Old people problem with sky & remote

Found 27th Nov 2012
Got an old neighbour and he keeps pressing the tv button before dialling in the channel for sky, pain in the rear because it puts the tv into analogue mode and getting it back to HDMI input is a pain for them. So I have to go over all the time. Any suggestions ?

1. Misc
  2. Movie
  3. Sky
30 Comments

Take the button off the remote.

Banned

Make them get Virgin.

Move house.

http://www.stevenhumour.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/remote-controls-for-old-people.jpg

reprogamme the sky remote to do nothing to the tv. Then tell them to use the normal tv remote to turn it on and the sky one will only do sky functions.

Original Poster

pinkleponkle

reprogamme the sky remote to do nothing to the tv. Then tell them to use … reprogamme the sky remote to do nothing to the tv. Then tell them to use the normal tv remote to turn it on and the sky one will only do sky functions.

Tried that, but they pressing wrong buttons on that one as well lol.

Original Poster

sancho1983

I like that. Perhaps they should make an overlay.

Perfect place for them.

http://mercuryschool.webs.com/Graveyard.jpg

Our TV has options for default source when switched on, you can choose any of the sources or just last used as default, maybe there is an option to set the HDMI port the box is on to be default so all he has to do is the old faithful "have you tried turning it off then on again?" and save you a journey all the time.

I'd give up if I were you. If they can't operate the remote, there's no chance they will have updated their will to include you!

Original Poster

harlzter

Our TV has options for default source when switched on, you can choose … Our TV has options for default source when switched on, you can choose any of the sources or just last used as default, maybe there is an option to set the HDMI port the box is on to be default so all he has to do is the old faithful "have you tried turning it off then on again?" and save you a journey all the time.

Ooh. What make tv is that. May be the answer.

Similar to above post, I had same problem with my coffin dodging in-laws. I went into menu and switched of all inputs expect the HDMI which was fed by sky. They can now only get hdmi 1 = sky.
Worked a charm, no more bloody phone calls !!
I guess this will depend on if your tv allows this. They had a Hitachi 42inch from Argos.

Original Poster

woodie22

Similar to above post, I had same problem with my coffin dodging in-laws. … Similar to above post, I had same problem with my coffin dodging in-laws. I went into menu and switched of all inputs expect the HDMI which was fed by sky. They can now only get hdmi 1 = sky.Worked a charm, no more bloody phone calls !!I guess this will depend on if your tv allows this. They had a Hitachi 42inch from Argos.

This is what I was thinking. The tv is philips and doesn't have this option to disable inputs.

Banned

classic boron thread X)

aircanman

Ooh. What make tv is that. May be the answer.

a sammy 40" about 4/5 years old

Original Poster

harlzter

a sammy 40" about 4/5 years old

Ok. Thanks for that, will nip into currys and see which ones do. May be the answer.

danmc

That cookie has a sad face, it wants the milky milky (and if you can remember that you are getting old, so pay heed to all the suggestions made about remotes - it may be you soon)

Give them an electric shock everytime they press it

Banned

casparwhite

classic boron thread X)

Classic Boron reply.

aww, i feel sorry for your neighbours - im sure they must try their best not to bother you but at their age- it probably can't be helped. . .. there really should be a simple remote for the oldies.. good on ya to go and help them. what a gem.

This amazon.co.uk/gp/…-21

You can programme it to 'Turn TV on' which turns on the TV and the sky box in one swift action with one press of a button.
Then when you press the power off button it turns off both machines.

You can also programme the buttons near the screen and word them yourself so you could put 'TV HDMI 1' to turn it from Analogue to HDMI 1 instantly if they do get into trouble (pretty hard to with this remote!).

Banned

I shot my grandma

Original Poster

sickly sweet

This … This http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FQNDNK/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21You can programme it to 'Turn TV on' which turns on the TV and the sky box in one swift action with one press of a button.Then when you press the power off button it turns off both machines.You can also programme the buttons near the screen and word them yourself so you could put 'TV HDMI 1' to turn it from Analogue to HDMI 1 instantly if they do get into trouble (pretty hard to with this remote!).

Thanks for your reply, I would love to get something like this, but I still think it will be too complicated. Not had one of these before so not sure how they work, surely they would have to press other buttons though as well as the shortcut keys?

aircanman

Thanks for your reply, I would love to get something like this, but I … Thanks for your reply, I would love to get something like this, but I still think it will be too complicated. Not had one of these before so not sure how they work, surely they would have to press other buttons though as well as the shortcut keys?

I've played around with a model quite similar to this and I'm sorry to say; if a standard sky remote is difficult, that will be It also adds the complexity of small buttons and another screen. My end solution was a pair of scissor to the undesirable buttons unfortunately.

Surely there are a lot of people in the exact same position and there is a market there. Sky could potentially knock a few fairly bespoke simplified remotes out at £30+ each and get subsidised for it...
Edited by: "jaybear88" 28th Nov 2012

aircanman

Thanks for your reply, I would love to get something like this, but I … Thanks for your reply, I would love to get something like this, but I still think it will be too complicated. Not had one of these before so not sure how they work, surely they would have to press other buttons though as well as the shortcut keys?

Honestly, they are simple. Couldn't be simpler actually.

If you look at the photo, at the top there are 4 red buttons. One says 'watch tv', another 'watch movies' another 'listen to music' (I think, I can't remember what the 4th one says, I never do anything other than watch tv and watch movies lol).
You press the 'watch tv' button and the remote turns on the tv followed by the sky box and sets it to HDMI 1 automatically. Then you use the one remote to change channels (there's a guide button, the normal coloured buttons, number buttons etc, everything you'd need) and it also changes the volume.
It takes about 20 minutes to set the remote up initially on the computer, but once it's done then you're ready to go. During set up you let the remote know the brand of tv, sky box, dvd player etc and which AV inputs they all use so it's all automatic when they press the 'watch tv' or 'watch movies' buttons.
Honestly it is so simple. You can also set the buttons around the screen to say what you want and the buttons to do what you want, eg 'HDMI 1' would change it to HDMI 1, or 'volume up' would increase the volume or 'turn off tv' would turn off the tv - those buttons you can personalise with whatever you choose.

You can also choose what to make some of the buttons on the main part of the controller do, but I suspect you won't need to do that.
I'd get one, it's so easy to use even my mum can use it (she can't use a mobile phone or laptop, so that's how non-technical minded she is).

Banned

AndyC1971

Classic Boron reply.

indeed X)

jaybear88

I've played around with a model quite similar to this and I'm sorry to … I've played around with a model quite similar to this and I'm sorry to say; if a standard sky remote is difficult, that will be It also adds the complexity of small buttons and another screen. Surely there are a lot of people in the exact same position and there is a market there. Sky could potentially knock a few fairly bespoke simplified remotes out at £30+ each and get subsidised for it...

Once set up properly it's the simplest remote to use. Simple instructions on the buttons like 'watch tv' turning on both the tv and sky box automatically, and then being able to change channels and volume with the one controller couldn't be easier.
Having the screen makes things easier for mum - if she's stuck she'll pop on her glasses and the help function walks her through the automatic problem finding solutions. She's only needed to do this once and it was because I'd taken out the HDMI cable and plugged it back into the wrong HDMI socket (so HDMI 2 instead of HDMI 1) which was completely my fault but she fixed it.
It's such an intuitive remote and genuinely easy to use.

sickly sweet

Once set up properly it's the simplest remote to use. Simple instructions … Once set up properly it's the simplest remote to use. Simple instructions on the buttons like 'watch tv' turning on both the tv and sky box automatically, and then being able to change channels and volume with the one controller couldn't be easier.Having the screen makes things easier for mum - if she's stuck she'll pop on her glasses and the help function walks her through the automatic problem finding solutions. She's only needed to do this once and it was because I'd taken out the HDMI cable and plugged it back into the wrong HDMI socket (so HDMI 2 instead of HDMI 1) which was completely my fault but she fixed it.It's such an intuitive remote and genuinely easy to use.

Ah fair enough actually. Guess it depends on the user as when I tried it, it caused a technophobic reaction when I tried to get them to read the onscreen instructions. This involved them pushing the remote away and a complete "aw I don't understand these computer thingies" and a refusal to even try

jaybear88

Surely there are a lot of people in the exact same position and there is … Surely there are a lot of people in the exact same position and there is a market there. Sky could potentially knock a few fairly bespoke simplified remotes out at £30+ each and get subsidised for it...

Nice one, you just reminded me sky do a special remote for visually impaired/elderly/people with dexterity, I think the buttons are raised slightly more so it may help.

and its FREE

accessibility.sky.com/

jaybear88

Ah fair enough actually. Guess it depends on the user as when I tried it, … Ah fair enough actually. Guess it depends on the user as when I tried it, it caused a technophobic reaction when I tried to get them to read the onscreen instructions. This involved them pushing the remote away and a complete "aw I don't understand these computer thingies" and a refusal to even try

PMSL
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants