Old Sky+ box (Non-HD)

Posted 4th Aug 2020
Hi all,
I've got an old White Amstrad Sky+ box (non-HD), and I still have my old viewing card but the subscription ended in ~2015.

I've got a load of recordings on there, which I tried to extract using exPVR, but they are encrypted (they were from E4 when it was a subscription-only channel).

I know I can set up the box as a Freesat box with a new card (or watch a few Free To Air channels with my old card, I think) - but would this somehow trigger the recordings to decrypt as E4 is no longer an encrypted channel?

If I can find a solution I can then rip the recordings from the hard drive with exPVR.

Anyone got any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
It would probably be quicker and easier to just find the programmes elsewhere?
bobdylan04/08/2020 15:08

It would probably be quicker and easier to just find the programmes …It would probably be quicker and easier to just find the programmes elsewhere?

Totally - it's a random show that you can't get anywhere called 'Ed' (the only torrents are really really low quality) - it'll never get a DVD release due to arguments over the music in the show, apparently
Have you tried plugging it in and seeing if the recordings play?
If they do they you can try using a media recorder from the output then set all the episodes playing and it recording.
You'd have to split the file or do an episode at a time.
joedastudd04/08/2020 18:32

Have you tried plugging it in and seeing if the recordings play?If they do …Have you tried plugging it in and seeing if the recordings play?If they do they you can try using a media recorder from the output then set all the episodes playing and it recording.You'd have to split the file or do an episode at a time.

Last time I tried it wouldn't play, but at the time E4 was a subscription channel - I've got to dig the box out and try it like you suggest and see what happens. I've got a capture device but it's so slow in realtime it gets frustrating. That exPVR software was amazing for my other Sky box - copies things in seconds using a USB hard drive adaptor.
Post a comment
@
    Text