Old AlienWare desktop . Value and any good ?

Found 22nd Nov 2012
Hello . I'm thinking about buying my pals old computer . The spec seems very dated but he's not asking a fortune.

Its an Alienware Area 51 Computer

The processor is an AMD Athalon 64 X2 dual core running at 2.40ghz
Has 3gb of Ram but it looks like there are plenty of slots to add more.
There is a 320gb sata Samsung harddrive.
Windows 7 32bit Ultimate is installed.
We both dont really know anything about the graphics or sound cards. It turns on and works perfectly and seems very quiet compared to others computers?

Ill post a picture below . How much should I be looking to pay for it ? Or shouldnt I ?

Thanks in advance

1. Misc
  2. Desktop
19 Comments

Original Poster

http://i49.tinypic.com/b7e1dj.jpg

Inb4 tree fiddy.

You really need to find out what graphics card is in it.

greenmachine12

You really need to find out what graphics card is in it.

This, the majority of the worth could be from the graphics card. I don't know what you plan on using it for but being a 32-bit version of Windows it is an old machine and I would imagine everything except the PSU and case will need replacing if you are planning on upgrading it to a modern gaming standard (probably why he is selling it). Otherwise it'll be a perfectly function everyday machine.

Banned

theres a quad core on ebay for £400 at the mo. and a mental dual core i7 with 11gb ram for £800... there4 this model must be worth £200.
Edited by: "ewwaxo" 22nd Nov 2012

Original Poster

Domislice

This, the majority of the worth could be from the graphics card. I don't … This, the majority of the worth could be from the graphics card. I don't know what you plan on using it for but being a 32-bit version of Windows it is an old machine and I would imagine everything except the PSU and case will need replacing if you are planning on upgrading it to a modern gaming standard (probably why he is selling it). Otherwise it'll be a perfectly function everyday machine.

Well I feel like remissing my youth and using it for online gaming,but maybe not the newest games . One called counterstrike , but not even the new one the 1.6 version which as I seem to recall didnt need an over the top machine .

Find out what the graphics card is. It could be one that, although a few generations behind modern standards, will run what you want it for adequately. Dell did use top end GPUs in some of their Alienware builds which would still be okay by standards now. If you do want to run modern games though this is honestly a poor investment unless the price is low. Although the case and PSU should be fine, the problem is the processor and replacing it with a modern one will 99% require a new motherboard (i'm not clued up on legacy AMD processor sockets). So it's worth looking out the motherboard model too.

Counterstrike, as in Half-Life Counterstrike? It is a fair age; I know it was popular and Valve supported it well, but is it even compatible with Windows 7 machines?

Original Poster

Thanks all for your replys . I shall try and get a gfx card model . However he is wanting £150 for it , so goingo the info you have replied with , doesnt seem a bad deal .

Domislice , yes it was the half life CS which runs off steam . Im not even sure if it runs off windows 7 that never even entered my head tbh .

Original Poster

BTW I think dell didnt make this machine,pretty sure it was built before dell took over ?

RudiBryson

Thanks all for your replys . I shall try and get a gfx card model . … Thanks all for your replys . I shall try and get a gfx card model . However he is wanting £150 for it , so goingo the info you have replied with , doesnt seem a bad deal .Domislice , yes it was the half life CS which runs off steam . Im not even sure if it runs off windows 7 that never even entered my head tbh .

Another problem is that, even if CS has continued to be supported, as you move through the Operating Systems the minimum specifications increase dramatically. You could have run it on, say, a Pentium II 450mhz on Windows 95 back in the day, but a Windows 7 version would need something like a 1.6ghz dual core (for example). A friend of mine has an original M17 Alienware laptop and the build quality is fantastic so assuming the same here the case might be worth a few quid, provided the styling is to your taste. Plus the mystery GPU. I would guess £150 is about right. Given a blow inside and a clean software install it'll make a fine everyday browsing / media machine as is.

RudiBryson

Thanks all for your replys . I shall try and get a gfx card model . … Thanks all for your replys . I shall try and get a gfx card model . However he is wanting £150 for it , so goingo the info you have replied with , doesnt seem a bad deal .Domislice , yes it was the half life CS which runs off steam . Im not even sure if it runs off windows 7 that never even entered my head tbh .

Should be able to run CS on windows 7.

Original Poster

I never realised that domislice. I was of the thinking if my old time (cringes) machine ran it back in the day then this surely would. Didn't know that moving different operating systems effected it

RudiBryson

I never realised that domislice. I was of the thinking if my old time … I never realised that domislice. I was of the thinking if my old time (cringes) machine ran it back in the day then this surely would. Didn't know that moving different operating systems effected it

I've just checked the minimum specs. for Counter-Strike on Steam and I overstated it a little. If you wanted to play the true original, it recommends an 800mhz processor and effectively any graphics card. You'll probably find it has aged badly though and I would aim to play the updated version, Counter-Strike Source. Provided the GPU in this Alienware is okay you'll be at about the recommended specifications so it's ideal.

Banned

150 sounds decent. the case alone is worth 145

Original Poster

Ok the gfx card is the ATI fire pro 2260... Is this terrible?

Banned

4 to 5 year old graphics card. from what I have seen, I wouldnt deem this a gaming card but notice they were put in Aurora systems.

Iss the OS Windows XP, or has it been upgraded? I would personally put XP on it and play CS that way, or upgrade the graphics card to something a bit newer, but then where do you stop, Memory, Hard Drive, Motherboard.

You are restricted, because the moment you want to upgrade memory, processor or motherboard, you are going to have to do all 3 at the same time!!

yeah, the price seems reasonable to me.

Original Poster

AndyC1971

4 to 5 year old graphics card. from what I have seen, I wouldnt deem this … 4 to 5 year old graphics card. from what I have seen, I wouldnt deem this a gaming card but notice they were put in Aurora systems.Iss the OS Windows XP, or has it been upgraded? I would personally put XP on it and play CS that way, or upgrade the graphics card to something a bit newer, but then where do you stop, Memory, Hard Drive, Motherboard.You are restricted, because the moment you want to upgrade memory, processor or motherboard, you are going to have to do all 3 at the same time!! yeah, the price seems reasonable to me.

Ok so would all the newer bits I buy fit in an older case like this ? like the latest processor etc ( sorry total nub with stuff like this )

Banned

It looks to me like its an ATX case. if it is, then it would be fine. Would need to see a photo of the back to confirm. Lets breakdown what is in the PC.

I suspect its from 2008-2009.

Motherboard
Processor
RAM

Hard Drive

CD/DVD Rom/Writer

Graphics Card

Power Supply

it might have a floppy drive.

If you were wanting to upgrade either the processor, RAM or Motherboard, then you will probably have to change all 3.

If you want to change the graphics card, you can, but you wont be able to go 'cutting edge' as the motherboard will not take it, but you would be able to improve the specification and capabilities of the one you already have.

The remainder, will/should be compatible for all systems, but again it depends on the connector type whether its IDE or SATA.

If your purpose is to upgrade everything, do video editing, wanting to play newer games or watching HD films, then my advice would be not to purchase this, as you could put the money to something alot newer and get a better specced system.

If you are wanting it to for internet, music, documents, and the odd game of CS, then i suspect its fine, but I would downgrade to XP to do all of this.

Just my opinion of course, and there are several people on here, much better qualified than me to advise

Original Poster

Thanks so much Andy for taking time. What would downgrading to XP do ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions