OK...REALLY strange (but serious) question.....

Banned
How heavy is a Coffin???

Slightly concerned as I have a bad back at the moment and I got told last night I am one of 6 people to be carrying a coffin on monday

Anyone done this before?

27 Comments

If you have a bad back just be a 'middle-man' and be cheeky - bend your knee's a bit.

Its damn heavy m8 and awkward to carry. I did it last year. The other fellas made it look easy sittin the coffin on their shoulders...i had to put my hand on the side coz I was packing it in case it fell.

But other factors do come in to consideration. For example, the body can lose a water because certain mechanisms no longer retain it within the body, again it depends on how long the body has been in the mortuary. Dead weight at death is usually the same as when alive, so its the factors post mortem that affect the weight.

Also the cause of death can influence the weight as well. Distribution of the weight, mainly fluids in the body. The human skeleton alone can make up as much as 20% of the total body weight. The remaining 80% in flesh, organs, fluids etc.

In a nutshell, get some weightlifting practice in before you do it and it wont seem as heavy. If you got a bad back then you're gonna need to ignore the pain for a short time while you do it.

Besides, stop being a big girlies blouse and just do it..:thumbsup:

Heavy!!
Add the weight (sorry about this - dead weight) of how many stone to that of the wooden coffin - the coffin has got to be strong to be carried - and just on the shoulders!!

Might be a very bad idea if your back is playing up.

expressandstar.com/200…ut/

ive done it b4 with 5 others, not heavy at all mate its spread between the 6 and ull b fine, even with a bad back, its a little uncomfortable trying to walk in unison

i carried a coffin, there was only 4 of us doing so, we managed fine, too many other things to think about than the weight of it. With 6 of you the load wont be heavy....at least not as heavy as the burden of doing it.

Original Poster Banned

I can take the weight normally easily but just worried with my back way it is at mo, I dont want it to go mid way through and kinda worried about dropping it

ODB_69;3561157

I can take the weight normally easily but just worried with my back way … I can take the weight normally easily but just worried with my back way it is at mo, I dont want it to go mid way through and kinda worried about dropping it

dont do it then. If you are genuinely concerned about your back...dont do it.

Original Poster Banned

shanecr;3561176

dont do it then. If you are genuinely concerned about your back...dont do … dont do it then. If you are genuinely concerned about your back...dont do it.

I can take the pain so long as I know the weight...

No way I cant do it tbh

shanecr;3561176

dont do it then. If you are genuinely concerned about your back...dont do … dont do it then. If you are genuinely concerned about your back...dont do it.

u have 2 options

say u cant do it coz of ur back

or

take the middle position, the two people on ur side would b able to take the weight easily without u helping, u cud literally walk with ur hand on the coffin and put no weight on it.

Banned

just make sure you are in the middle and you will be fine.

hopefully you will be smaller than the rest of the bearers.....

Original Poster Banned

I'm 6 3 so the shorter thing aint gonna work...I'll be one of the tallest

Banned

If all 6 of you are approx same in height there wont be a massive weight load for anyone, as others have said take middle position, this is the last thing you will ever do for this person, hope everything goes as well as can be expected x

Original Poster Banned

Thanks JB xx

you really can't afford to take chances where your back is concerned .. If it were me I would opt out of this one as it's no joke to put your back out & be in pain for weeks!

Original Poster Banned

snowtiger;3561336

you really can't afford to take chances where your back is concerned .. … you really can't afford to take chances where your back is concerned .. If it were me I would opt out of this one as it's no joke to put your back out & be in pain for weeks!

Cant really opt out on this hun or I would

snowtiger;3561336

If it were me I would opt out of this one as it's no joke to put your … If it were me I would opt out of this one as it's no joke to put your back out & be in pain for weeks!

:w00t: Wow bit selfish

roadrunner1;3561401

Looking after yourself & protecting an already dodgy back is hardly being selfish!

Banned

roadrunner1;3561401

if youve ever had back pain then you would know its not being selfish!

backs cannot be replaced ....did you know that?

ODB_69;3561227

I'm 6 3 so the shorter thing aint gonna work...I'll be one of the tallest

6'3"....back problems...one of the tallest there....heavy weight on the shoulders....

....its not looking good big chap....

....heres a thought why dont you get one of those pain blocker gagets from boots....or get the doc to prescibe some whoppin strong pain killers for the day......

btw...dont lean forward if you already have a sore back and are carrying a heavy weight....especially if the pain is mid to lower back or a slipped disc is what you'll end up with....

there was just 4 of us did the old man, u will be fine with 6

being tall might work to your advantage, as you're higher up than the others.. the centre of gravity will be further away from you

ctuk;3561580

being tall might work to your advantage, as you're higher up than the … being tall might work to your advantage, as you're higher up than the others.. the centre of gravity will be further away from you

lol i have no idea how that makes sense, but i found it hard being the tallest as i had to stoop a bit to keep level with the other lads

Banned

If your back is really that bad then you should tell them you cannot do it, taking enough pain killers to feel no pain is a really bad idea, that is how more damage is done, is there no one that can take your place, i am sure the person you will be carrying would not want you to put health at risk

done this (unfortunately) too many times. the weight is spread evenly across all six people. each one puts their arms around the shoulder of the person beside them, then the coffin sits safely on the shoulder and arm of each person. the free arm is used to steady the coffin against your head. it's no strain on your back, but really hits home if the deceased is a loved one.

god bless and all the best. i hope it is a nice funeral.

StevenA2000_uk;3561493

6'3"....back problems...one of the tallest there....heavy weight on the … 6'3"....back problems...one of the tallest there....heavy weight on the shoulders........its not looking good big chap....

Do bearers carry on their shoulders now, done a few, dad, grandad and uncles and always carried it down low. Been to a few more lately and none carried it on their shoulders.

Probably against health and safety guidelines now.

P.s I do suffer from back problems but there is no way I wouldn't do it if asked unless in complete agony.

If we assume the deceased weighed about 13st or 80KG and add around 20KG for the weight, divided six ways, you're looking at an average of 16KG per person. Given that you're tall, you'll be lifting more than that, maybe 20KG+ . A case of 20 cans of beer weighs about 10KG, so if you can carry two cases on your shoulder, that's probably the best way to test whether your back's up to the job or not.

Although, what you'll be doing isn't an easy thing even if you can manage the weight :-(

Apologies about my previous (now deleted) reply. I have a strange and somewhat warped sense of humour.

Personally, I would see if the task could be carried out by someone else. Explain gently that you have a serious back complaint, and maybe suggest that you play another role in proceedings...perhaps say a few words etc. This way, the greiving family will believe that your back problem is serious, but your act of kindness by saying something will make up for not being able to carry the coffin.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2745
    2. How dangerous is Donald trump?1959
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846135
    4. Pink Balls613

See more discussions