Old laptop upgrade question

Found 2nd Jun
Hi guys,

Quick query if I may. Got an old laptop, it has Core i7 quad 2760QM (TurboBoosts upto 3.50 GHz), 28GB RAM, Samsung 850 SSD. Speed is okay, nothing exceptional, slightly laggy sometimes, e.g. when I have 60-80 tabs open / switch between excel and other database software (it doesn't run out of RAM, just saturates the SATA 3 I think).

Say if I were to switch to 6-7th gen quad / with NVMe SSD, etc - would I notice much of an upgrade? (imagine that 8th gen 6 cores will be too costly).
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Might sound daft but have you tried swapping browser cache from ssd to memory as this gives a good speed boost with lots of browser Windows open or are you talking about somethi g else?
Not a helpful comment I know, but I don't think I would even know of 80 websites / apps let alone have 80 open, after about 5 I hate seeing them and close them down.
No need for 60-80 tabs - focus.
Sounds like your working for your browser...

33906438-8heH9.jpg

You have 28GB of RAM thats overkill for anything! so why not take 12GB of that ram and make a ramdisk
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 3rd Jun
zzzz23 m ago

No need for 60-80 tabs - focus.

How on earth do you do research? Depending on your browser's tab handling it can be a lot easier to leave relevant tabs open than to bookmark them and re-open every time you need to reference them.

Back on topic, it's difficult to tell as it's not something's that's often benchmarked. I suspect the higher single core speed, better memory bandwidth and the ability to put in a faster drive would help, but which of them is most important and whether they'd help enough is a tricky question.
I can't see which tab is which once I have maybe 20+ - With 80 I suppose then it becomes a game of pin the donkey on the tail.
MrSprkle1 h, 33 m ago

Sounds like your working for your browser...[Image] You have 28GB of RAM …Sounds like your working for your browser...[Image] You have 28GB of RAM thats overkill for anything! so why not take 12GB of that ram and make a ramdisk

Thanks for the replies guys.
By default have switched off the page file as the RAM isn't running out.
Have installed ramdesk with the browser cache - hopefully I can hold off for a bit longer, before getting the next one. Have seen a laptop in the office with 960 Evo - it's just super responsive. Still looking forward to the m.2 upgrade at some point.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions