Old boiler using a lot of gas

Found 20th Feb 2012
Hi we moved into our house 3 months ago, and have an Ideal Mexico freestanding boiler wich was installed when the house was new in the early 1980's. I've just had the quarterly gas bill which has been read and is nearly £300!. We run the boiler for 2.5 hours in the morning and 4.5 hours in the evening, we have a room termostat which is set on 25 deg and all of the rads open to full (because it feels cold in here), and the boiler running on 4 out of 6. The water is obviously scalding hot but the house just doesn't feel warm, yet i'm using loads of gas. Big question should I replace the boiler, in the hope that the £300 bills will be reduced. BTW we have full double glazing and live in a 4 bed semi. Any help would be most appreciated Sar.
Community Updates
MiscBoiler
54 Comments
Any cavity wall insulation?

25deg for a room stat is excessively high, ours hasn't been above 19 this year
Cavity wall and loft insulation?

Thermostatic valves fitted to the all of the radiators?
same thought here 25 deg oO must be like a sauna, ours hasn't been above 19 either ! I'm hoping for a rebate.
TBH I use my heating less and same 4bed semi, my bills are higher than yours
We had our quarterly bill on the 8th Feb £584.02
Changed mine form a glow worm free standing to a Ariston 38Kw.
Bill has dropped from £75 per month to £30 per month and house is always warm.
Well worth the cost to change. Check round for pricing before geting anyone in to do it £800 is about right for a good boiler
whatsThePoint

the bill will reduce if you replace it, but you won't recoup the cost of … the bill will reduce if you replace it, but you won't recoup the cost of a new boiler

This.

We have a boiler with about 67% efficiency, upgrading to a new one will cost thousands and take a seriously long time for me to recoup that outlay, even if it's 90%+ efficient.
graham.evans

Changed mine form a glow worm free standing to a Ariston 38Kw.Bill has … Changed mine form a glow worm free standing to a Ariston 38Kw.Bill has dropped from £75 per month to £30 per month and house is always warm.Well worth the cost to change. Check round for pricing before geting anyone in to do it £800 is about right for a good boiler

A decent Worcester Bosch boiler is c.£1k, plus fitting costs (in my case removing a back boiler, installing the new one elsewhere) and any making good. Not much change from £2000 minimum in my opinion.

You save £45 per month that your heating is on, let's be generous and say it's on for 6 months, meaning it would take over 7 years for you to get that money back. Depends on how long you want to stay in that house

Edited by: "sancho1983" 20th Feb 2012
We need a new boiler too, ours is apparently less than 60% effective. Luckily it would just be a case of changing the current combi boiler for a new one, already have all the thermostat and the valves etc, I expect it would come between £1200-£1500.
25C??? the work office can't even get to that temperature and it has a modern condenser boiler lol
Degeneratemoo

We need a new boiler too, ours is apparently less than 60% effective. … We need a new boiler too, ours is apparently less than 60% effective. Luckily it would just be a case of changing the current combi boiler for a new one, already have all the thermostat and the valves etc, I expect it would come between £1200-£1500.

Just had our combi replaced with a 90-odd% efficient Worcester by British Gas. £2.5k oO
Boilers2go give you an idea on prices etc.
I would start here,

energysavingtrust.org.uk/

I think it would be worth looking at insulation of the house first as at the moment there are plenty of offers and still some grants for cavity and loft insulation, also worth speaking to your local council about what info they can help you with....

As for changing the boiler especially with changing from a freestanding boiler to a different type then sancho is right it would take many years to recoup the costs

Thanks everyone for your contributions, deffo food for thought, we are due to get cavity wall insulation done next month, we have the max amount of lagging in the loft and tvr's on all radiators. We had a quote for a worcester bosch 30cdi, removal of old system, and resiting new boiler in airing cupboard, a flush, new tvrs and labour for £2,800.
deek72

Just had our combi replaced with a 90-odd% efficient Worcester by British … Just had our combi replaced with a 90-odd% efficient Worcester by British Gas. £2.5k oO

Thats your 100% markup then. Had complete CH fitted for a shade over £3k, identical system was quoted at £6.5k by British Gas (but they did *promise* that the quote was fixed price, and offer £400 off for our old boiler, not that we had one. Thanks.)

Worth considering that the 'real world' [ie inflation adjusted] cost of gas went up about 80% between 2005 and 2010. If that continues, keeping you old boiler may rapidly become a false economy...
r_ron09

Thanks everyone for your contributions, deffo food for thought, we are … Thanks everyone for your contributions, deffo food for thought, we are due to get cavity wall insulation done next month, we have the max amount of lagging in the loft and tvr's on all radiators. We had a quote for a worcester bosch 30cdi, removal of old system, and resiting new boiler in airing cupboard, a flush, new tvrs and labour for £2,800.

we've got a 3 bed semi, had that crap warm air system, so we had a complete new heating system fitted, had the hot water tank & the header tanks in the loft ripped out, new combi boiler fitted in the airing cupboard & 7 radiators with tvr's, magnaclean etc etc just a tad shy of £3.5k
sancho1983

Any cavity wall insulation?25deg for a room stat is excessively high, … Any cavity wall insulation?25deg for a room stat is excessively high, ours hasn't been above 19 this year

The house doesn't even feel 25 deg, in our old house I used to run ours on 19 deg, could the stat be faulty and it not actually reaching the 25 deg? I know because it is an old boiler we have lots of vents that go through the wall for ventilation, and so let a breeze through the house.
deek72

Just had our combi replaced with a 90-odd% efficient Worcester by British … Just had our combi replaced with a 90-odd% efficient Worcester by British Gas. £2.5k oO

As already posted British gas massively overcharge, we were quoted over £3k which is a joke. We'll likely get the boiler fitted in a few months ready for later in the year.
Degeneratemoo

As already posted British gas massively overcharge, we were quoted over … As already posted British gas massively overcharge, we were quoted over £3k which is a joke. We'll likely get the boiler fitted in a few months ready for later in the year.

I agree that it's expensive. It's just that we feel comfortable with them. We've had homecare for quite a few years and they ALWAYS came out next day to fix the old one, and often the same day if we called early enough.
deek72

I agree that it's expensive. It's just that we feel comfortable with … I agree that it's expensive. It's just that we feel comfortable with them. We've had homecare for quite a few years and they ALWAYS came out next day to fix the old one, and often the same day if we called early enough.

peace of mind & knowing who you are dealing with, sometimes is a big plus.
Edited by: "richp" 20th Feb 2012
i think we will all be looking at a big bill for the last 3 months, my house would never reach 25 it is a really cold house, have double glazing (although it is old and crap) loft insulation and cavity wall insulation, and my house struggles to reach 21 let alone 25, my gas bill for the last 3 months is £300 the highest its ever been and still not warm and cosy
I agree peace of mind is important, but British gas will still service the boiler, regardless of who fitted it.

I think I'd rather get recommendations from people and save myself ~£1k.
Edited by: "Degeneratemoo" 20th Feb 2012
deek72

Did you not shop around so you wouldn't get ripped off by BG?
I had a full heating system fitted in an old 4 bed Victorian house (so big double rads in most rooms) for £3k about 15 months ago!

Old boiler using a lot of gas

Tell her to take shallow breaths...
We have an oil heating system and have been told that if we get it flushed then it'll be more effective. Would this help with gas central heating? I don't know much about this stuff, sorry.
Bloody hell, I was possed off when Scottish Power up my combined gas and elec to £68 per month for my 3 bed terrace oO

OP - suggest you check your loft insulation pronto and start using this which should make you turn the thermo down !
Edited by: "tallpete33" 21st Feb 2012
colinsunderland

Did you not shop around so you wouldn't get ripped off by BG?I had a full … Did you not shop around so you wouldn't get ripped off by BG?I had a full heating system fitted in an old 4 bed Victorian house (so big double rads in most rooms) for £3k about 15 months ago!

I had a boiler replaced a year ago (pipes flushed a new water tank and a bit of plumbing) - We got 5 quotes all were over 3K (we ended up going with a friends recommendation at about 3.5K. I reckon the heating engineers in our area are running a cartel to fix prices high
If a boiler is about £800, other parts maybe another £200, why on earth is it costing over £3000 in total? If it's a straight swap, combi for a combi, it will take about 1 full day. £2000 for a days labour is extortionate... I'm in the wrong job.
I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. Boiler would stay on for ages but the rooms would remain cold.

In the end, I got free cavity wall and loft insulation from British Gas. They had an offer for existing customers which I took the benefit of. Even without replacing the boiler I noticed an immediate difference.

Then a couple of months later I had the boiler replaced. Had a Vaillant Eco 29 and some new double rads in the bedrooms above.

Now my house is nice and cosy. Firstly we dont put th heating on that much cause of the insulation. Then when we do put the heating on its on for no more than an 1 hr or 1.5 hours and when really cold no more than 2 hours and the house stays warm.
WTF! - 25 degrees and your HW is scalding hot! What else did you expect?

£300 sounds cheap for that temperature over winter!

We have HW set to 50 degrees and CH set to 19. Plenty warm enough with a sweater on. I'd be opening windows if our house got to 25 degrees!

Turn your HW thermostat down as why would you want scalding hot water?

Edited by: "csiman" 21st Feb 2012
Deek you have been ripped off

We had radiators fitted in 5 rooms and the boiler moved into the bathroom cupboard upstairs 18 months ago for £2k.

I rang Npower yesterday because my bill has doubled in the last few months oO
I need my radiators sorted cold spots galore with the added effect of really crappy double glazing I need all the heat I can get but wouldnt know where to start to remove the cold spots.
Nailez

I need my radiators sorted cold spots galore with the added effect of … I need my radiators sorted cold spots galore with the added effect of really crappy double glazing I need all the heat I can get but wouldnt know where to start to remove the cold spots.

Get a blanket
Isnt too bad for me but the breeze that comes through isnt good for the little one.
Nailez

Isnt too bad for me but the breeze that comes through isnt good for the … Isnt too bad for me but the breeze that comes through isnt good for the little one.

I don't like draughts.

Good luck!
Nailez

I need my radiators sorted cold spots galore with the added effect of … I need my radiators sorted cold spots galore with the added effect of really crappy double glazing I need all the heat I can get but wouldnt know where to start to remove the cold spots.

bleed the radiators. 1 min job per rad.
Does anyone know what Potterton boilers are like?
csiman

WTF! - 25 degrees and your HW is scalding hot! What else did you … WTF! - 25 degrees and your HW is scalding hot! What else did you expect?£300 sounds cheap for that temperature over winter!We have HW set to 50 degrees and CH set to 19. Plenty warm enough with a sweater on. I'd be opening windows if our house got to 25 degrees!Turn your HW thermostat down as why would you want scalding hot water?

We can't change the temperature the water gets to, and although the room stat is set to 25 deg it never gets there it only gets to about 18 deg tops. The boiler seems to be putting all its heat to the hot water and within the cupboard it is housed in.
2sly

I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. Boiler would stay on … I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. Boiler would stay on for ages but the rooms would remain cold.In the end, I got free cavity wall and loft insulation from British Gas. They had an offer for existing customers which I took the benefit of. Even without replacing the boiler I noticed an immediate difference.Then a couple of months later I had the boiler replaced. Had a Vaillant Eco 29 and some new double rads in the bedrooms above.Now my house is nice and cosy. Firstly we dont put th heating on that much cause of the insulation. Then when we do put the heating on its on for no more than an 1 hr or 1.5 hours and when really cold no more than 2 hours and the house stays warm.

Have you noticed if your bills have reduced considerably since doing the boiler change and insulation? we are due to get our cavity walls done next month
we changed to a baxi boiler from a old 70s thing and saving big time now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants