Expired

Old School Pudding Recipes!

Found 31st Jul 2011
I was out with friends last night as we got onto the subject of old school dinner puddings!

This got me thinking and since it's a Sunday, I have been baking with my stepson.

We have produced:
Cornflake Tart
Concrete Chocolate
and will make the green mint custard later!

Thought I's share my recipe with you guys!! Anyone else have an old school favorite and possibly any recipes?

Not just puddings!
Community Updates
MiscPuddingSchool
30 Comments
Bread pudding, rice pudding
CONCRETE CHOCOLATE
510g margarine
680g plain flour
20g baking powder
510g sugar
55g cocoa
1 egg (size 4) MEDIUM
pinch of salt
1.Mix all dry ingredients together.
2. Rub in margarine.
3. Beat the egg and add to the mixture. (for best results mix entirely in a food mixer or processor).
4. Knead lightly until mixture blends together.
5. Press into well-greased shallow tins.
6. Bake gently for 25 - 30 minutes Gas mark 4. Do not over bake.
7. Put a lid on the tin and keep warm otherwise crunch will set hard - like concrete.

MINT CUSTARD

300mls milk
20grms cornflour
2 tbsp caster sugar
peppermint extract
green food colouring (optional)

1. Measure 300mls milk into a jug.
2. In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cornflour and several tablespoons of the milk to make a smooth paste.
3. Place the milk in a pan and add the cornflour and sugar paste. Stir well to combine and slowly bring to the boil stirring all the time.
4. As the mixture thickens add the peppermint extract to taste. If using add the food colouring.
CORNFLAKE TART

Shortcrust Pastry

6oz/180g flour
3 oz/80g butter
1floz/30ml water

Filling

4oz/110g Golden Syrup
3oz/80g Cornflakes
2oz/40g Butter
1oz/30g Sugar
4oz/110g Red Jam

Method

1. Line the tart trays (I used a flan dish) with the pastry and crimp the edges

2. **** the pastry all over and bake blind, for approx 20 minutes at Gas 6/400F/200C/180 Fan

3. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a large heavy bottomed saucepan, then stir in the cornflakes.

4. Spread a thin layer of jam over the pastry case and place the cornflake mix on top.

5. Return the tart to the oven for 5 minutes to allow the mixture to set. More then 5 mins, the cornflakes burn. 2nd attempt was much better!

baked alaska was king
apparently you can't "p rick" the pastry all over on hotukdeals!
joeprosho

baked alaska was king

I've never had this!

Anyone have the recipe for the cheese flan thing?
cdemico

Anyone have the recipe for the cheese flan thing?

Isn't it just the same as quiche but served warm?
cheese flan. from a school meals kitchen. Makes 12 primary portions (apparently)

275g flour
60g marg
60g trex

filling:
35g pudding rice
1 egg
350g cheese
300ml milk
seasoning.

Heat rice and milk until it resembles thick rice pudding.

Make pastry and line tin.

Lightly bake pastry cases.
Add egg and cheese to rice mixture.

Place into pastry cases and spread evenly.

Cook at 180 degrees for approx 15mins.
Edited by: "kt21" 31st Jul 2011
Anyone have a recipe for fudge tart?
We used to have a pudding called Wellington Pudding, anybody else remember it?
sancho1983

We used to have a pudding called Wellington Pudding, anybody else … We used to have a pudding called Wellington Pudding, anybody else remember it?

Is that the one that tastes like old boots?
sancho1983

We used to have a pudding called Wellington Pudding, anybody else … We used to have a pudding called Wellington Pudding, anybody else remember it?

Wellington Fudge Pudding (Castletown School)

Sponge
115g SR flour
50g caster sugar
18g cocoa
27.5g margarine
140ml milk

Melt margarine in milk over a low heat. Sift flour, sugar and cocoa into a bowl and add margarine mixture. Mix well and pour into well greased pie dish or casserole dish.

Sauce
25g caster sugar
27.5g drinking chocolate
140g boiling water

Mix the above together and stir until sugar has dissolved. Pour over sponge mixture.

Place in preheated oven 375'F/190'C for 35/40 mins or until firm to touch. The pudding seperates into a rich sponge with a chocolate sauce below.

Serves 4/5

(source, not sauce)
I am a school cook and the 2 favourite puddings we still make is Butterscotch tart and Icky sticky toffee pudding, the children love it!
bitseylango

I am a school cook and the 2 favourite puddings we still make is … I am a school cook and the 2 favourite puddings we still make is Butterscotch tart and Icky sticky toffee pudding, the children love it!

would've loved to have gone to your school X) I went to a private school ane we were fed mostly some form of gruel, savoury mince and jam roly poly, the fees certainly didn't go on food
kt21

cheese flan. from a school meals kitchen. Makes 12 primary portions … cheese flan. from a school meals kitchen. Makes 12 primary portions (apparently)275g flour60g marg60g trexfilling:35g pudding rice1 egg350g cheese300ml milkseasoning.Heat rice and milk until it resembles thick rice pudding.Make pastry and line tin.Lightly bake pastry cases.Add egg and cheese to rice mixture.Place into pastry cases and spread evenly.Cook at 180 degrees for approx 15mins.

Rice Pudding?!? I would nver have guessed!!! Thanks kt21!
Cornflake tart.. I remember that! IT WAS AMAZING!
American rice krispie treats.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/4061397928_cfdc32ef44.jpg

Get a big bag of marshmallows, some butter (or marge) and a box of rice krispies.

1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. Add rice krispies. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.

You can add chocolate chips or even replace the rice krispies with coco pops if you want it a bit more chocolaty.
Cornflake tart was amazing.
Jetpac

Cornflake tart.. I remember that! IT WAS AMAZING!

sancho1983

Cornflake tart was amazing.

You know you both want to try making it!!!
Ungreat

American rice krispie treats.Get a big bag of marshmallows, some butter … American rice krispie treats.Get a big bag of marshmallows, some butter (or marge) and a box of rice krispies.1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.2. Add rice krispies. Stir until well coated.3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.You can add chocolate chips or even replace the rice krispies with coco pops if you want it a bit more chocolaty.

Nom looks good!
Hi i come from Surrey and we used to have a cream for puddings called shaving foam has anyone got the recipe please
blodi53

Hi i come from Surrey and we used to have a cream for puddings called … Hi i come from Surrey and we used to have a cream for puddings called shaving foam has anyone got the recipe please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVqANwng_M4

Was it fruit flavoured? I think if its what I am thinking of it was evap milk and jelly mixed (use the evap milk in place of water).
does anyone remember the chocolate and mint and coconut squares that were made i need the reciepie if anyone has it please
We had about 4 different puddings at my school (not counting fruit)

- Cornflake Tart
- Chocolate Sponge with either Green Mint Custard or Pink Strawberry Custard
- Clementine Cheesecake
- Rice Pudding (Yuck)
Any one know recipe for chocolate pudding from school days it had a pastry base
Anybody got the old school cheese cake recipe please ?
We used to have I think it was called or so I'm told Manchester tart , I have tasted some people have made but just not the same .. It was the pudding with the blob of cream on top although I don't think it was real cream lol
My husband is trying to remember the old school pudding all he can remember is the sponge was like a lemon colour sponge the top of it was ginger if anyone can help him out with a name that would great then I Can bake him some
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions