exclusives and preference towards certain games will make one console a more worthwhile choice. Also it's important to have the same console as friends are playing with for multiplayer and being able to swap games.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769430
    2. I thought the 'Dementia tax' had gone for good,apparently not.35
    3. UNDERTALE PS4 / PS Vita / PC Physical Editions (Exclusive to Fangamer)33
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428014646

See more discussions