Old Software on 64 Bit Windows

Found 9th May 2012
Hi, I have an old game I want to run but apparently it says I can't run it as I am using a 64 Bit Windows!

Is there a workaround? Thanks
Community Updates
MiscWindows
21 Comments
deleted193256
probably have to run it in XP
Original Poster Banned
thegroutch

probably have to run it in XP

Really? There must be a way surely?
What about running it in virtual pc?
use xp mode in windows 7
Original Poster Banned
DVS_Dee

use xp mode in windows 7

I only have Windows Home Premium, and you don't get XP Mode with that.
Original Poster Banned
Hissy Miss

What about running it in virtual pc?

What's that?
jaydog69

I only have Windows Home Premium, and you don't get XP Mode with that.

ahh, try virtualbox and install xp
This probably wont make a difference but might be worth a go, have you tried running the .exe in compatibility mode for XP? (This doesnt require 'XP Mode')
Nevermind, cant see a version for windows 7 home. It's a program that lets you run a virtual pc on your computer. You can install whatever OS you want on it and can configure it in many ways. 2007 one says it runs on XP and vista but later one only works with windows 7 pro and ultimate. Pity though as it was quite handy.
What game is it???
Original Poster Banned
tomwatts

What game is it???

Beavis and Butthead Do U
DVS_Dee

ahh, try virtualbox and install xp

Only downside of this is I have found some games dont recognise the graphics driver in virtual box, can be a **** to get set up right. Mind you if its a very old game that might not be an issue.

Other thing is getting a copy of XP installation and serial if you dont have one already.
Original Poster Banned
CalumH93

This probably wont make a difference but might be worth a go, have you … This probably wont make a difference but might be worth a go, have you tried running the .exe in compatibility mode for XP? (This doesnt require 'XP Mode')

I can't even install the CD on my laptop let alone try clicking on the exe.
Howd you mean? does it recognise the disc? If so you could view files on the disk and then run the installer/setup file in compatibility mode
Original Poster Banned
CalumH93

Howd you mean? does it recognise the disc? If so you could view files on … Howd you mean? does it recognise the disc? If so you could view files on the disk and then run the installer/setup file in compatibility mode

It recognises the disc, but when you select to install it, it says it isn't compatable with a 64 bit system.
Original Poster Banned
CalumH93

Howd you mean? does it recognise the disc? If so you could view files on … Howd you mean? does it recognise the disc? If so you could view files on the disk and then run the installer/setup file in compatibility mode

Just tried that - it didn't work at all. Still says the 64 bit / 32 bit message.
youtube.com/wat…aAM

haven't watched it so can't say if will work. Involves registry changes
Edited by: "newbie1001" 9th May 2012
jaydog69

Just tried that - it didn't work at all. Still says the 64 bit / 32 bit … Just tried that - it didn't work at all. Still says the 64 bit / 32 bit message.

Sorry no idea then. Good luck though!
Have you tried 3 Weetabix?
I had exactly the same problem. I tried everything (I think) but gave up in the end. It seems that 32 bit programs wont run on a 64 bit computer with Windows 7 Home.
howtogeek.com/how…on/

seems vmplayer 3 will allow xp mode of sorts according to above then you would need to import a couple of reg entries (right click / merge) I've uploaded them (the DVD-ROM is set to be D: you'll need to edit it to your actual drive letter if it's not D:

Files
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions