Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value

Found 20th Sep 2017
The deadline for spending old round £1 coins is fast approaching – after Sunday 15 October they’ll no longer be legal tender. But before you rush to get rid of your old coins, turn ’em over. Some might be worth more than their face value, with a few even fetching up to £20…

We’ve been telling you for months to spend or deposit your old £1 coins before you can no longer spend them. That still applies – but before you do so, double-check if you have a rarer design.

Since the ’round pound’ was first minted in 1983, there have been a total of 24 different designs in circulation. Of these, the ‘Royal Arms’ is the most common, with over 600 million produced. If you’ve one of these, it’s unlikely to be worth more than its face value.

Yet if you’re lucky enough to find a £1 coin with a less widely circulated design, it may be worth listing it for sale to make a few extra quid.

Now, it’s important not to get carried away. These coins, while less common, aren’t exactly rare – and sceptics point out there are many more out there than likely buyers. But people DO sell these coins for more than their face value all the time.

When we looked, we found over 2,000 £1 coins had been sold on eBay in the last week alone – with over 450 completed sales of the Edinburgh design and over 260 of the London one (as described below).

The £1 coins to look out for – and what they can shift for

If you’ve one of these coins knocking around, you could be quids in – though it goes without saying that prices can change, there are no guarantees, and ‘mint-condition’ coins are likely to fetch more than those that have been in the wars.

The Scotland: Thistle and Bluebell £1. Issued in 2014, this coin from north of the border is considered “scarce”, with five million minted. It regularly fetches between £3.50-£5 on eBay.

England: London £1. This coin was issued in 2010 as part of the Royal Mint’s series of £1 coins to commemorate the four constituent countries of the UK. Some are worthmore than others, but this London design is considered “very scarce”, with just over 2.5 million minted. This coin is regularly listed on eBay and currently fetches between £6.50- £10 – a tidy profit on its face value.

Wales: Cardiff City £1. This coin is also “very scarce”, with just over 1.5 million minted. The coin was issued during 2011 and shows the Coat of Arms of Cardiff representing Wales. We found two of these listed as sold on eBay this month for £14.99 each.

Scotland: Edinburgh City £1. Issued in 2011, this is considered THE most scarce £1 coin available. Fewer than one million were minted – so if you’ve got one, it’s probably a waste to spend it. On eBay, these regularly fetch up to £20 a time, though some rarer uncirculated versions – often displayed in a commemorative box – have sold for up to £60.

The list above isn’t exhaustive. The coin collector website Change Checker says four more designs which are more widely in circulation than those listed above are still considered “less common”. These are (from left to right, below) the ‘Northern Ireland: Flax and Shamrock’, the ‘Daffodil and Leek’, the ‘Rose and Oak Branch’ and the ‘Belfast City’ £1 coins. On eBay, these coins seem to fetch between £3 and £5 each.
Community Updates
Misc
16 Comments
I collect £2 coins and 50ps (and I've got about 15aa £5 notes and 2 ak47) I'm keeping them for, well I don't know what. I'm thinking they will be worth more then their face value in the future. I collect every £2 coins that I haven't already got so I hopefully end up with one of each. Same with 50ps. I've got a edinbrough £1 coin which I'm keeping but I don't know if I should keep any more.

Im HopiNg I'll be able to help my daughter pay for uni or driving lessons or something useful when she's abit older. But half the people I who know I collect say it's a load of rubbish, not worth anything more then their face value etc, specially with the £5 notes. It annoys me because I really think in the future they will be worth more. Even if it's just £10 a piece I'll be happy.

ive also wondered if I should keep and £10 but I think that's probably a waste of time.. what do you think?
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 20th Sep 2017
LeahsMintytoutou2 m ago

I collect £2 coins and 50ps (and I've got about 15aa £5 notes and 2 ak47) I …I collect £2 coins and 50ps (and I've got about 15aa £5 notes and 2 ak47) I'm keeping them for, well I don't know what. I'm thinking they will be worth more then their face value in the future. I collect every £2 coins that I haven't already got so I hopefully end up with one of each. Same with 50ps. I've got a edinbrough £1 coin which I'm keeping but I don't know if I should keep any more. Im HopiNg I'll be able to help my daughter pay for uni or driving lessons or something useful when she's abit older. But half the people I who know I collect say it's a load of rubbish, not worth anything more then their face value etc, specially with the £5 notes. It annoys me because I really think in the future they will be worth more. Even if it's just £10 a piece I'll be happy.

Keep your Edinburgh £1, I paid £7 for one recently

Hoping some of these £1 may jump like the Kew Gardens 50p, now selling for £70+ which I paid £9 for
reindeer3335 m ago

Keep your Edinburgh £1, I paid £7 for one recently Hoping some of t …Keep your Edinburgh £1, I paid £7 for one recently Hoping some of these £1 may jump like the Kew Gardens 50p, now selling for £70+ which I paid £9 for

Wow good profit! A woman who works in my local post office got a Kew Gardens 50p last week. Was soooo jealous
LeahsMintytoutou3 m ago

Wow good profit! A woman who works in my local post office got a Kew …Wow good profit! A woman who works in my local post office got a Kew Gardens 50p last week. Was soooo jealous

Haven't sold it yet

Yes there are still some around, I heard of someone finding one the other week! Maybe go to the bank and get £1000 worth of 50p's
reindeer3339 m ago

Haven't sold it yet Yes there are still some around, I heard of …Haven't sold it yet Yes there are still some around, I heard of someone finding one the other week! Maybe go to the bank and get £1000 worth of 50p's

I have done that with £20 a few times
stopped doing it as i I barely ever got one I hadn't already got. I work in a shop so I got most of them through there at the end of my shift I'd swap what I'd find. Much to the annoyance of my a couple of staff.
I wonder if you can ask the cashier in a bank to see if they have certain designs. I've noticed they all seem to be the same design in each bag of the 50s and I've seen people selling whole bags of peter rabbit ones for example. (I've got all of those too) my friends think I'm sad lol
LeahsMintytoutou7 m ago

I have done that with £20 a few times stopped doing it as i I barely …I have done that with £20 a few times stopped doing it as i I barely ever got one I hadn't already got. I work in a shop so I got most of them through there at the end of my shift I'd swap what I'd find. Much to the annoyance of my a couple of staff. I wonder if you can ask the cashier in a bank to see if they have certain designs. I've noticed they all seem to be the same design in each bag of the 50s and I've seen people selling whole bags of peter rabbit ones for example. (I've got all of those too) my friends think I'm sad lol

It is not sad at all Nothing wrong with making some money! I have wondered where they get the full bags too, it must be from some of the banks. I have had no success trying to get the bags either
reindeer3337 h, 40 m ago

Keep your Edinburgh £1, I paid £7 for one recently Hoping some of t …Keep your Edinburgh £1, I paid £7 for one recently Hoping some of these £1 may jump like the Kew Gardens 50p, now selling for £70+ which I paid £9 for

I've misplaced both of these - probably gave them to kids/grandkids, still got Belfast pound and what looks like Gateshead bridge.

I often put odd/different designed coins aside, my son has been looking for the rugby world cup £2 coin - I've got it.

P.S. Just got £2 coin with Fire of London - nice design.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 20th Sep 2017
thanks ill check the sofa.
reindeer3337 h, 56 m ago

It is not sad at all Nothing wrong with making some money! I have …It is not sad at all Nothing wrong with making some money! I have wondered where they get the full bags too, it must be from some of the banks. I have had no success trying to get the bags either

"Nothing wrong with making some money!"
not always no
I've made a small fortune selling the old £1 coins on eBay a few months ago selling all different designs I've also got the whole collection my self to keep. The way I see it is in a few months time you won't be able to get them as they will all of been melted down so they may hold some value.
32044079-cZrDk.jpg

32044079-shebc.jpg

32044079-Bs7N8.jpg
I have most of those but they are hardly worth selling and i aint selling the welsh dragon one cos it lives in my purse for good luck.
deleted1431257
Just to add, be alert for fakes circulating in the system. A few things to watch out for from personal experience:

- if the alignment with the front queens head and the back design are not level.
- if the coin weighs “lighter than usual”
- if the stamp quality is poor, particularly the back design.
- if the edge inscription is poorly stamped.
- (research and knowledge) if the edge inscription does not match the coin eg “Standing on the shoulders of Giants” on a Welsh Dragon coin.
- (research and knowledge) if the year does not match the coin.
anyone know what the offside rule 50p is worth?
Broxy24th Sep

anyone know what the offside rule 50p is worth?

to a tramp 5 cups of tea
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants