Old PC

Posted 22nd Jun
Hello all,

Bit random but i was sorting out stuff from under my bed and came across my old PC.

What i want to know is can RAM be upgraded? Can it have an SSD? Can it maybe even have a different graphics card?

Big ask i know but was just curious

Its a ‘packard bell imedia S3720’
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
If it's this PC click, then it's not worth it.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 22nd Jun
All those things should be possible I would recommend the ssd most
I would buy a used one off eBay.
My mate got an i5 4 series 8gb ram and 250gb ssd win 10 pro and WiFi.
For £150 ish.
Works great and boots in under 1 min.
Looks like it's from circa 2008. You can upgrade the memory and SSD but it's a bit old for a general purpose PC - it'll probably take a bit of effort to find a secure OS to run on it.
The RAM is super slow, and as for SSD, most motherboards from that era are only going to have IDE connectors for storage. Better off getting a deal on ITZoo
spruceyb22/06/2020 22:32

The RAM is super slow, and as for SSD, most motherboards from that era are …The RAM is super slow, and as for SSD, most motherboards from that era are only going to have IDE connectors for storage. Better off getting a deal on ITZoo

SATA came in during the early 2000s. IDE was long dead by 2008.
What I wanna know is how many things you've got under your bed
Edited by: "notalwaysright19" 22nd Jun
EndlessWaves22/06/2020 22:35

SATA came in during the early 2000s. IDE was long dead by 2008.

I looked at this pc-specs.com/mob…308 which didn't mention SATA.
Some other Socket 775 LGA mobos I glanced at mentioned IDE so I assumed.
just stick a linux distro on it.

Looks like it does have SATA (so can take SSD
With a Core 2 Quad Q8300, it's actually got some ok CPU power to pair with a graphics card
The position of the GPU slot at the bottom means it must be a single slot card - also got to consider the power available
Some references have the motherboard supporting max 4GB RAM, others say 8GB - in just 2 sticks of DDR2 - a pair of 2GB from CEX would not be expensive, and would take it to 4GB - it's probably only got 2x 1GB at the moment

A Core 2 Quad can run Windows 10 adequately, and on the Win7 licence free upgrade
Edited by: "matth9999" 23rd Jun
Agreed with @tardytortoise - find a lightweight Linux distro like Lubuntu.

Depends what you intend running on it. Browsing the web you'll be fine. Anything too CPU intensive it will struggle.
dyslexic_idoit23/06/2020 08:01

Agreed with @tardytortoise - find a lightweight Linux distro like …Agreed with @tardytortoise - find a lightweight Linux distro like Lubuntu.Depends what you intend running on it. Browsing the web you'll be fine. Anything too CPU intensive it will struggle.

I did see a headline somewhere saying the new Lubuntu is a bit of a mess. Couldn't click through for some reason so no idea what those reasons were. Personally an XFCE de for me - usually Mint XFCE.
Thanks all, it was more curiosity more than anything else. I did test it and it works perfectly fine for browsing etc. Literally forgot i still had it for so many years(lol)
matth999923/06/2020 02:12

[Video] Looks like it does have SATA (so can take SSDWith a Core 2 Quad …[Video] Looks like it does have SATA (so can take SSDWith a Core 2 Quad Q8300, it's actually got some ok CPU power to pair with a graphics cardThe position of the GPU slot at the bottom means it must be a single slot card - also got to consider the power availableSome references have the motherboard supporting max 4GB RAM, others say 8GB - in just 2 sticks of DDR2 - a pair of 2GB from CEX would not be expensive, and would take it to 4GB - it's probably only got 2x 1GB at the momentA Core 2 Quad can run Windows 10 adequately, and on the Win7 licence free upgrade

You're just assuming it comes with a Core 2 Quad Q8300. What if it comes with a Celeron E3200? If you're going to upgrade from a E3200 to a Q8300 for £5.49 click then you need to upgrade the RAM. You need to buy matching 2x2GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM (so you don't have compatibility issues) which is expense for an old machine. Then if you're going to add a SSD it won't be SATA 3, and it will run at half the speed.

It's not worth it to upgrade.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 23rd Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text