Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

old skool DVD & 4K Smart TV - question about upscaling

Posted 8th NovEdited by:"TopTrump"
So, I've got boxes of DVD's acquired over the years which I'm not all that keen on the hassle of getting rid of, these are classic films I grew up watching, neither do I really fancy shelling out more money for updated Blu-Ray replacement disks for films that weren't filmed in 4K.

I've equipped myself with a 4K Smart TV which has upscaling built in. It seems to work quite well on digital media. Using an HDD & WiFi most media is downloaded as a file or streamed to the TV.

But back to these old skool DVDs, will the TV's built-in upscaler working together with a 5 year old 1080p HD Blu-Ray/DVD player perform the same as the TV paired up with a new gen 4K Blu-Ray/DVD player that also has its own built in upscaler? Upscaler squared, waste of time or wait until they fall in price. I don't really need to spend another £150 - £200 on something that just spins disks.
Do I need to upgrade yet another piece of equipment when films on physical media are going the way of the do-do with digital media seems to be here to stay.

It seems the new gen of 4K capable Blu-Ray/Doovdé players have network streaming and other functions that I don't need (covered by TV &/or 4K Roku stick) so it's paying for something that's not going to be used which I find criminal.
I may get a few box sets or films released on 4K Blu-Ray when I simply must have my own copy.

Or should I just get a laptop external USB DVD/Blu-Ray player (if they exist?) and ditch the HD DVD player as well?

Un petit de guidance s'il vous plaît?
Any recommendations for a good 4K DVD/Blu-Ray player that's free of junk functions I don't need?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Don't overthink it too much. They are standard definition DVDs, just stick the disc in whatever DVD or Blu-Ray player you have and enjoy the movie.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 8th Nov
I would just download the films off the net that you have on dvd and stick them on a hard drive . Or rip them and stick then on a drive as well .
Upscaling is just making lots of pixels out of a few not a magical transformation so a 4K TV or a 4K blu-ray will upscale everything to 4K, and a blu-ray player everything to 1080p. They will all do a great job - dont worry about double upscaling etc etc
Junk functions dont cost more - other people want differnt things - it would cost more to do you a special version
"Filmed in 4K" - thats irrelevant. Film restorations look great.
If you dont want any more disks - I dont - then go for 4K streaming like Itunes movies using a 4K box or stick

Basically dont over-think things. Get the best 4K TV and a couple of 4K sources or something like Netflix thats within your budget
Edited by: "jwsg" 8th Nov
jwsg08/11/2019 22:15

Upscaling is just making lots of pixels out of a few not a magical …Upscaling is just making lots of pixels out of a few not a magical transformation so a 4K TV or a 4K blu-ray will upscale everything to 4K, and a blu-ray player everything to 1080p. They will all do a great job - dont worry about double upscaling etc etc Junk functions dont cost more - other people want differnt things - it would cost more to do you a special version"Filmed in 4K" - thats irrelevant. Film restorations look great.If you dont want any more disks - I dont - then go for 4K streaming like Itunes movies using a 4K box or stickBasically dont over-think things. Get the best 4K TV and a couple of 4K sources or something like Netflix

I'm just doing a bit of an old tech clearout with a visit to CEX imminent. Just trying to decide what to keep and what to ditch for beer money.

"Junk functions" - not quite what I meant, but already I've got three if not 4 ways of launching Amazon, BBC iPlayer, Netflix on my TV. It seems the new players that spin doovdés or Blu-Ray have streaming also built in, to sort of try and justify the higher than expected price tag. Some have HDD's, front mounted USB input - my setup already has all of that.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 8th Nov
TopTrump08/11/2019 22:19

...for films that weren't filmed in 4K

Film stock has greater definition than anything recorded in 4k, and any film stock transferred to 4k or any other multiple-k loses definition by the very nature of the process, but does provide stability for long-term archiving.
But that statement may simply trigger dull debate which isn't the point being made, the point is that a modern x-k transfer of an "old film" should have a more detailed and vibrant appearance than any previous low-res (DVD) release - assuming the source is still in great condition.
AndyRoyd08/11/2019 22:36

Film stock has greater definition than anything recorded in 4k, and any …Film stock has greater definition than anything recorded in 4k, and any film stock transferred to 4k or any other multiple-k loses definition by the very nature of the process, but does provide stability for long-term archiving.But that statement may simply trigger dull debate which isn't the point being made, the point is that a modern x-k transfer of an "old film" should have a more detailed and vibrant appearance than any previous low-res (DVD) release - assuming the source is still in great condition.

Again, my mistake, didn't mean filmed in 4K, meant mastered for 4K.

Appreciate the detail captured by film is then mastered down to 720, 1080 or now 4K and that digital is just a useful archiving medium. Just like sound, analogue done properly, rules.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 8th Nov
TopTrump08/11/2019 22:45

Again, my mistake, didn't mean filmed in 4K, meant mastered for …Again, my mistake, didn't mean filmed in 4K, meant mastered for 4K.Appreciate the detail captured by film is then mastered down to 720, 1080 or now 4K and that digital is just a useful archiving medium. Just like sound, analogue done properly, rules.

That's fine, but in the vast majority of cases a bluray / 4k version of what was previously available on DVD will look dramatically more impressive than any upscaled DVD source, which may tick your boxes for "neither do I really fancy shelling out more money for updated Blu-Ray replacement disks for films that weren't filmed in 4K", especially considering used-excellent BR can be exceptionally cheap.
TopTrump08/11/2019 22:45

Again, my mistake, didn't mean filmed in 4K, meant mastered for …Again, my mistake, didn't mean filmed in 4K, meant mastered for 4K.Appreciate the detail captured by film is then mastered down to 720, 1080 or now 4K and that digital is just a useful archiving medium. Just like sound, analogue done properly, rules.

Even films mastered in 2K, then upscaled on 4K blu ray, look better than their standard blu ray counterparts. Especially when HDR is then layered over the top of that. It’s really not as black and white as it all looks. Pacific Rim is one of the best looking 4K blu rays available, yet it was only mastered in 2K.

The quality of an upscaled dvd depends on the player and the TV connected to it. If you’re playing them on a £40 blu ray player and a £300 tv, they aren’t going to look as good as being upscaled on a £300 blu ray player and £1500 tv. You do get what you pay for in these sort of things.

If you’re looking to move to digital (I’m still going nowhere near it until UK Law catches up with it. Don’t like the idea that it can just go down (company goes bust) and you lose everything. Some people have lost Itunes purchases because the rights expired) then I recommend an Apple TV 4K box or one of the newer Nvidia Shield TVs. Depending on whether you want to back Apple or Google for your digital purchases that is. Easily the two best streaming boxes on the market for picture quality.
Haircut_10008/11/2019 22:07

Don't overthink it too much. They are standard definition DVDs, just stick …Don't overthink it too much. They are standard definition DVDs, just stick the disc in whatever DVD or Blu-Ray player you have and enjoy the movie.

^this if you are watching a 'picture' and worrying about this stuff then the movie makers have not done their job.
After buying the same film on DVD then blu-ray and now they're on 4K streaming I just dumped the DVDs on the end - it seems a waste but there's not enough hours in the day to watch everything, so I just watch films on 4K Itunes, blu-rays upscaled which look fine, and theres great new stuff on Prime etc also in 4K.

The TV has great apps and so does the ATV nox - its worth having duplication as tech always goes wrong at the worst time
The 'junk functions' you talk about are software features that'll be common to the manufacturer's entire range of Smart TV stuff, not something developed specifically for the Blu-Ray UHD players.

Does your current player have the ability to output DVDs at native resolution, that's going to be the best option if all your discs are DVDs.
OPPO UDP-203 MR 4K/UHD Blu-ray player - might be the answer before getting into the realms of 4 digit price tags.
TopTrump08/11/2019 22:19

I'm just doing a bit of an old tech clearout with a visit to CEX imminent. …I'm just doing a bit of an old tech clearout with a visit to CEX imminent. Just trying to decide what to keep and what to ditch for beer money."Junk functions" - not quite what I meant, but already I've got three if not 4 ways of launching Amazon, BBC iPlayer, Netflix on my TV. It seems the new players that spin doovdés or Blu-Ray have streaming also built in, to sort of try and justify the higher than expected price tag. Some have HDD's, front mounted USB input - my setup already has all of that.

You won't get beer money from DVDs if going to CEX. For the DVDs they sell for 50p you get 1p per dvd and for the DVDs they sell for £1 you get 10p. If you had a random collection of 100 DVDs most would fit into those two prices, with maybe 5-10 sold by them for slightly more than £1, therefore getting you slightly more money, but in general 100 random DVDs would get you about £5-10.
MIDURIX09/11/2019 22:06

You won't get beer money from DVDs if going to CEX. For the DVDs they sell …You won't get beer money from DVDs if going to CEX. For the DVDs they sell for 50p you get 1p per dvd and for the DVDs they sell for £1 you get 10p. If you had a random collection of 100 DVDs most would fit into those two prices, with maybe 5-10 sold by them for slightly more than £1, therefore getting you slightly more money, but in general 100 random DVDs would get you about £5-10.

So A beer bearing in mind London prices.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants