Old debt

Posted 10th Sep
Morning all, ok in the past I have been financially promiscuous. Out the blue this morning I’ve had a call from Capquest wanting money for an old t mobile account (9 years old). This has not been on my credit karma, clear score or credit wise credit reports.

After speaking with the advisor she confirmed that the account in question is statute barred and will close the account etc.

My question, will this now show up on my credit report? And then have to wait 6 years for it to disappear again.
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
Legally the limitations on debt is 6 years, they can still chase you for it, but legally they cant do anything, I expect that if you defaulted on payments it would of happened a long time ago and that default will of been and gone by now, esp T-Mobile, they would of registered a default after 6 late payments.

Its better in fact to not even acknowledge it, as I have heard that debts can be reinforced if a point of contact is made and you admit to owing the debt, doubtful but it can happen but this is usually on debts less than 6 years old.. I suspect Cap quest are just trying their luck on expired accounts, I worked in debt recovery for years, you will be surprised how many of these old accounts companies buy for a few quid each and then they get something back from people with no knowledge of consumer law and debt management.

Alternatively if you do want to speak to them, make sure you ask for the consumer credit agreement before you agree to anything.. but even if you get that remember after 6 years has elapsed then they legally cant enforce the debt.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 10th Sep
If you do choose to speak to them, make sure you record any call you make. I would first seek legal advice with Citizens Advice Bureau or StepChange or post it on the MSE forum.
ncd10/09/2020 15:33

If you do choose to speak to them, make sure you record any call you make. …If you do choose to speak to them, make sure you record any call you make. I would first seek legal advice with Citizens Advice Bureau or StepChange or post it on the MSE forum.

Don’t call them. At all. Only communicate in writing.
Sounds like they are having it on, as already stated debt can't be chased that many years later, it would be easy for some unscrupulous company to invent false debt for people years old who with no paperwork stretching back nearly a decade will assume they are guilty and just pay the fines due to scare tactics whether debt was ever real or not, most likely the collection agency bought the supposed debt very cheap and trying it on in hopes that it's true or they can trick people into paying for it, the fact it's now a defunct company adds more suspicion to the situation.

One example of a scenario could be that if you had paper bills years ago and didn't correctly shred them these could have been collected by those who would search out these details in order to pull scams like this i.e. sell on false debt to a collection agency for not much but it adds up if they find enough personal information to sell on.

As has already been said such an old debt mysteriously turning up has no legality to it, just ignore the scare tactics.

ncd10/09/2020 15:33

If you do choose to speak to them, make sure you record any call you make. …If you do choose to speak to them, make sure you record any call you make. I would first seek legal advice with Citizens Advice Bureau or StepChange or post it on the MSE forum.

Actually do this, better safe then sorry.
I have spoken with them, I’ve started paying all my others anyways. However when she said T-Mobile debt I knew it was well beyond. As I’m sure I got and defaulted that around the time my daughter was born over 9 years ago. I will await the letter, and failing that she said all calls are recorded, that call will have her confirming it’s gone past the legal collection part. I’m just hoping that it doesn’t reappear on my credit file. If they try the dark arts then I’ll happily prove it in court. Thanks for your advice all, maybe I should have asked for it before I spoke with them lol
chrisdwiliams10/09/2020 15:55

I have spoken with them, I’ve started paying all my others anyways. H …I have spoken with them, I’ve started paying all my others anyways. However when she said T-Mobile debt I knew it was well beyond. As I’m sure I got and defaulted that around the time my daughter was born over 9 years ago. I will await the letter, and failing that she said all calls are recorded, that call will have her confirming it’s gone past the legal collection part. I’m just hoping that it doesn’t reappear on my credit file. If they try the dark arts then I’ll happily prove it in court. Thanks for your advice all, maybe I should have asked for it before I spoke with them lol

They wont be able to put it back on your credit file, it isn't the debt recovery company who puts the default on, its the company that gave you the credit account to begin with, T-Mobile will of already done that, and its elapsed after 6 years, on top of that Its Cap Quest making recovery now so they have no authorisation to log anything on your credit file, only search it and doing so will cost them money each time they do.

Being in debt can be very stressful and hard work to sort out, its good to hear you are doing that, make sure your mental health is in order though mate and the anxiety and depression it can bring on is tangible, do not struggle alone, there are charities that can help you with repaying debt, National Debt Advice is a great one to offer support. they could even advise you with this over the legality of it.

I do not mean to patronise you, just to ensure you get the help you might need.
MrSprkle10/09/2020 18:25

They wont be able to put it back on your credit file, it isn't the debt …They wont be able to put it back on your credit file, it isn't the debt recovery company who puts the default on, its the company that gave you the credit account to begin with, T-Mobile will of already done that, and its elapsed after 6 years, on top of that Its Cap Quest making recovery now so they have no authorisation to log anything on your credit file, only search it and doing so will cost them money each time they do. Being in debt can be very stressful and hard work to sort out, its good to hear you are doing that, make sure your mental health is in order though mate and the anxiety and depression it can bring on is tangible, do not struggle alone, there are charities that can help you with repaying debt, National Debt Advice is a great one to offer support. they could even advise you with this over the legality of it.I do not mean to patronise you, just to ensure you get the help you might need.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be honest, being in debt didn’t really bother me. I was one of those that buried their heads in the sand. Although I think that maybe all them years ago I may have been. You offer £50 they want £100 etc. The way they are now is a lot more friendly.

Being a single dad and turned 35 I thought now would be a good time to grow up. 2 ccjs dropped off my account 2 months ago, although still payable so set up a fiver a month. And one was about to go to county court but they accepted a fiver too. In actual fact they even said that I could pay a pound a month if I wanted to.

I’ve got things on credit now, and credit cards to pay. However it’s great seeing my credit a score go from 80 in October last year (not even kidding) up to 280 (still a abysmal) and as long as I carry on by the time I’m 45 I might be able to get a 0% credit card
chrisdwiliams10/09/2020 18:34

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be honest, being in debt didn’t really bother m …Thanks for the advice. I’ll be honest, being in debt didn’t really bother me. I was one of those that buried their heads in the sand. Although I think that maybe all them years ago I may have been. You offer £50 they want £100 etc. The way they are now is a lot more friendly. Being a single dad and turned 35 I thought now would be a good time to grow up. 2 ccjs dropped off my account 2 months ago, although still payable so set up a fiver a month. And one was about to go to county court but they accepted a fiver too. In actual fact they even said that I could pay a pound a month if I wanted to. I’ve got things on credit now, and credit cards to pay. However it’s great seeing my credit a score go from 80 in October last year (not even kidding) up to 280 (still a abysmal) and as long as I carry on by the time I’m 45 I might be able to get a 0% credit card

Its never to late to sort it out, fair play sounds like you have it in hand.
Sounds like it's an old debt that you remember owing. It shouldn't have any affect on your credit file but the balance is still outstanding. As previous poster said they've probably bought it for a small amount and are trying to collect. Given the age may be worth a settlement offer if you can afford it maybe 10% of balance if they accept happy days and it will never rear its ugly head again. Perhaps the payment is worth the peace of mind.
Just say you don’t know what they are talking about. It will of already been on your credit file and fell off after the 6th year. They can’t put it back on..
Bargainhead10/09/2020 21:06

Just say you don’t know what they are talking about. It will of already b …Just say you don’t know what they are talking about. It will of already been on your credit file and fell off after the 6th year. They can’t put it back on..

I was just about to like your other comment but it’s disappeared. Yes you are correct. Financially promiscuous in previous years. However everything I’ve got now is on credit, and you’ll be pleased to hear all my accounts are in order. Hence why my score goes up every month.
Felicitous10/09/2020 15:47

Sounds like they are having it on, as already stated debt can't be chased …Sounds like they are having it on, as already stated debt can't be chased that many years later, it would be easy for some unscrupulous company to invent false debt for people years old who with no paperwork stretching back nearly a decade will assume they are guilty and just pay the fines due to scare tactics whether debt was ever real or not, most likely the collection agency bought the supposed debt very cheap and trying it on in hopes that it's true or they can trick people into paying for it, the fact it's now a defunct company adds more suspicion to the situation.One example of a scenario could be that if you had paper bills years ago and didn't correctly shred them these could have been collected by those who would search out these details in order to pull scams like this i.e. sell on false debt to a collection agency for not much but it adds up if they find enough personal information to sell on.As has already been said such an old debt mysteriously turning up has no legality to it, just ignore the scare tactics.Actually do this, better safe then sorry.

To be fair capquest was the original debt company all those years ago, just couldn’t remember what the debt was till she said T-Mobile. I will await their letter, and take it from there. My only concern at this moment is that it doesn’t poke back up on my report, however everyone’s saying that shouldn’t happen.
chrisdwiliams10/09/2020 21:23

To be fair capquest was the original debt company all those years ago, …To be fair capquest was the original debt company all those years ago, just couldn’t remember what the debt was till she said T-Mobile. I will await their letter, and take it from there. My only concern at this moment is that it doesn’t poke back up on my report, however everyone’s saying that shouldn’t happen.

The point about a settlement offer is valid, at 9 years old, you could argue about 75-80% off if you can afford to pay 25% of the bill.
chrisdwiliams10/09/2020 21:17

I was just about to like your other comment but it’s disappeared. Yes you a …I was just about to like your other comment but it’s disappeared. Yes you are correct. Financially promiscuous in previous years. However everything I’ve got now is on credit, and you’ll be pleased to hear all my accounts are in order. Hence why my score goes up every month.

I deleted straight away, not my place to say that. Sometimes I just say what comes into my head without thinking of the person.. I think most people buy something on credit just most don’t own from none payment..

the only thing i pay intrest on is my mortgage. Everything else is interest free. If I do buy on a card I pay off fully to avoid interest..
Post a comment
@
    Text