Found 1st Apr 2009
been in hospital now on road to recovery, just wish the little one was too Whats been happening ?

64 Comments

what happened?

Its after 12 and Lulu has been very quiet of late so I don't think this is an Aprils fools....

Lulu - is your little one okay? did the tummy bug you have take a nasty turn?

Original Poster

Got admitted Saturday night, the both of us with suspect menningitis. Awful times, struggling to get fluids in the baby, any suggestions anybody? Tried jelly, ice lollys etc.

wickedteen;4798054

see ya then...........................another april fools joke i supose

:roll:it's after mid day silly

sorry its 1st of april and theres been some stupid carp on here so far and getting removed almost straight away, so i pressumed it was a joke.

Original Poster

wickedteen;4798093

sorry its 1st of april and theres been some stupid carp on here so far … sorry its 1st of april and theres been some stupid carp on here so far and getting removed almost straight away, so i pressumed it was a joke.

My prayers would be answered if this was a joke, trust me.

Lulu'sMammy;4798088

Got admitted Saturday night, the both of us with suspect menningitis. … Got admitted Saturday night, the both of us with suspect menningitis. Awful times, struggling to get fluids in the baby, any suggestions anybody? Tried jelly, ice lollys etc.

omg!! didnt know this...hope ur ok...although im sure ur lil un is all u can think about....u obvioulsy tried sweetning the water with ribena...

Lulu'sMammy;4798088

Got admitted Saturday night, the both of us with suspect menningitis. … Got admitted Saturday night, the both of us with suspect menningitis. Awful times, struggling to get fluids in the baby, any suggestions anybody? Tried jelly, ice lollys etc.

awww bless :-( hope your little one's ok & that you are both feeling better soon.
my 7 year old is off school sick & the doc said to keep his fluids up as he's not eating but it's really difficult when he says everything tastes disgusting so i know exactly how you feel

wickedteen;4798093

sorry its 1st of april and theres been some stupid carp on here so far … sorry its 1st of april and theres been some stupid carp on here so far and getting removed almost straight away, so i pressumed it was a joke.

im sure u didnt mean it...

Banned

sorry to hear your not well hun, and the little one, what did it turn out to be, one of these bugs/virus no doubt, as for getting fluids into the little one it is really hard work when there not interested, just keep up with the lollies, jellies, etc,etc my little chap loves ice pops so it wouldnt be a problem with him, love and hugs to you both xx

Oh no - how awful for you and your family. I hope you and your daughter are well on the mend now!

How old is your baby?

Will she eat fruit - like strawberries and melon? Or cucumber too has a high water content.

Original Poster

Yeah tried everything i caqn think of, wont entertain any food at all, and am really struggling with the fluids. I feel almost 60%, its no comparrison to laying in a hospital bed and watching your baby in one next to you. Any help on fluids would be brilliant please.

Original Poster

Shes 13 months, and losing weight drastically!

Banned

slush puppies

supermod

So sorry to hear what's happened to you both. Hope your little one is better soon. Take care both.

ss hun, my lil boy likes fruit shoots. I never give him them but bampi does in macdonalds ( son just has a few fries). But Ethan been vomitting everything up last few days so bought a few packs of tesco own fruit shoots 63p for 4 and letting him have them as eveyr time he eats he gags and vomits.

If you think they bit sweet take a mouthful and add some cooled boiled water to dilute it a bit

Banned

Lulu'sMammy;4798131

Yikes. That's not good at all. Sorry to hear this LLM. Have the doctors not given any suggestions?

Lulu'sMammy;4798131

:-( just keep trying giving her small amounts of fluids often. i went and bought my son some orange lucozade today and he seems to be drinking little amounts often so at least that is getting his energy & fluid levels up a bit although just checked & it says on the bottle it's not suitable for under 3's

wouldnt a doctors advice on fluids be more beneficial than an internet forum? what did they recommend?

OMG!! Lulu, this must be horrible for u!! Is she still in hospital now or back home? Sounds like u've tried everything, wot have the docs said??

warm bed baths, she'll absorb some of the water though her skin

plus get them to give you the sponge sticks which you can soak in water or juice and let her suck, or sqeeze into her mouth, happenned when I was very ill with pneumonia

hope you both get better soon xx

Will she drink pop, i never allow Ethan to have fizzy pop but if he sees us having a can of coke he wants some , so i let him have the minutest amount and then guzzle the rest to show him all gone.

I remember my kid sis was LIbby's age when she had gastroenterritis (sp) and virral diarrohea and the nurses actually advise giving her flat coke if she take it

Original Poster

DIVA1977;4798155

ss hun, my lil boy likes fruit shoots. I never give him them but bampi … ss hun, my lil boy likes fruit shoots. I never give him them but bampi does in macdonalds ( son just has a few fries). But Ethan been vomitting everything up last few days so bought a few packs of tesco own fruit shoots 63p for 4 and letting him have them as eveyr time he eats he gags and vomits.If you think they bit sweet take a mouthful and add some cooled boiled water to dilute it a bit

This is what i'm using, 220ml boiled water and 20ml fruit shoot. Its not going down good!

hope you both feel better soon xx

Lulu'sMammy;4798204

This is what i'm using, 220ml boiled water and 20ml fruit shoot. Its not … This is what i'm using, 220ml boiled water and 20ml fruit shoot. Its not going down good!

maybe do it alot stronger like 200 ml fruit shoot 50ml water, wont harm her short term, i really feel for you hun as i say Ethan sick too but he is keeping fluids down last 36 hours but its been since sunday night with him and not a million miles apart ( location wise)

Original Poster

shanecr;4798186

wouldnt a doctors advice on fluids be more beneficial than an internet … wouldnt a doctors advice on fluids be more beneficial than an internet forum? what did they recommend?

I asked for suggestions on fluids, i didn't ask for medical advive? The doctor suggested i give my daughter custard......milk is the worst thing when being sick, would you take this advice?

i have had this loads with my daughter she is one that when she gets ill she gets everything at once all the doctors do is say make sure you get fluid into them and if tey havent had any within a 24 hour time then she would have to go into hospital to be put on a drip. my heart is with you lulu it is soul destroying watching your little one losing weight and you cant do anything to help them.

Original Poster

choc1969;4798196

warm bed baths, she'll absorb some of the water though her skinplus get … warm bed baths, she'll absorb some of the water though her skinplus get them to give you the sponge sticks which you can soak in water or juice and let her suck, or sqeeze into her mouth, happenned when I was very ill with pneumoniahope you both get better soon xx

Thankyou, this is what im after simple ways of getting fluids in.

Banned

Lulu'sMammy;4798204

This is what i'm using, 220ml boiled water and 20ml fruit shoot. Its not … This is what i'm using, 220ml boiled water and 20ml fruit shoot. Its not going down good!

put more fruit shoot in, she probs cant even taste the juice, and water is vile when you feel like poops

oh the doctor also told me to give her flat coke full sugar not the diet stuff for energy.

Original Poster

sassie;4798276

put more fruit shoot in, she probs cant even taste the juice, and water … put more fruit shoot in, she probs cant even taste the juice, and water is vile when you feel like poops

But then i'm in a no win again, because any stronger, even 20mls, and its all over my carpet!!

juicy fruits? oranges, pineapple

Banned

Lulu'sMammy;4798306

But then i'm in a no win again, because any stronger, even 20mls, and its … But then i'm in a no win again, because any stronger, even 20mls, and its all over my carpet!!

does she like ice pops, you can make your own, how about slushed ice with a bit of colour in, so it looks pretty, now that sounds daft but anything worth a shot, as said cucumber is full of water

My OH suggested as he was just on phone what about some melon or fresh pineapple to suck on

Oh i hope she is better soon, i would keep away from dairy , as i find they are more likely to bring it back up that water or juice.
If i was you i would enjoy her to play with a bowl of water then it will atleast be absored through her skin.
You could always try to give her water by syringe every little bit of fluid will help. xx

Original Poster

Excellent suggestions, this is what i was after on here...
Playing with water, sponge down.
Cucumber...brilliant thanks!
Will try melon, not pineapple, may be a bit harsh if sick.
Thanks guys. Poor beggar is flopped over my lap, we are both so hungary, not ate since Friday! Good for me, not good for a skinny babe!

I know when my kids have been very ill before and i needed to get fluids into them and once when they were in hospital they syringed 5ml of water every 20-30 mins to try help it stay down, took a while to start staying down but it worked, and then they topped up the amount every so often.

Maybe something with a hint of ginger for you. Not sure about the little one. Maybe bananas
I think ginger is meant to be good as warms the stomach.

Hya LLM, I'm really sorry to hear about you and your daughter. I know how you feel as I went through a very similar thing with my youngest dd when she was 14 months old. She was ill for a couple of days (off her food/fluids, temperature and generally miserable, but vague symtoms and couldn't figure out what was wrong). After about 3 days she looked dreadful (losing weight, dark circles under the eyes) and I had a gut feeling something was really wrong. After a few hours of refusing all fluids altogether as well as the food I phoned the doctor and insisted on taking her there and then, they tried to fob me off so I just turned up and demanded to see someone. In the half hour it took to get ready and get there, she had deteriorated even more and by the time I got into see the doctor he took one look at her and called an ambulance. As soon as we got to hospital she was hooked up to a drip (she was dehydrated) and they thought she too had suspected meningitis, so they started her on the iv antibiotics straight away. In the meantime they were taking blood and urine for tests. Within a day of being on the iv the difference in her was incredible, she started to sit up and smile. We had to stay there for about 5 days in order to get all the results back and in the meantime she was still given the antibiotics and continuing to improve. Her blood tests showed that she had a pneumococcal infection, which as it turned out is extremely dangerous, in particular to children under the age of 2. The consultant in the hospital said to myself and OH that had I not taken her to the doctors when I did and had the doctor not sent her straight to the hospital when he did that in a handful of hours it would of been a very different story, her white blood cell count was so high that the infection was rapidly spreading through her tiny body and they had caught it before it reached her brain. What I am trying to say LLM is that whatever your gut instinct, don't ever ignore it. If you are really not too sure of the best way to get fluids down her (My daughter was exactly the same - it was impossible) take her back to the doctor/hopital or phone NHS direct. You said that she is losing weight, so she must be feeling pretty weak herself and this can make it harder to get fluids down her also. If you start to think that she may be dehydrated, please do not hesitate in taking her back - I cannot believe how quickly my daughter went 'downhill' but at the same time with treatment, how quickly she recovered. My heart goes out to the both of you, and I wish your little girl the speediest recovery :).

did the doctors not offer diaoralyte satchets thats what mine gave me has everything in them vitamins minerals just add water they come in different flavours and can be bought at the chemist my little one liked the blackcurrant hope this helps
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Want to sell on DLC ebay44
    2. heart rate monitor fitness watch58
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person625
    4. Kids cut and glue books34

See more discussions